NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-18, 10:17 PM   #11
I_got_skunked
Native

I'd imagine June will be a lot of snow and ice (glaciers) on some good trails and gtts road might be closed.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 04:01 PM   #12
cjones
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstream View Post
Hmm. Your first post said you were planning to go the end of summer just before school starts. If you'd mentioned June, I suspect you'd have gotten a pretty standard warning about runoff clogging the streams, and the strong possibility of snow messing with your trip, even if you're not fishing. A quick google produced this link, showing the Going to the Sun Road (yes, an awesome ride) opened fully on June 28 last year.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/media17-29.htm

I've only been in that area in August, but in general, in the northern Rockies, if fishing, I'd plan a trip in June only if that was the only time I could go, and I'd expect to be flexible in terms of any and all planned activities. Sounds like fishing isn't on the agenda (and Glacier's not usually a prime destination for that), and you should be able to do some hiking somewhere (maybe just lower elevations, weather depending) but be cautious of using others' experience that's based later in the summer; for instance, bears will be in different places, seeking different food in June vs. August.

Are you doing the train? That'd be interesting, I bet. Have fun. Beautiful place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I'd imagine June will be a lot of snow and ice (glaciers) on some good trails and gtts road might be closed.

Unfortunately, we are constrained by the schedule of the other travelers on this trip. Our original plan was last week of July but that got changed due my bil's work schedule. We're Delta'ing up to Minneapolis where we'll meet up with the rest of the group and take Amtrak out to Whitefish. It's also much shorter amount of time on-site than I had hoped, but at this point I'm just happy that we're getting to go at all.

Sorry to hear that fishing will be severely sub-par that time of the year, but it should still be a memorable trip and give us intel for WHEN we go back on our own in the future.
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 04:48 PM   #13
narcodog
Native

You will love the trip along the "High Line".
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 02:59 PM   #14
bamapatriot
Native

Two Medicine on the eastern side of the park is beautiful, and usually not as crowded. Good/great fishing from shore in Two Medicine Lake. Canoe rentals are available. If you're flyfishing from shore, a sinking line or at least a sink-tip is recommended
bamapatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 04:56 PM   #15
Stinkbait
Native

Tell your brother in law to get a new job. I haven't been there in years (decades actually) but you won't be able to drive more than a few miles of "Going to the Sun" or access the high country. https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The Rockies generally are experiencing a scary low snow pack this winter, but not Montana. The Glacier area currently appears to be about 120% of normal. http://mtpr.org/post/montana-snowpac...y-across-state
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 01:28 PM   #16
cjones
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
Tell your brother in law to get a new job. I haven't been there in years (decades actually) but you won't be able to drive more than a few miles of "Going to the Sun" or access the high country. https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The Rockies generally are experiencing a scary low snow pack this winter, but not Montana. The Glacier area currently appears to be about 120% of normal. http://mtpr.org/post/montana-snowpac...y-across-state
He's a LEO and apparently they only schedule shifts a few months out. Go figure.

My ears have been perking up when I hear mention of MT area on weather reports, and it seems like they've been getting hammered every week up there. At this point, I may just leave the fishing gear at home and use the space for better camera gear.
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 04:58 PM   #17
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
He's a LEO and apparently they only schedule shifts a few months out. Go figure.

My ears have been perking up when I hear mention of MT area on weather reports, and it seems like they've been getting hammered every week up there. At this point, I may just leave the fishing gear at home and use the space for better camera gear.
Alpine lakes will be your best bet. It's an amazingly addicting way to fish.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 10:16 PM   #18
raptor
Native

Quote:

At this point, you can not control the weather or the schedules of other family members. You will be there with less crowds and beautiful scenery to enjoy. Glacier is a special place and the Amtrak train experience will be something that your family will always remember. You all will have a wonderful time and I look forward to reading about your adventure.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 11:48 AM   #19
KnotSlippin'
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Yes, we've been getting hammered this year. Great for skiing! Great for the snow pack! Great for ag producers who pull water out of streams and rivers! Great for fishes! This is the time of year, however, that nearly everyone in Montana is looking forward to longer days and more sunshine.

Like others have said, the weather during an early June trip to Glacier might prevent you from doing much fishing. That said, if the weather stays cool for the few days before your trip, that may keep the snow up in the mountains rather than melting and moving downstream. If that's the case, you'd be golden for some quiet time in the water.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!