NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-18, 07:01 AM   #11
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
I tend to avoid going fishing if water is released that morning. I can't stand fishing cloudy water. Don't really seem to catch much. Though I guess it depends on how much is released.

I fished the hooch 2-3 times a week (college student) last spring/summer, and even then, it's either I catch nothing or everything. I went some mornings and couldn't get a single bite while other days would have them biting till noon.

So I guess that's a mystery I may never solve.
IMHO, off color water is the best time to fish. You just have to learn where the fish are. Give it time.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 08:27 AM   #12
gau16
Native

Agreed.

In contrast to your post, I don't like fishing clear water very much.

Big fish don't like clear water, especially with the combo of high sun.

It's all a learning experience.

If we're being literal here, obviously check release times and know when to get out if you do go during one.
Old 01-17-18, 02:40 PM   #13
Lumis
Native

How much of a difference does water release make? I know I've seen a few of you say you'll fish after a release. Does that depend solely on the location?
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:16 PM   #14
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Lightning, thunderstorms, blizzards, hurricanes and anytime the windchill is below 20 F. All seriousness, you are the only person that can decide if it is safe - or worth it. Lightning makes me scream like a little girl and hide under trees

RScott cameod in the movie 'The Great Outdoors' if you guys have never seen it before!!! The arrow points to him.
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 04:24 PM   #15
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
How much of a difference does water release make? I know I've seen a few of you say you'll fish after a release. Does that depend solely on the location?
Getting caught in the middle of a full release can, bluntly, kill you.

Fishing after a release can mean 2 things I suppose. Yes, it depends on location.

You can fish "above" the release, meaning going behind the flow. Say if a release was at 7am, I might head up to the Dam or Settles because water will recede or be receding by the time I hit the water.

You can fish during a release by knowing your crest height timing. If a release is at 7am I know in certain places what time I need to start to head out or really be aware of my surroundings.

See this link here for recede and crest timing.

I have, and others might say so too, had some nice fish come during rising water from a release.
Old 01-17-18, 05:33 PM   #16
splatek16

The only two pieces of data I agree with here:

1) just go
2) don't get washed away

That hooch is a water maiden that has a mind of her own, being tamed only by the likes of big t and browniez and a few other radical anglers.

My first few months fly fishing I was in search of the perfect conditions, there aren't any. They're fish. They're opportunistic feeding piscivores. I honestly believe that I get better (read as luckier) the more I fish.

Second, I've been washed, nearly to my death. Broken bone, freezing, scared to death. Don't do that, no badge in honor dying while fishing.

Footnote: graphite is a pretty good electrical conductor, so if holding a ten foot graphite electrical conductor toward the heavens during a lightning storm good luck with that Ben Franklin.

Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 05:50 PM   #17
Aardvark
Native

As long as God is not putting on a light show, you are good to go.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 06:42 PM   #18
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
Getting caught in the middle of a full release can, bluntly, kill you.

Fishing after a release can mean 2 things I suppose. Yes, it depends on location.

You can fish "above" the release, meaning going behind the flow. Say if a release was at 7am, I might head up to the Dam or Settles because water will recede or be receding by the time I hit the water.

You can fish during a release by knowing your crest height timing. If a release is at 7am I know in certain places what time I need to start to head out or really be aware of my surroundings.

See this link here for recede and crest timing.

I have, and others might say so too, had some nice fish come during rising water from a release.
^^^^This

Location is the big determining factor if fishing the hooch once water has been released. Know where your at and how long it takes the water to get there is very important.
WPrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 07:53 PM   #19
JerryG
Native

I've yet to catch a good one with my sunglasses on.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 09:06 PM   #20
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
I've yet to catch a good one with my sunglasses on.
St. Patrick’s day brown with Alex was bright and sunny and the same with the big girl I caught up towards the dam. There was another factor in common for both but rest assured the sun glasses were on.
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote