NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-18, 07:50 PM   #31
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
Ah yes, the locals lined up for the stocking truck are there for a form of recreation, I suppose. If I sound derogatory, it's because I don't respect it as sporting. It's a way to fill a cooler which, in its current form, amounts to a handout. What I would like to see is a program that improves the streams and dumping a bunch of stockers into a put and take hole does nothing to improve the stream. If our would trout populations are healthy, why dump stockers on top? Whether what I've suggested is better is debatable and there's certainly other ways, but our current system isn't geared or aimed towards doing it. Zebcos catch brim and bass just fine. Those grow to cooler size just fine without artificial stocking.
As I stated earlier, stream health isn't at all the reason trout ate stocked. When stocked in those marginal streams, and even healthy, thriving streams, they provide additional sporting opportunities to anglers, and serve as a buffer which keeps much pressure off smaller streams. I'd say it plays a valuable function in the grand scheme of things.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 11:13 PM   #32
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
As I stated earlier, stream health isn't at all the reason trout ate stocked. When stocked in those marginal streams, and even healthy, thriving streams, they provide additional sporting opportunities to anglers, and serve as a buffer which keeps much pressure off smaller streams. I'd say it plays a valuable function in the grand scheme of things.
Sporting, that's laughable. That the intent of our trout stocking program isn't to improve the streams is exactly what I would prefer to change. Rather than the vast majority of stocking be put and take, having the stockings focus on supplementing and reinforcing healthy wild populations letting nature carry the burden of the work with more C&R friendly regulations (think dh rules applied statewide). Seems that trout is the only species Georgia treats this way and other states have had success going to the model I'm proposing. Regardless, you see it as a positive thing while I see it as throwing money into a hole in the water. It is undeniably the status quo, though, and I should know better than to advocate ending a government entitlement program.
Old 01-27-18, 10:49 AM   #33
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
The locals sit in their trucks and wait on the stocking truck to come by, hop out, catch a limit, and leave.

Most do, some put a limit in the truck, wait a little, go catch another limit. I used to get my boxers in a bunch by this, but I soon realized that it's gonna happen. I would rather keep the few wild streams that I have fished off the grid as much as possible. There have been a few mentioned on here lately that I would rather not see openly listed, but they are in Jacob's books, so its not like they are top secret.
Wildcat is a grocery store fish market.....
Disagree with ya, Preacher.

When stocking season starts, you should ride through any of the highly stocked, highly fished streams such as Dicks, Rock, Soque, Upper Hooch, Cooper, Wildcat, Tallulah, or Chattooga, and tally the non local tags vs the local tags. It'll end up being 80-20 or even 90-10. And 75% of those are from Metro Granolaville somewhere.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 11:13 AM   #34
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
Ah yes, the locals lined up for the stocking truck are there for a form of recreation, I suppose. If I sound derogatory, it's because I don't respect it as sporting. It's a way to fill a cooler which, in its current form, amounts to a handout. What I would like to see is a program that improves the streams and dumping a bunch of stockers into a put and take hole does nothing to improve the stream. If our would trout populations are healthy, why dump stockers on top? Whether what I've suggested is better is debatable and there's certainly other ways, but our current system isn't geared or aimed towards doing it. Zebcos catch brim and bass just fine. Those grow to cooler size just fine without artificial stocking.
You don't sound derogatory to me, but you do sound ignorant. Trout fishing in our State is viable only because there is a constituency that is large enough to protect it. The overwhelming majority of our constituency fishes in a way in which they enjoy, and that involves easy access. Our streams, on their own, are not productive enough or plentiful enough to provide a quality experience to over 100,000 trout anglers every year. That's where the stocking program comes in. Spreads folks out, maintains and grows the constituency, and is the part of the equation that makes our trout program very popular. And, locals, like me, don't get our kicks and giggles from stocked fish. Maybe on an evening after work when there's time enough only for a few casts, but certainly not on a destination Saturday in May... There's more car tags from your county than mine on stocker streams on a given Saturday. If you truly want to do the resource a favor, encourage your peers to pick up their granola bar wrappers when they visit.
Old 01-27-18, 11:26 AM   #35
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Its been several years since I frequented some of the smaller stocked streams, but when I did I saw plenty of folks catch a limit, go to the truck for a little while, and come back with an empty stringer. I've heard them laugh about "chasin the truck" from creek to creek, getting several limits in one day.
I was verbally abused by a couple of good ol' boys for fishin their hole, catchin their fish. They were fishing bait. I caught a limit on a pheasant tail and left.
As for the tags, I didn't pay much attention to that. I just know that many of the bridge holes and creek crossings were cleaned out before word about stocking could get to Granolaville.
Things may have changed, but I think some of this still continues. We may be thinking about differing streams and stocking patterns. The ones I saw were on streams that were stocked once a week or so, and only stocked at one or two places. After a couple of days, the creek was cleaned out.
Here's hoping things have changed

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 11:42 AM   #36
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
You don't sound derogatory to me, but you do sound ignorant. Trout fishing in our State is viable only because there is a constituency that is large enough to protect it. The overwhelming majority of our constituency fishes in a way in which they enjoy, and that involves easy access. Our streams, on their own, are not productive enough or plentiful enough to provide a quality experience to over 100,000 trout anglers every year. That's where the stocking program comes in. Spreads folks out, maintains and grows the constituency, and is the part of the equation that makes our trout program very popular. And, locals, like me, don't get our kicks and giggles from stocked fish. Maybe on an evening after work when there's time enough only for a few casts, but certainly not on a destination Saturday in May... There's more car tags from your county than mine on stocker streams on a given Saturday. If you truly want to do the resource a favor, encourage your peers to pick up their granola bar wrappers when they visit.
Right after you pick up your deer **** beer cans, convenience store worm cups, and dip tins. Seems like a bit of a chicken and egg argument to say that our streams are too unproductive to support our fishing constituency's habits when those habits are born of unsustainable management practices. Glad to know that we can't have nice things because trout fisherman in Georgia are bigger rednecks than other states. God forbid we be subject to the boogeyman of change.
Old 01-27-18, 11:54 AM   #37
Sighter
Native (Formerly known as DoubleRainbow)

Winter's been rough on this board... Wet a line. I recommend Smiths Creek, it's been on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 12:04 PM   #38
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Winter's been rough on this board... Wet a line. I recommend Smiths Creek, it's been on fire.

I'll see ya there! Skunked may show up if we don't tell him it's a stocked stream.
Old 01-27-18, 12:06 PM   #39
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
I'll see ya there! Skunked may show up if we don't tell him it's a stocked stream.
If you had any reading comprehension, you would know I want more special regulation streams such as delayed harvest, but mostly the non stocked sr streams.
Old 01-27-18, 12:18 PM   #40
Sighter
Native (Formerly known as DoubleRainbow)

Default Nice brown on Wildcat today

Looking forward to it buck! And I'm sure that was a lighthearted joke skunked, no need to take it personally. Join us on the stream sometime and we can count the number of dip cans vs granola wrappers there to settle this haha

Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote