NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-18, 08:47 AM   #1
splatek16

Default Iceland

Buying materialistic Christmas gifts has always bothered me, so last year I decided I would start gifting "experiences" in the form of travel. Last year I took my GF (the crazy woman that got me started in fly/trout fishing) to the Pacific Northwest. We road tripped from Seattle to Portland, seeing among other things: mount ranier, Mount st Helens, and "The Goonies" house. Last year I took Spencer, my main fishing buddy, on his/our first father son camping trip to North Georgia. We fished, caught trouts, caught salamanders, caught craw fish, splashed in a cool creek and had so much fun I literally had to drag him away. The year before last we got an air b and b at st Simons and fished for sharks off the coast in a boat (he got to drive the boat!)

This year, my girl had been talking about Iceland pretty much non stop. I had no interest in going to this place, until I did a little research. The northern lights! The Arctic circle. Huge trouts. Ok... Turns out the best time to see the northern lights is orthogonal to the trout season and since it was her gift.... I didn't see any trouts. ☹️

We did see the northern lights, three times. I have to admit, I didn't think I'd be so awe struck by some lights in the sky, but to say it was cool, amazing... Understatement. The pictures don't do it justice, because all we had were our phones and moving light at night using long exposure... You get the idea.

If you ever think about visiting Iceland: camp it. We rented a camper van and road tripped the coast. We were able to see what we wanted, on our schedule, which included a night sky of no less than a million stars, three shooting stars, the lights, several gigantic waterfalls, the original geyser, ruins, black sand beaches, volcanic rock, lava, hot spring rivers, and glaciers and icebergs.

Next up, the boys' annual camping trip. We are still deciding between the smokies, Virginia area, Montana, or _____ taking suggestions. I'm trying to start an annual father son camping trip in hopes that when he's in college, older, he'll still want to come back and camp with his old man. And fish, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 09:43 AM   #2
Dave375
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Buying materialistic Christmas gifts has always bothered me, so last year I decided I would start gifting "experiences" in the form of travel.

since it was her gift.... I didn't see any trouts.

I'm trying to start an annual father son camping trip in hopes that when he's in college, older, he'll still want to come back and camp with his old man. And fish, of course.
Great stuff!! and really glad you enjoyed the trip, it sounds like a good one.
We started something similar around our house a few years ago and have so far been to Big Sur, Monterrey, SF, on one trip, and last year was NYC for the girls to see a Broadway show. Headed out with my oldest daughter as soon as the bell rings for spring break at Georgia Tech. She wants to spend a few days in GSMNP and surrounding area and catch a few NC DH fish.

As for suggestions for Spencer, I first saw the Rockies when I was 8 and that trip is my all time favorite childhood memory.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 11:15 AM   #3
splatek16

Dave, ideas for where in the Rockies?

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 01:12 PM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Go to Montana. EVERYTHING will blow your mind and Spencer's mind as well! Bozeman is a good launching pad for fishing and going to Yellowstone which is a must do when you have limited time. There is simply soooo much amazing stuff! Driving through Virginia City and Nevada City where gold was dredged and the towns are literally 150+yrs old is amazing. I could go on and on. But I will just opt to show you pictures instead!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 04:33 PM   #5
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Cool picture.I saw them lights once at cosmic bowling. Threw my game off some, had to settle for a 200.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 05:37 PM   #6
Dave375
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Dave, ideas for where in the Rockies?

I’m going to defer to Phil and others more familiar with the area for recommendations. The trip we took was 45 years ago when I was about Spencer’s age and there was a lot less traffic. We camped at the Tetons, did Yellowstone, etc. Kudos to you for doing stuff like this with him. He will remember it forever.

Last edited by Dave375; 04-03-18 at 08:37 AM.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 06:40 PM   #7
Upstream
Native

Thanks for sharing. Iceland may be on the list soon.

And I was 9 when a summer long trailer trip included Yellowstone and the Tetons. A few trips to MT, etc., in recent years, and I still say that YNP and area is the best first western trip for a fly fisherman, esp. when other maybe less enthusiastic fishermen are in tow. Lots of trout water, lots of incredible sights, and yes, as Dave375 suggests, lots of people, but only a small percentage of them hit the streams, and whatever sights are desired can be worked in.

(One reason to go there for fishing is that so many others have, so there will be future conversations like "oh, if you liked fishing XX, next time out west try to visit YY.")
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 08:27 AM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to hear more about it. Doubt I will ever make it there since Big T and flying long distances are orthogonal unless there is enough aquatic biomass.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 11:30 AM   #9
Stinkbait
Native

There's a "cool" video about winter surfing in Iceland under the northern lights. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5dhr8RzBQI

The Ask About Fly Fishing internet radio show last week was about fly fishing in Iceland (browns, artic char and atlantic salmon). It's all private water. You can listen to the show in the Ask About Fly Fishing archives. http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/archive.cfm

That's all I got.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 07:14 PM   #10
stodgeball
Native

My wife and I were lucky enough to get to Iceland late last year and can attest to its otherworldly beauty. Unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to see the Northern lights but that (and the fishing) should be more than enough reason to go back someday.

My most memorable trip growing up was a family road trip around South Dakota. Probably isn't top of mind in terms of scenery but The Black Hills NP, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, and Custer SP (I remember lots of buffalo) have always stuck with me.
stodgeball is offline   Reply With Quote