NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-17, 01:07 PM   #1
Trouter23
Native

Default Smith in the snow

For a few weeks now, I had plans to fish Smith this past Friday. The forecast for snow didn't change those plans.

In short, it was spectacular. The scenery was beautiful, the solitude was peaceful, the catching was fun, and the overall experience was something special.

It was noon and snowing when I first arrived at the Lodge to sign in. The roads were starting to collect snow. I parked under the parking deck in order to get dressed without getting snowed on. Pulling out of the parking deck area back up to the main area by the Lodge, the rear end of my truck started to barely slip a little, so I decided to park in the gravel parking area right beside the dam at the top, in case the road out of the parking lot by the field got too slick right there at the hill at the stop sign. I did wonder, though, if the roads are already slick, what will they be like when I come off the stream? Then, realizing that I was at a warm lodge, I figured, worst case scenario, I'm sleeping on the couch by the fireplace in the lodge. So, of course, I went fishing.

I walked across the road and down the steeeep hill I went - on my feet, amazingly. I figured that with felt-bottomed boots, I would for sure be sliding down on my rear end. But, somehow, I managed to stay upright. When I got down to the bottom, I crossed the creek, which immediately got me up to my hips in water. Thankfully, no leaks in my waders.

I walked downstream and to the big field to see how it looked, and the parking lot had one truck in it. Sweet.

The big field was covered in inches of snow. I walked across it, seemingly putting the first footprints in it of the day.

When I got to where I wanted to begin the day, I was into fish within a few casts. I went into the day expecting low numbers and looking forward to the challenge. Throughout the day, though, I was pleasantly surprised. The acclimatization that Dredger spoke of in his latest article apparently hadn't hit these fish yet. They were starving, and energetic, including aerial acrobatics from a few of them. As for which flies I was using, I simply followed Dredger's advice from his latest report - and, boy did it pay off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uf2G5ncSQ0

Next four shots are of same fish.

As the day went on, the snow let up. But, around 3:30PM or so, it started snowing so heavily and got so dark that my strike detection went to almost zero. After bouncing a few fish because I couldn't even see my brightly colored sighter, I called it a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpNL47hbCUw

And yes, I made it home . . . eventually. The drive home that normally takes 2 1/2 hours, took 5 hours that night. But, thank God, I made it home safe and sound to my own warm bed that night.

Last edited by Trouter23; 12-10-17 at 06:29 PM.
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 02:15 PM   #2
splatek16

Absolutely stellar!
Scenery is nothing short of spectacular.
Great job
Great fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 07:16 AM   #3
djangofly
Native

Awesome report! Thanks for the reminder to check Dredger's report as well for tactics.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 07:58 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Cool scenery and great report. Glad you got home safe. I was forced to retreat from the dam due to the park closing early but that was the right call. The snow takes the peacefulness of fishing to a whole new level.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 08:20 AM   #5
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 11:02 AM   #6
jkwolek1971
Native

Great post and great pics.. I was at the dam and it was beautiful.... Hope it snows again soon..

Joe
jkwolek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 11:13 AM   #7
AtlFlyGuy
Stocker

Great report and I'm jealous as hell. Scenery sure looks beautiful. We had plans to celebrate my daughter's 2nd birthday near Helen, with hopes of a side fishing trip, but the snow completely wrecked that. Glad to see someone was able to get out and enjoy it, and make it back safe!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
AtlFlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 11:48 AM   #8
ChaChung
Native

Just beautiful!

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 05:28 PM   #9
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

What a day! Thanks for sharing it with us
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 08:32 PM   #10
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Great report! It occurred to me Friday that fishing and scenery at Smith might be spectacular in the snow, and your report confirms it.