NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-17, 08:48 PM   #1
Desil
Native

Default aquaponics system with trout

I am in the research phase before purchasing any equipment for an aquaponocs system. This is a system comprised of a minimum of two tanks - one holds fish, the other is a grow bed for veggies. A pump and siphon system cycles water through the tanks and the ammonia from the fish is broken down by bacteria in the soil and some science stuff happens and you get fish and vegitables to eat. Anyway wanted to know if anyone had a source for purchasing live baby trout locally. I could run to Hammonds and get some larger rainbows and this may be my best bet, but was looking for anyone that had raised trout locally and could tell me any other sources and what they do here for water temp. Iím in North GA and will be using a garage that would produce quite nice water temps in winter but Iím not sure about the summer. I know browns can handle a little warmer water but they seem to be harder to find and I would guess raise. Maybe a shot in the dark but if anyone has done this and could point me in the right direction Iíd appreciate it.
Desil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 09:19 PM   #2
troutbum69
Native

I'll take a pound of sticky icky brook trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 10:03 PM   #3
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

We had several aquaponics when I worked at UGA, even used trout once. I would not suggest it. You probably won't get a long enough stretch of moderate weather to grow trout and plants without a climate controlled green house. Trout need temps in the 60's...but the plants can't handle frost

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 10:23 PM   #4
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I read an article years ago about a farmer growing prawns and using the runoff and waste to grow orchids. He had converted an abandoned chicken house about 300ft long, dug a pond the length of the facility, and used wire fences to separate the different growth stages of the prawns. He pumped fresh water through the pond, excess water was recycled, and beside the pond was raised beds of orchids. It was quite an operation. Similar set ups have been used to grow tilapia and other seafoods.
If you can make this work, I would love to see it. Keeping a constant supply of cool water would be the major hurdle to overcome I would think.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 06:05 AM   #5
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...had a buddy...ER physician...had a prawn / veggie operation in back yard...the prawns were 8-9 " long...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 07:10 AM   #6
Philhutch80
Native

As mentioned above, trout are going to need cooler water in the summer. Depending on how large your set up is you would need to look at getting a commercial water chiller for the summer months. I know we do have a board member, @jakkbauer, who has a company that specializes outdoor fish and pond care which is similar. Perhaps he could offer some insight as well!
Have you done a search for local private trout hatcheries? I know there was a private Hatchery and pay to fish ponds up near the Sylvia, NC area but the gentleman was getting older and looking to sell to retire so Iím not sure what became of that. You certainly could successfully do it though! I can guarantee this board would pay attention as well given your chosen species!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 09:37 AM   #7
Desil
Native

Thanks for the replies - yeah I kind of expected a water cooling pump would need to be included in the operation. It would be cheaper to deal with tilapia or some other tough warm water fish - but Iíd really like to see if I could pull off trout. If itís successful Iíll post updates of the project.
Desil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 10:09 AM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Trout in the Classroom

Some of our Trout in the Classroom teachers are using aquaonics to remove nitrogen from the tanks and grow lettuce with the nitrogen. No soil involved, just the water and it's chemical contents. They have a floating platform with a medium to hold the lettuce seeds but that's it. Otherwise, as several mentioned the tricky, and costly, part is keeping water cold enough to be healthy for the trout.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 01:05 PM   #9
Jakkbauer
Native

As you have already stated tilapia is the cheaper and generally most common fish used in this process. You could use almost any fish if you are not concerned about eating them, since all you need is their waste. An example would be using koi to facilitate a garden.

You could avoid soil as stated above as well by using vertical hydroponics or whatever you choose but I think right now you are focusing on how to work trout into the equation as opposed to what kind of food you are producing. You will want to choose your crops carefully to get the best plants for your situation instead of catering to grow a specific type of plant.

Fisinbub is right, it will be a interesting mix managing temps for both trout and plants. The beauty of the tilapia is that they thrive under the same conditions as the plants. If you are able to create two separate environments for the pumps to push the water through you will have the best results with trout I would think. This won't be cheap but it is doable with the right amount of space and money!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 03:15 PM   #10
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Are tilapia legal in Georgia? In reality, they are 10,000x better for aquaponics than any other fish species. Hardy, grow fast, like warm temps, and produce a ton of nitrogen. Unfortunately, I believe you need a research permit to grow them in Georgia. I could be wrong though

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote