NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-17, 01:10 PM   #11
cpk7394
Stocker

I appreciate all the ideas. I would like to have a chance at catching some Cutthroat trout as well. Iíve been watching videos about RMNP, but you guys are saying it will still be closed? Is there anywhere else good? I was thinking about Clear Creek.
cpk7394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 02:10 PM   #12
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default RMNP

I will say one last time that RMNP is rarely closed - saw that once due to a big fire and heard of one other time when the approach highways to the Park were snowed shut during a big March blizzard. The road over the top of the Park is typically open 3 to 4 months a year but the lower elevations offer almost year around access to at least sections of the Park. And the lower sections have more water anyway and correspondingly more trout! The Park is there if you want a better mountain experience, but if you just want to catch fish, the Platte will work for that as will Boulder Creek in town, and St Vrain depending on run off.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 08:36 PM   #13
FlickNdip
Native

One of my buddies guides in Estes. He eats sleeps and swims like a trout. If you're u are looking for one let me know.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 08:27 AM   #14
bamboo rod maker
Native

Default denver fishing

The park is never closed it just depends on the amount of snow as to how far you can go. You can useally get to Moraine Park to fish. I've been there in November ,Dec all times of the year. It can be cold and windy.I fished at the dam in January once and it was so cold I tied a couple of midges on my line once. I lasted about 5 minutes and went home. I had Cabin fever and just needed to wet a line. The road goes from Estes Park to Granby is plowed in June depending upon snow pack.
Fred
bamboo rod maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 08:34 AM   #15
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Estes Park

Saw a recent piece on PBS about Stephen King and the writing of 'The Shining' which was inspired by the Stanley Hotel on the east side of Estes. Story went that King and a couple friends drove out of Boulder one day just doing some site seeing and stumbled onto the Stanley. King was so intrigued with the place and the history that he tried to check in. But it was the last day of the season, all the guests were leaving and the staff was packing to go. But King pleaded and stayed there for a week. And if you recall 'The Shining' that whole scene should sound very familiar .................

A couple years before King's visit I was at CSU and fraternity social chairman looking for a place to hold our spring formal. Had the weekend of our formal not coincided with the Stanley putting in all new carpet we would have had our formal there. If you are in Estes, you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through the Stanley's lobby.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 07:15 PM   #16
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Saw a recent piece on PBS about Stephen King and the writing of 'The Shining' which was inspired by the Stanley Hotel on the east side of Estes. Story went that King and a couple friends drove out of Boulder one day just doing some site seeing and stumbled onto the Stanley. King was so intrigued with the place and the history that he tried to check in. But it was the last day of the season, all the guests were leaving and the staff was packing to go. But King pleaded and stayed there for a week. And if you recall 'The Shining' that whole scene should sound very familiar .................

A couple years before King's visit I was at CSU and fraternity social chairman looking for a place to hold our spring formal. Had the weekend of our formal not coincided with the Stanley putting in all new carpet we would have had our formal there. If you are in Estes, you owe it to yourself to talk a walk through the Stanley's lobby.
This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw "Estes." I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Dylar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 08:02 PM   #17
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post

One of my fraternity brothers spent part of his honeymoon at the Stanley hotel. When I was researching hotels in Estes park, the whole haunted hotel thing didn't come up and I only found out about it by chance watching a tv special.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-17, 09:30 AM   #18
bamboo rod maker
Native

Default estes park

I think that was the day I was there.
Fred
bamboo rod maker is offline   Reply With Quote