NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-17, 04:00 PM   #1
Hugo_Boots
Stocker

Default Jack's River Cohuttas

Howdy,

I do an annual New Years Eve Hike. (I also try to combine it with fly fishing).

Is the Jacks River in the Cohuttas open to fishing NOW??

Anyone fished the Jacks recently love to exchange a few emails, would also
welcome anyone else interested in fishing the Jacks Dec 29+/- to Jan 1 +/-

Any favorite access points you'd like to share thanks in advance.

Hugo Boots
Hugo_Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 04:52 PM   #2
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

From http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/...trout-fishing/

Trout Season

All designated trout waters are now open year round.
Trout Fishing Hours

• Fishing 24 hours a day is allowed on all trout streams and all impoundments on trout streams except those in the next paragraph.
  • Fishing hours on Dockery Lake, Rock Creek Lake, the Chattahoochee River from Buford Dam to Peachtree Creek, the Conasauga River watershed upstream of the Georgia-Tennessee state line and Smith Creek downstream of Unicoi dam are 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset. Night fishing is not allowed.
Trout Season

All designated trout waters are now open year round.
Trout Fishing Hours

• Fishing 24 hours a day is allowed on all trout streams and all impoundments on trout streams except those in the next paragraph.
  • Fishing hours on Dockery Lake, Rock Creek Lake, the Chattahoochee River from Buford Dam to Peachtree Creek, the Conasauga River watershed upstream of the Georgia-Tennessee state line and Smith Creek downstream of Unicoi dam are 30 minutes before sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset. Night fishing is not allowed.
Artificial Lures Only

In streams listed here only artificial lures may be used. It is unlawful to possess any other type bait on an “artificial lures only” stream (see definitions ).
  • Conasauga River and its tributaries (except Jacks River watershed) upstream of the Georgia-Tennessee state line are restricted to using only artificial lures from Nov. 1 through the last Saturday in March of each year. Natural baits may be used during trout season.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 09:15 PM   #3
iso1600
Native

I have never been to Jacks, but I've been to the other main flow in that area. It is NOT fishing good after the fires and last year's rough summer. I have written it off for a few years in hopes it will recover (I'm sure it will, given time and rain/snow).

I've never heard Jacks to be better (or even as good) fishing as the other flow to begin with. What am I getting at? It's prob not worth going if you want an epic fishing adventure, but you WILL still likely get some awesome freaking scenery and have a good time. I only caught a few on my Cohutta trip back in Oct but it was still a good day in the wilderness.