NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-18, 01:29 PM   #31
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I wonder if the original PhD research is still available and if there have been meaningful follow up research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go...

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?u...92844784581556
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 02:27 PM   #32
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I predict that fishing Dukes with barbless Rapala's will become all the rage.

Who knew?

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 02:30 PM   #33
GoutUnlimited
Native

Good data backed info here. However, I think the bigger issue here is improper fish handling practices. Dare I say that in my experience, I’ve witness far worse fish handling from fly fishermen than spin fishermen.

I.E. the purest without a net raw dogging trout. Or the guy fishing barbless plopping trout back into the water from a foot or 2 above the surface rather than letting them regain their bearing, think “oh I’m fishing barbless so that fish will live.”

Vs. Someone who is fishing barbed and again this is from what I’ve seen, will rarely even touch the fish, will simply pull out the hook with some pliers without ever having to handle it.
Old 01-23-18, 02:49 PM   #34
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Good data backed info here. However, I think the bigger issue here is improper fish handling practices. Dare I say that in my experience, I’ve witness far worse fish handling from fly fishermen than spin fishermen.

I.E. the purest without a net raw dogging trout. Or the guy fishing barbless plopping trout back into the water from a foot or 2 above the surface rather than letting them regain their bearing, think “oh I’m fishing barbless so that fish will live.”

Vs. Someone who is fishing barbed and again this is from what I’ve seen, will rarely even touch the fish, will simply pull out the hook with some pliers without ever having to handle it.

A properly balanced flyrod across the traps is shown to reduce trout mortality by 3.203%
Old 01-23-18, 03:02 PM   #35
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
I predict that fishing Dukes with barbless Rapala's will become all the rage.

Who knew?
Of course it will!

What's better than catching fish in an unskilled, cheap, lowbrow way?

It's better when the LEO checks you for 20 minutes, then ignores the three fly fisherman within 300 feet.

It's even better when after that you try to help out the people looking at you in disdain with fly recommendations.

It's the best when you see the steam come out of that guys ears when you borrow your buddies nymphing rod and whack two in short succession.
Old 01-23-18, 03:16 PM   #36
fishndoc
Native

My last trip to Dukes, I watched a fly fisherman "playing" a huge brown from the pool below the pavilion at the uppermost end. He said he had to wear it down cause he was fishing 6X. He probably fought the fish for at least 5 minutes, and then kept it out of the water for another two minutes while he and his buddy took multiple pictures.
I had to bite my tongue to not tell them they should have just gone ahead and put the dying fish on a stringer.

Most of the studies Iíve read suggest the major factors in C&R mortality are most importantly the amount of time the fish is out of water, and secondly over-playing the fish. The only significant factor with barbed hooks is the increased time it takes to remove the hook.

I almost never use anything smaller than 5X, and if I canít get the fish in quickly... it breaks off, which is ok. I donít see any reason to lift a big fish out of the water for a pict - either keep it in the net half submerged, or cradle it in both hands again half submerged so the water helps support the body.

Really big trout are just too special a creature to kill just so you can have another fish pict to post on the Internet.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:14 PM   #37
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
What's better than catching fish in an unskilled, cheap, lowbrow way?
Hey, I never said one bad word about fishing for trout with treble hooked lures. My attitude has always been; if it is legal then have at it.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 05:45 PM   #38
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 06:26 PM   #39
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
Hey, I never said one bad word about fishing for trout with treble hooked lures. My attitude has always been; if it is legal then have at it.

You are quite correct!

It was quite clear from your statement you have nothing against said lures.

Hey you have the Darth Vader force, don't you just levitate them out?

Next thing we know we will be doing pay for publication research on Midichlorian Force Interaction studies on trout mortality.
Old 01-23-18, 08:19 PM   #40
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post

The biggest variable impacting angling mortality is water temperature. At 58*, you can punt a trout to the next drainage and it will be fine. At 68*, it will die from an angry look.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote