NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-17, 03:02 PM   #1
WPrich
Native

Default Fun at the dam

All this talk about Island Ford lately, so I decided to see how the dam was fishing this morning for comparison. Got there about 9 and was amazed how clear it's become, and I was pretty much into fish after about 15 minutes. I've decided to work on my dry-dropping so my last few outings I've dedicated some time to it and I started with it today, and it was pretty productive. Landed about 10 this way and lost/missed a few and even had 2 bows come up and take my dry(RScotts neversink CDC caddis). After this I went to my bread and butter euronymphing and this brought most of the days action, tied on a bugger and a Walts and it was pretty steady until I left at 1. Only caught 3 browns but tangled with quite a few BIG rainbows in the 14-15 inch range. Main fly was the UV bugger Big T did a video on, that thing has been down right deadly some days. I was catching them on it so fast today a gentleman floated down to me and said "what the hell you got on the end of that line, I've watched you catch at least 15 fish" lol. The dam has given me trouble since I started fly fishing, so today was easily my best day there!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
WPrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 05:55 PM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Man that water clearing up nice, still murky down yonder ways. Bows where pretty small though. Thanks for the heads up Rich. The Nepalis where keeping everything, but left a few for me after they left biggest one was 8". Walts, mops (always work better for me in a little stain)

I worked through that hole missing a bunch then came back around after they left and did well before I left. I wanted to throw buggers today but haven't been out in almost a month and I was so eager to get out and try my waders I left my buggers and SD card in the my new camera.

Luckily, met this guy Steve around the island and he gave me one of his buggers (very similar to what Richard mentioned) and it didn't take long to land a nice post-spawn female (thanks Steve, nice metting you!) around 14.5, but no pic so it didn't happen.

Talked to a Tenkara guy and saw him pick up a few small ones as well. Fish haven't really spread out yet but once you find them they are there.
I might get out tomorrow if its not too nasty.

I recon the nepalis read Big Ts other post and came.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 07:16 PM   #3
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Fish haven't really spread out yet but once you find them they are there.
I might get out tomorrow if its not too nasty.
Yea I don't think there's been a release in quite a few days so they're podded up in bunches, hopefully whenever we get a release it spreads them out. Tomorrow may be a good day for browns for those willing to get out in it, those 10-20 mph winds is what may keep me off.
Old 12-22-17, 10:02 PM   #4
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Sounds like you're already in Summer mode judging by your fish catch rates haha, that man epitomizes almost everyone that Euro nymphs with you.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 07:36 AM   #5
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Winter is my favorite season to fish, you do have to tolerate cold, rain and blustery days, but it keeps the crowds down. I had some fun yesterday too, shopped at two malls and endured 3-4 hours of traffic, I think you had a better day Richard.

Woe is me.....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 12:25 PM   #6
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Sounds like you're already in Summer mode judging by your fish catch rates haha, that man epitomizes almost everyone that Euro nymphs with you.
Thanks for the kind words John, I'm just trying to get close to the level of the guys that I've learned from and I've got a ways to go!
Old 12-23-17, 12:36 PM   #7
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
Yea I don't think there's been a release in quite a few days so they're podded up in bunches, hopefully whenever we get a release it spreads them out. Tomorrow may be a good day for browns for those willing to get out in it, those 10-20 mph winds is what may keep me off.
Wish I had been up there with you looks like a good day. You were right the Browns ate pretty well this morning.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 12:37 PM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Winter is my favorite season to fish, you do have to tolerate cold, rain and blustery days, but it keeps the crowds down. I had some fun yesterday too, shopped at two malls and endured 3-4 hours of traffic, I think you had a better day Richard.

Woe is me.....
You are amost becoming such a sympathetic character that I feel bad harassing you. Almost.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 02:04 PM   #9
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Wish I had been up there with you looks like a good day. You were right the Browns ate pretty well this morning.
I saw your van in lot when I left yesterday so I knew you were around somewhere probably killing it. I wish I'd have gotten out for a few this morning, I knew the browns would be biting good!