NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-18, 10:17 AM   #1
natureman
Native

Default Government Shutdown - Impacts on Chattahoochee

Not much specific information out there yet. The Park Service has a generic plan you can read at:

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/doc...ncy-plan/2714/

I contacted the COE and they may close areas on Monday which could impact access to the Lower Pool.

Hopefully they will post something on their facebook pages.
https://www.facebook.com/CRNRA/
https://www.facebook.com/LakeSidneyLanierUSACE/
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 10:39 AM   #2
Philhutch80
Native

Thanks for posting natureman! Was wondering how this would impact our local areas. Guess we should stay tuned to this thread for future changes!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 11:49 AM   #3
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

I'm hopeful it won't have much impact, that public land will remain open even though they send non-essential personnel home.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 02:06 PM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I hate that the crew that keeps the Paces Mill parking lot looking so wonderful will not be able to do their thing.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 02:55 PM   #5
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Remembering back to the shut down several years ago and all of the parks being shut down along the Chattahoochee.Then I thought... I’ll just go to Settles, there isn’t a gate there. And when I arrived with my kayak I found that they had bulldozed a couple of big boulders across the road to keep people out. All the trouble they went to to make a show of the government shut down and to just **** people off to make their point.

This has me thinking out loud with this current proposed shut down. If we have paid for a years pass to enter a park and now they are limiting what we have already paid, should we be due a refund on our advanced payment of parks use? I know this is splitting hairs in the big scheme of things but something to vent about. And after all, the people’s tax dollars pay for the parks to begin with.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 03:21 PM   #6
vancheesey
Native

JB has been closed and is not accessible
Old 01-20-18, 03:38 PM   #7
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancheesey View Post
JB has been closed and is not accessible
Is Gwinnette side accessible? Not a National Park.
Old 01-20-18, 03:42 PM   #8
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
Remembering back to the shut down several years ago and all of the parks being shut down along the Chattahoochee.Then I thought... Iíll just go to Settles, there isnít a gate there. And when I arrived with my kayak I found that they had bulldozed a couple of big boulders across the road to keep people out. All the trouble they went to to make a show of the government shut down and to just **** people off to make their point.

This has me thinking out loud with this current proposed shut down. If we have paid for a years pass to enter a park and now they are limiting what we have already paid, should we be due a refund on our advanced payment of parks use? I know this is splitting hairs in the big scheme of things but something to vent about. And after all, the peopleís tax dollars pay for the parks to begin with.
Wouldn't that be like asking for a refund due to a "rain or shine" type of payment?

Or like when Lower Pool Park is closed for hunting?

I guess what I am trying to say is you're paying a flat fee for unlimited daily access. How would a refund calculation be made?

Not trying to defend the Gov't in this situation but just thinking out loud, too.
Old 01-20-18, 03:43 PM   #9
gau16
Native

I personally don't actually know if LPP is a NP, so I could be wrong on that.

Just spitballin' here.
Old 01-20-18, 04:13 PM   #10
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
I personally don't actually know if LPP is a NP, so I could be wrong on that.

Just spitballin' here.
The Lower Pool Park and access road is operated by the Corps of Engineers. There is a common boundary that the COE shares with NPS at Haw Creek and extending across the river to the Gwinnett side. The small parking lot next to the Haw Creek foot bridge is NPS and the COE maintains it.

Since we are speculating I will put in my 2 cents since I worked there for 30 years (now retired) and went thru several federal shut-downs. In the past the COE scales back its operation to a bare minimum. Reduced staffing resulted in the parks adjacent to the Buford Powerhouse and Dam being closed due to security concerns and a reduction in emergency response capability to river incidents. Select staff would remain on duty to carry out critical mission essential duties.

Screenshot-2018-1-21 Data gov by Natureman29, on Flickr

Last edited by natureman; 01-22-18 at 09:40 AM.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote