NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-17, 02:12 PM   #1
Redskiff
Stocker

Default Amicalola info?

I headed up there Sunday, just to get out of house. Not a good day but did manage 2 smaller rainbows.
The question I have is, at Steele bridge, are we able to go above the bridge up river? I have asked a few and some at the river and no one can give me a 100% yes or no. Donít want to cross lines I am not supposed to.
Next is. There were 3 river otters about mid way down I spooked and they did not like me being there. LOL Then on way back to truck, I hit the hole at bridge,well they were there to. Am I wasting my time fishing in the area they are? Do they clean out the river of trout pretty good?
Thanks guys.
Redskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 05:56 PM   #2
Budwick
Native

The otters aren't going anywhere so I say keep fishing! There are a couple at the 53 bridge as well. I watched one slip into the hole at the first handicap access and snag a big ol brook trout. It was very interesting to see basically all the trout in that hole huddled together swimming in a large circular pattern like I've seen baitfish do as the otter left with his meal. Took them about 4 min to settle down before I started to catch them again.

Instagram @_big_wurm
Budwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 10:02 PM   #3
JD
Native

Otters are a pain.
As far as fishing above the Steele Bridge, go for it. No season on trout, other than DH.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 09:54 AM   #4
splatek16
Native

Last season, I was fishing AMI at 53. I was catching a few fish, here and there, then I hear something coming up stream. I look. Two otters swimming right through the hole I was targeting. I was mesmerized. Nature on nature on nature, if you ask me. The hole shut down pretty quick, but the otters didn't stick around. They caught their limit and moved on. Then as Bud said, after a few minutes the trouts go back to being trouts and eating, junk for me... but again that was last season. I revel in any chance to observe wildlife in its natural habitat.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 11:14 PM   #5
bigorangefan
Native

Location: Alpharetta physically, standing in a stream mentally
Default Otters

I fished the highway 53 area today and saw an otter after I landed about 20. The otter arrived after the sun hit the water. I am not sure if that was a coincidence.

Those guys can do some damage to the population.
bigorangefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-17, 11:57 PM   #6
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Location: Chidspain Run, Delooth (Wells Fargo Call Center Interpretation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorangefan View Post
I fished the highway 53 area today and saw an otter after I landed about 20. The otter arrived after the sun hit the water. I am not sure if that was a coincidence.

Those guys can do some damage to the population.
Actually this is why I think people shouldn't be shamed for keeping a few fish one in awhile. Otters and herons are munching 24/7.

Jerry and I ran up on a heron eating a 17 inch brown about a month back.

It's hunting, not fishing.

Follow me on instagram @alexgreenfishing
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-17, 09:41 PM   #7
freestone1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Actually this is why I think people shouldn't be shamed for keeping a few fish one in awhile. Otters and herons are munching 24/7.

Jerry and I ran up on a heron eating a 17 inch brown about a month back.

No joke! Those birds are fish eating machines...made me think of this video of a heron catching/eating a good sized catfish. Itís pretty impressive. Iím guessing the cat is pushing 3 lbs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MP0DFVO16Zk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freestone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 09:42 AM   #8
splatek16
Native

^ that's awesome
Spencer and I have a video of a heron eating bluegill out of a lake run off /make shift dam thing. He sure about 15 fish in less than thirty minutes.
We couldn't turn away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote