NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-18, 10:53 AM   #1
pllwft
Stocker

Default Dukes Saturday 20Jan - Rapala with barbed trebles!

I won't go into much detail about the ROUGH outing on Saturday, after convincing my mom to fly down from Minnesota and take a stab at Dukes creek with me. Other than 2 rainbows that spit the fly shortly into the fight, we were skunked. A far cry from my typical success at Dukes Creek...

Anyway, about halfway through the day we ran into another angler who was using a spinning rod and had a Rapala hanging at the end of his line as he ascended the hillside up from the creek. I had to get a triple-take because I just didn't believe it. However, he most certainly had a small Rapala floating crankbait equipped with two treble hooks. I mentioned something to him as we exchanged "any luck" greetings, and he just ignored us. We saw him again later and he ignored my strong suggestion that he was fishing illegally. When we got back to the park office, we mentioned something to the employees and they insisted that they would call a ranger to investigate.

I carry a spin and fly rod with me while fishing Dukes, and have a tackle box of barbless flies and single-hook barbless spinners that remains separated from the mess of all my other tackle at home. I follow the strict regulations religiously and it appears that most others do as well. I was shocked to find that the park employees had no authority to enforce the regulations, they just ensure you sign the paperwork and will threaten to call the authorities if need be. I'm hoping this gentleman was dealt with properly, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered a similar situation? Have you witnessed or been on the receiving end of regulation enforcement at Duke's Creek? I hate to open Pandora's Box or reveal a opening for those that aren't law abiding, but I'm hoping this was a exception and not the norm.

Last edited by pllwft; 01-22-18 at 12:05 PM.
pllwft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 11:27 AM   #2
jfgros01
Native

I fished Saturday and ran into the same man. I didnít notice his lure. I believe the office attendants where new on that day... maybe they didnít know how to handle that particular situation? I wasnít given a wristband like in previous outings there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 11:58 AM   #3
NetBoy
Native

The office employees should call the local law enforcement.

I've been checked there many times. Last year by a park ranger who was armed ( and quite attractive). She checked my fly boxes and my sign in paper.

I'v heard stories of people poaching using casting nets at night.
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 12:35 PM   #4
gau16
Native

Oh good question from your post.

Does that mean one cannot even possess flies with barbed hooks when fishing?

Obviously fish with barbless but might have others that are barbed in your box.
Old 01-22-18, 12:50 PM   #5
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
Oh good question from your post.

Does that mean one cannot even possess flies with barbed hooks when fishing?

Obviously fish with barbless but might have others that are barbed in your box.
No barbed hooks on your person while fishing.
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 12:52 PM   #6
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
No barbed hooks on your person while fishing.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-18, 01:56 PM   #7
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

That has been an absolute no-no for years and the angler you saw knows this, probably why he wasn't too talkative.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 04:04 PM   #8
andymoore
Native

Two treble hooks are ok. Barbs are not.
andymoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 04:04 PM   #9
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllwft View Post
I won't go into much detail about the ROUGH outing on Saturday, after convincing my mom to fly down from Minnesota and take a stab at Dukes creek with me. Other than 2 rainbows that spit the fly shortly into the fight, we were skunked. A far cry from my typical success at Dukes Creek...

Anyway, about halfway through the day we ran into another angler who was using a spinning rod and had a Rapala hanging at the end of his line as he ascended the hillside up from the creek. I had to get a triple-take because I just didn't believe it. However, he most certainly had a small Rapala floating crankbait equipped with two treble hooks. I mentioned something to him as we exchanged "any luck" greetings, and he just ignored us. We saw him again later and he ignored my strong suggestion that he was fishing illegally. When we got back to the park office, we mentioned something to the employees and they insisted that they would call a ranger to investigate.

I carry a spin and fly rod with me while fishing Dukes, and have a tackle box of barbless flies and single-hook barbless spinners that remains separated from the mess of all my other tackle at home. I follow the strict regulations religiously and it appears that most others do as well. I was shocked to find that the park employees had no authority to enforce the regulations, they just ensure you sign the paperwork and will threaten to call the authorities if need be. I'm hoping this gentleman was dealt with properly, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered a similar situation? Have you witnessed or been on the receiving end of regulation enforcement at Duke's Creek? I hate to open Pandora's Box or reveal a opening for those that aren't law abiding, but I'm hoping this was a exception and not the norm.
Gonna ask the obvious question here. Are you sure the trebles were barbed? Or are we just making an assumption?

Trebles are quite legal at Dukes. "Anglers must use artificial lures with barbless hooks" is the only qualifier on friendsofsmithgallwoods.org. I have also been checked on numerous occasions with barbless trebles and have been approved by LEO checking me.

I once went fishing at Dukes after a rain throwing Yo-Zuri Pin's Minnows. I was HYPER aggressively checked by the Rangers. ChefKY can verify this. Gear guys pretty much get treated like we are guilty until proven innocent there. I see that bleeding over here to a degree.

If he was barbed I 100% agree with you, but it sounds like we are just assuming.
Old 01-22-18, 04:41 PM   #10
gau16
Native

browniez bringing up a good point, there.