NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-18, 11:20 AM   #1
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH
 
Big T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hiding from mankind
Posts: 2,057
Default Big T's Quilled Midge Dry Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3oWSRaxAFg

A good one for the midge hatches.
__________________
http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 11:56 AM   #2
Sighter
Native (Formerly known as DoubleRainbow)
 
Sighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gwinnett County
Posts: 465
Default

Great tie T! I usually don't tie dries but this looks like a great candidate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 03:10 PM   #3
GoutUnlimited
Native
 
GoutUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Peachtree Cors
Posts: 1,694
Default

Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

__________________
I am the walrus.
-Vladimir Iliych Ulyanov.
GoutUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 03:36 PM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH
 
Big T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hiding from mankind
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.
__________________
http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:16 PM   #5
GoutUnlimited
Native
 
GoutUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Peachtree Cors
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.
The color came out good, I did a 25/75 bleach to water. Did the baking soda rinse and even used good quills from the eye. Did a vigorous shake but didn't need to go that long, maybe because it was just one eye.

I did use warm water with the bleach then rinsed with cold water so maybe this attributed to harding the molecules and causing them to become more brittle or just crappy peacock that I got from Joannes. Probably both.

Also, just remembered I started by tying in the wider end first, and it would break of as the taper got thinner towards the eye, noticed you did the opposite which makes sense with the tension. Futhermore, the rit was very old from back when I made tie-die shirts MAAANNN! and I may have overdid it. Will have to try again and maybe dilute it.

Awesome video as always, learned a lot.
__________________
I am the walrus.
-Vladimir Iliych Ulyanov.
GoutUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 04:31 PM   #6
splatek16
Moderator
 
splatek16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Suwanee, GA
Posts: 1,141
Default

Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 05:04 PM   #7
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH
 
Big T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hiding from mankind
Posts: 2,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
Thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.
__________________
http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 05:32 PM   #8
GoutUnlimited
Native
 
GoutUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Peachtree Cors
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.
Whats a cassette is that like from the 80s?

Been doing the traditional way since someone stole my Nymphing setup at the dam. It work and you don't need to carry extra stuff cept a few leaders.
__________________
I am the walrus.
-Vladimir Iliych Ulyanov.
GoutUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved