NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-17, 08:17 PM   #1
vancheesey
Native

Default Brevard, NC

Anyone have any suggestions for fishing spots in Brevard, NC?
Old 12-30-17, 10:04 PM   #2
smurfettejen
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancheesey View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for fishing spots in Brevard, NC?

The little river DH section was awesome last month when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smurfettejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 06:17 AM   #3
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

There are a couple of DH streams nearby, but the Davidson runs right through Brevard and is a great fishery....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 05:57 PM   #4
fishndoc
Native

Everyone should fish the Hatchery section of the Davidson at least once: walking to the edge of the bridge and looking down to see a pod of a dozen trout, none under 18Ē....
of course, there will be 3 or 4 fisherman on either side of the river, flogging the water all around those hawgs.

Drive out of Brevard towards Asheville, turn left beside the WalMart, go about 4 miles along the river and bear left on the side road.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 08:27 AM   #5
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

The Davidson hands down if you want a shot at bruiser. But its not an easy body of water. Think of it like fishing Dukes and you will do ok.
I seem to do a lot more stalking and looking, then figuring out how to get to the fish you see.
Old 01-01-18, 11:35 AM   #6
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndoc View Post
Everyone should fish the Hatchery section of the Davidson at least once: walking to the edge of the bridge and looking down to see a pod of a dozen trout, none under 18Ē....
of course, there will be 3 or 4 fisherman on either side of the river, flogging the water all around those hawgs.
Those days are long past. The big fish are still around, in smaller numbers, just not stacked up the way they were in the old days when they flushed pellets from the hatchery on a daily basis.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 08:26 PM   #7
TheBreeze
Formerly AWBivins

The Davidson is my "Dream Stream" but it can be extremely tough. If I catch one fish on the catch and release section I consider it a positive day. I consider it "hunting" more than "fishing."

That said, there are some great DH streams in the area. My personal favorite is the East Fork of the French Broad. I highly recommend it.

Also, stop by Davidson River Outfitters and chat with them.

°Viva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram
TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 06:08 PM   #8
Aardvark
Native

I can say that I have actually caught a trout from the hatchery section of the Davidson. It was about the size of my pinkie, but it still counts. I did much better downstream by the bridge to the campground, but you can use yellow Iowa flies down there.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 06:00 AM   #9
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
The Davidson is my "Dream Stream" but it can be extremely tough. If I catch one fish on the catch and release section I consider it a positive day. I consider it "hunting" more than "fishing."

That said, there are some great DH streams in the area. My personal favorite is the East Fork of the French Broad. I highly recommend it.

Also, stop by Davidson River Outfitters and chat with them.
I find it so interesting how we all seem to thrive and struggle on different rivers. I have problems with the Tallulah for instance for some reason. I catch fish but not like I should.

I have done well the few times I have fished the "D" and it has been low and clear in most instances.

Fishemon on the board splits time up there in Brevard you should reach out to him sometime he knows the D well.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 08:44 AM   #10
fishndoc
Native

Iíve been fishing the Davidson, usually the hatchery section, since the mid-90ís. Like all streams, the fishing cycles up and down, mainly related to water flows. Several years of drought and the stream is pitiful; a couple of years of hurricane rains and flooding, and suddenly it will come alive again.

Iím sure the pellets and worms flushed from the hatchery play a big part in the streams productivity, but even before the hatcherywas built, the Davidson was known for producing trophy trout.
The former owner of the fly shop there (Howell??) put out a book years ago with stories and pictures of true monster trout taken from the Davidson by his father and family as far back as the 30ís, If I recall correctly.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote