NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-18, 09:47 PM   #21
Dave375
Native

Very interesting articles Phil and Dylan, thanks for sharing.
I fish barbless hooks for the same reasons trout4life describes unless Iím planning to keep the fish. You donít lose very many and the release is so much easier.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 09:53 PM   #22
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Gonna ask the obvious question here. Are you sure the trebles were barbed? Or are we just making an assumption?

Trebles are quite legal at Dukes. "Anglers must use artificial lures with barbless hooks" is the only qualifier on friendsofsmithgallwoods.org. I have also been checked on numerous occasions with barbless trebles and have been approved by LEO checking me.

I once went fishing at Dukes after a rain throwing Yo-Zuri Pin's Minnows. I was HYPER aggressively checked by the Rangers. ChefKY can verify this. Gear guys pretty much get treated like we are guilty until proven innocent there. I see that bleeding over here to a degree.

If he was barbed I 100% agree with you, but it sounds like we are just assuming.
I second this. Last two times I fished Dukes, I fished on the spin. And I fished....you guessed it....Rapalas. One was the day before I guided a friend who only spin fishes, so I hit the creek with a spinning rod and all debarbed Rapalas, debarbed jigs, ect. I did that simply to get a feel for spin fishing Dukes as a barometer, as I had never spin fished it before. I did quite well, and lost a couple slabs who simply shook the hook. The next morning, I met my friend there. I spent a disheartening amount of time (nearly an hour and a half) debarbing his spinners, spoons, and cranks with my fly vise clamped on the table under the pavilion by the cable across from the visitors center. He was using mostly spinners, a broken tipped, beat up old rod with flourescent blue 10 lb mono on it, and we were both wading in old sneakers. To the naked eye, you might jump to the conclusion that we were regular Ol' 'billies ignorant or inconsiderate of the rules, but I took every single precaution to ensure we were legal.
You can't assume Rapalas are barbed. I crimp all the hooks on mine with my fly vise.
If you spend any amount of time collecting flies from logs and branches at Dukes, you'll quickly come to realize that about 50% of the flies you collect are barbed. More guys fish barbed at Dukes than you think.
I sure am glad nobody called the LE on me just because I had a box full of crankbaits! If "Tall Ann" showed up to check me, she'd have waved and said hello, and kept on driving. I've worked with her when reporting three different crimes on Chattahoochee WMA in the last two years. She knows me by name, and has checked me probably five or six times over the last several years. The last time I ran into her, she called me the "Chattahoochee crime watch".
When you stay on the good side of the law long enough, people begin to take notice. Being above reproach is always the Golden rule.
Never judge a man because of what he wears or the lure he chooses on the river. He might just fish circles around you. On a deluge, high flow day, a man chucking an egg sinker and a senko worm on a zebco might just be the smartest man on the river.......

Last edited by Killer Kyle; 01-22-18 at 11:13 PM.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 10:41 PM   #23
Dylar
Native

Senkos are scented (salt impregnated); are scented lures allowed?
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 10:51 PM   #24
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
Senkos are scented (salt impregnated); are scented lures allowed?
Not at Dukes, hence why I mentioned "The River" and not "The Creek"! I fish the hooch A LOT, and I was referencing that. I seldom fish Dukes anymore.
Old 01-22-18, 11:21 PM   #25
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I wonder if the original PhD research is still available and if there have been meaningful follow up research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Throughout the last year or so, I am quickly learning that such research may be publicly available, while some can cost you in excess of $40.00 just to be able to view online for a few days or a week (rent). Research Gate online is one of those hoarders and robbers. Getting your hands on good, peer reviewed research can often cost the layman who isn't member to a wildlife society significant $$$. I wish all research was freely available. I absolutely despise the greedy fingers that monopolize good papers like that.
Old 01-22-18, 11:40 PM   #26
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Throughout the last year or so, I am quickly learning that such research may be publicly available, while some can cost you in excess of $40.00 just to be able to view online for a few days or a week (rent). Research Gate online is one of those hoarders and robbers. Getting your hands on good, peer reviewed research can often cost the layman who isn't member to a wildlife society significant $$$. I wish all research was freely available. I absolutely despise the greedy fingers that monopolize good papers like that.

I concur whole heartedly about research being free. The issue, at least in my field, is that free to the public (ie open source) research typically, if not always carries a publication cost to the author(s). Most scientists feel like research that was published under a pay to publish agreement is hogwash, and in most cases they are correct (again at least in my field). Journals have succumb to capitalism over discovery. In academia it use to be publish or perish, now it's all about grant money . And most grants have a line item for publication fees. For those scientists without funding, we are left publishing in journals that are not free to the public. When I was a kid you used to be able to walk onto the campus of most any college/university and at least read an article, if not make copies or loan/rent the entire journal. Nowadays, with e publishing, you would likely need a university ID (pay tuition) to even log on to the server to just read an article. Searching the Google can sometimes work; better yet emailing, calling, etc, the author of correspondence usually gets you a PDF in 24-48 hours.

Thanks for the articles guys. They've been put on the to read list.

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 12:13 AM   #27
SquatchyWater
Native

Received a new fly pack for Christmas and forgot to take my box full of flies from a guided trip in Colorado out..... got slapped with a big fat ticket on Saturday at dukes. If there was a guy fishing rapalas with barbs I think the half dozen rangers there wouldíve been on it. It Sucks that a careless mistake cost me a lot but Iím happy to see enforcement increasing at dukes.
SquatchyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 09:17 AM   #28
trout4life
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to trout4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Not at Dukes, hence why I mentioned "The River" and not "The Creek"! I fish the hooch A LOT, and I was referencing that. I seldom fish Dukes anymore.
You probably know this. Hooch from 20 to 141 is artificial only which I thought was non scented. I fish settles and below 20 sometimes and have seen some folks with live bait/corn at times.
trout4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 11:00 AM   #29
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout4life View Post
You probably know this. Hooch from 20 to 141 is artificial only which I thought was non scented. I fish settles and below 20 sometimes and have seen some folks with live bait/corn at times.
Nah, I didn't know that. I don't fish the river down there around Atlanta/Gwinnett. I fish it around Helen. I don't know anything about the river down there. Only fished the dam a few times before and never any other part of the tailrace.
Old 01-23-18, 12:21 PM   #30
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I wonder if the original PhD research is still available and if there have been meaningful follow up research?

You can check the citations log.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote