NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-18, 08:49 PM   #1
dink
Hall of Fame

Default Tippet

Thought this was worth sharing....

https://bigyflyco.blogspot.com/2017/...on-tippet.html
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:18 PM   #2
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Really interesting for me, 4x mono is as big as I have gone for trout, usually on big bushy dries for dry dropper. For everyday nymphing I use 5.5, 6 and 6.5 Trouthunter flouro, it is expensive but tough. Flouro also sinks better. Most importantly I have confidence in this brand and sizes. But I have caught a bunch of trout on 5x mono too.

Whatever you use, make sure you tied a good knot or it won't matter.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 12:26 AM   #3
Trouter23
Native

Well written. Thanks Dink!

Timely trouting info - Rabun TU February 2018 newsletter

I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
-Lefty Kreh
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 09:15 AM   #4
flyfisher062305
Native

Good stuff! I believe the best piece of advice in this entire article is:

"I believe that they are confident in their self-assessment, and that confidence is more important than anything else."

Mark
flyfisher062305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 01:53 PM   #5
Dylar
Native

To be completely honest, I think tippets lighter than a hard nylon formulation 5X (ie PowerflexPlus or comparable high-strength-to-diameter hard mono tippets) are borderline unethical in many situations If you expect to encounter trout of any size—especially in the South where heat stress is already a huge problem—I think that, at the very least, using 6 or 7X between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day is highly questionable, presuming you you intend to release fish. I am aware that with sufficient skill and the right gear, large trout can be quickly landed on very light tippet, but the reality is most trout anglers don't actually possess the fish fighting skills to land a good sized trout on light tippet quickly enough not to risk stressing the fish. Most trout fisherman don't even know where to hold the rod when fighting a large fish. Ethically fighting large fish on very small flies and very light tippet is a high art, but the average trout fisherman is more kid-eating-crayons than Rembrandt.

I know that some feel that the only feasible way to catch the trout they're targeting is with very small flies (and consequently very light tippet), but I think a lot of those folks would be surprised at what can be accomplished with stealth, observation, planning, casting accuracy and line management. One of the natural instincts of the human ego is to default to the premise that failure has an external rather than internal cause. In fly fishing, this normal human instinct pops up in excessive emphasis on terminal tackle (fly choice and tippet) as the source of failure, and not nearly enough on operator error (bad casting, poor line management, wandering attention, lack of stealth in approach etc). The tendency is to grope for magic bullets, something we can tie on the end of our leader that will let us wiggle around getting better at the basic mechanics of fly fishing. But a clean drift with 4X will beat a crap drift on 7X and the 'hot fly' every time.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the skill and setup to land the fish you're targeting quickly on light tippet and/or you only fish light tippet seasonally for the winter midge/tiny black stone bite (or the year round equivalent in colder tailwater stretches), when the risk of catch mortality is limited, it's one more tool in the bag.

Last edited by Dylar; 01-17-18 at 09:35 PM.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:00 PM   #6
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I think lots of folks think light tippet is better because it is less visible. That accounts for only part of the benefit it provides. You would be amazed at how much faster a fly sinks on 7x versus 5x. It also allows the flies to move more naturally in the micro currents. Flouro is more abrasion resistant than mono as well as the fact it sinks faster. However, I am not sure I have ever had flouro sink a dry fly as long as I greased my leader a few feet up to make sure my leader was riding high. I like my tippet connected to my dry to be under water actually as it casts less of a shadow.

While I am a fan of flouro, mono has been used forever and folks catch a ton of trout on it so if it works for you and ain't broke, don't fix it. Some guys solution to sink rate is another split shot and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There is a saying that the difference between a good trout angler and a great trout angler is one more split shot.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 03:26 PM   #7
Dylar
Native

Yeah, I don't think trout tippet, even fluorocarbon, has enough mass in and of itself to penetrate the surface film, so it doesn't sink dries.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 06:35 PM   #8
splatek16

Big T told me that "the only way I'll catch the trouts" is by using 10x tippet and size 36 or smaller flies...
You calling him a liar?
Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 08:17 PM   #9
dink
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
To be completely honest, I think tippets lighter than a hard nylon formulation 5X (ie PowerflexPlus or comparable high-strength-to-diameter hard mono tippets) are borderline unethical in many situations If you expect to encounter trout of any size, especially in the South where heat stress is already a huge problem, I think at the very least that using 6 or 7X between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day is highly questionable, if you intend to release fish. I am aware that with sufficient skill and the right gear, large trout can be quickly landed on very light tippet, but the reality is most trout anglers don't actually possess the fish fighting skills to land a good sized trout on light tippet quickly enough not to risk stressing the fish. Most trout fisherman don't even know where to hold the rod when fighting a large fish. Ethically fighting large fish on very small flies and very light tippet is a high art, but the average trout fisherman is more kid-eating-crayons than Rembrandt.

I know that some feel that the only feasible way to catch the trout they're targeting is with very small flies (and consequently very light tippet), but I think a lot of those folks would be surprised at what can be accomplished with stealth, observation, planning, casting accuracy and line management. One of the natural instincts of the human ego is to default to the premise failure has an external rather than internal cause. In fly fishing, this normal human instinct pops excessive emphasis on terminal tackle (fly choice and tippet) as the source of failure, and not nearly enough on operator error (bad casting, poor line management, wandering attention, lack of stealth in approach etc). The tendency is to grope for magic bullets, something we can tie on the end of our leader that will let us wiggle around getting better at the basic mechanics of fly fishing. But a clean drift with 4X will beat a crap drift on 7X and the 'hot fly' every time.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the skill and setup to land the fish you're targeting quickly on light tippet and/or you only fish light tippet seasonally for the winter midge/tiny black stone bite (or the year round equivalent in colder tailwater stretches), when the risk of catch mortality is limited, it's one more tool in the bag.
Very well said!!! My thoughts as well..
dink
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:35 PM   #10
NetBoy
Native

All last year I used Berkeley Vanish. 110yd spool for $5 at walmart.com

But I recently bought some orvis mirage because it has the line cutter built in
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote