NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Patterns
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-17, 01:42 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default New Years Perdigón

Been watching these Lisping Spaniards tie these up...They look pretty cool and are fun. Does anyone know what/why the blackspot is supposed to be? I'm guessing its to fill in the slot?

Thread Black
Hook Big T 16 Jig Claw
Bead Rip Lips Copper Tung. 7/64
Tail CDL Black Speckled
Rib UV Pearl Krystal Flash
Collar Red Crystal Flash
Finish Fluorescing UV Clear Loon
Black Spot Broadway Nails High Shine nail polish in Black Out colour

After securing the red crystal flash, whip finish then wrap the collar up towards the bead and drop of superglue on the crystal flash and hold it down (preferable towards the bottom) for a few seconds 20-30. This way theres no thread showing. Apply finish then nail lacquer on the bead

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.

Last edited by GoutUnlimited; 01-06-18 at 12:44 PM.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 03:23 PM   #2
Stinkbait
Native

In theory the black spot/stripe represents a wing case. Here's a tutorial from Devin Olson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tuKpwbrX0

Here's his quilldigon tutorial. Same fly made out of stripped quill. http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blo...ying-tutorial/
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 12:21 PM   #3
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
In theory the black spot/stripe represents a wing case. Here's a tutorial from Devin Olson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tuKpwbrX0

Here's his quilldigon tutorial. Same fly made out of stripped quill. http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blo...ying-tutorial/
Thanks for sharing Stink. Really enjoyed those vids and wound up doing some of the Plivas. That was the first time I had three bobbins on a hook. Got some good tips out of this. The order of my applications was different and resulted in a some not so hot looking ones. That second coat of cement really helps it look more glossy. A few of mine where looking a little cloudy but not so much anymore. All my wing cases look different but I kinda like that.

Few things I learned:
1. work the UV finish around thoroughly

2. work the nail polish brush on the sides of the bottle so you don't get a huge glob. Let it settle into the slot, because you'll probably need a bit more (the one on the far right in the second pic)

3. Don't need a lot of cement...and use a brush instead of a bodkin because it will get stringy.

4. There is an efficient way to seat the bead. The slot is a little longer on one side than the other in relation to the borehole (this is pretty consistent with most beads I've found). So, you just twist it to find the proper position so it protrudes higher above the hook and rides better in water.

Thanks again stink!

Those inverting Tungsten Beads in the second video look insane!
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote