NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-18, 07:12 PM   #11
retiredmp
BOD Member, Hall of Fame Member

My confidence tippet is Trout Hunter - no doubts about it. Michael Bradley had me tossing 7x on a 2wt Syndicate rod. I caught a magnificent brown (23") and it was in the net in under two minutes. He coached me with some new awesome tips on fighting the big fish in.

I got tired of my Rio Powerflex breaking me off on fish - no pig tails from failed knots. I know when I'm fishing trophy trout waters I want all of my equipment to be as strong and durable as it can be. I do believe that my Syndicate rod is a big part of the equation in landing bigger fish as the rod tip protects my Trout Hunter tippet.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 07:51 PM   #12
david
Stocker

The latest and greatest is Cortland Top Secret, but for what it costs, it should be.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 11:17 PM   #13
ferrulewax
Native

Yeah, the Cortland is kinda scary strong. I've fished plenty of trout hunter, and still fish it, but the cortland may be slowly edging it out in the arsenal, particularly in the small sizes where the strength really counts. I'm impressed so far, but time will tell.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 12:52 AM   #14
JoshKimchi
Native

Fluoro definitely sinks when throwing dries, doesn’t matter what size ur throwing. Especially on long casts where you go across runs and cross even tiny micro currents, it sinks. The best dry fly fisherman and even dry/drop anglers will use mono for this reason. However, on very technical, long stretches of flat water, lots of comp guys will throw 6-7x Fluoro so the fish “don’t see it”. Whether or not this is just a confidence booster, or the fish really don’t see the line, these are the guys that will win comps day in and day out.

Edit: As for the top secret, it’s a great Fluoro and MAY be a bit stronger than the trouthunter, but it’s definitely stiffer.
JoshKimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-18, 06:40 AM   #15
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKimchi View Post
Fluoro definitely sinks when throwing dries, doesn’t matter what size ur throwing. Especially on long casts where you go across runs and cross even tiny micro currents, it sinks. The best dry fly fisherman and even dry/drop anglers will use mono for this reason. However, on very technical, long stretches of flat water, lots of comp guys will throw 6-7x Fluoro so the fish “don’t see it”. Whether or not this is just a confidence booster, or the fish really don’t see the line, these are the guys that will win comps day in and day out.

Edit: As for the top secret, it’s a great Fluoro and MAY be a bit stronger than the trouthunter, but it’s definitely stiffer.
I have never felt like my fluoro sinks my dry flies and I dry drop as much as anyone. I was throwing a size 26 parachute adams the other day with fluoro tippet from my indicator line in my leader to the dry and had no problems.

Perhaps if you are fishing 50 feet away but I try not to do that. I do apply flotant to my leader a couple of feet above the dry to make sure it sits high though.

Also, Monofilament fishing lines absorb water, which means they behave differently beneath the surface than when you're testing them in the tackle shop. The degree varies. Some are sponges, sopping up 8 percent or more of their weight in water. Premium blends absorb less, but still soak up some. So over time they will sink as well.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote