NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-18, 11:18 AM   #1
GARDENHACKEL
Native

Default Fly Line Recommendation

I want to purchase a fly line that is suited to throwing heavy streamers on an 8wt rod. Iím thinking intermediate sink tip. Iíve looked at the Rio Streamer Tip with a 10ft clear sink tip, the Wulff Ambush, the SA Streamer Express, and of course Airflow, Orvis and all the rest make such lines, and theyíre all about the same price. With so many choices, what to do?
GARDENHACKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 01:57 PM   #2
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARDENHACKEL View Post
I want to purchase a fly line that is suited to throwing heavy streamers on an 8wt rod. Iím thinking intermediate sink tip. Iíve looked at the Rio Streamer Tip with a 10ft clear sink tip, the Wulff Ambush, the SA Streamer Express, and of course Airflow, Orvis and all the rest make such lines, and theyíre all about the same price. With so many choices, what to do?
Honestly, if you're looking for a line to throw 8wt sized streamers at trout, I would, if I were you, strongly consider a full sinking (not a sinking head) line. Most of the big articulated patterns are really designed to be fished on these types of lines, and in the high water conditions that favor this kind of fishing, a full sinking line is often required to drive your flies down where you want them.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 02:26 PM   #3
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARDENHACKEL View Post
I want to purchase a fly line that is suited to throwing heavy streamers on an 8wt rod. I’m thinking intermediate sink tip. I’ve looked at the Rio Streamer Tip with a 10ft clear sink tip, the Wulff Ambush, the SA Streamer Express, and of course Airflow, Orvis and all the rest make such lines, and they’re all about the same price. With so many choices, what to do?
You'll Find that most of the big line manufacturers make a great line, and it is just personal preference past that. I am partial to an SA sink 25 (or 30) cold, or a Titan triple density. Orvis depth charge is another good sinking line. A longer sink tip, although not as easy to fish, will keep your fly in the same part of the water column, which is much more realistic, and important for targeting large, lazy fish. Cortland also makes some sinking lines in the 444 lineup that are nice as well, for a bit cheaper.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote