NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-18, 11:20 AM   #1
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Default Big T's Quilled Midge Dry Fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3oWSRaxAFg

A good one for the midge hatches.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 11:56 AM   #2
Sighter
Native (Formerly known as DoubleRainbow)

Great tie T! I usually don't tie dries but this looks like a great candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 03:10 PM   #3
GoutUnlimited
Native

Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

Old 01-23-18, 03:36 PM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Great video. Two half hitches at once?!?! What!?!?

Since I've been in my perdigon phase, I've been doing some quilldigons that Stinkbait posted a link too. Did the bleach stripping which came out surprising well.

This stuff is a pain in the arse to deal with. As bad as herl is, quill is way more brittle. Broke off about half my ties then just started tying two per fly before they got to that breaking point. You can see the little bump in the third fly where I tied in the second.

The segmentation on these looks very realistic, so all in all its worth it.

Question: What are you using to die these? I tried Rit and it didn't come out like I wanted to. Wound up just taking a highlighter to a few and it gives off a nice lustrous sheen, and the darker edges really pop. I realize they are water based markers but hopefully a coat of rez will remedy this.

My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.

Old 01-23-18, 04:16 PM   #5
GoutUnlimited
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
My guess is you had them in bleach too long. I put in a 50/50 bleach water solution and shake vigorously for maybe five minutes. The key is to wash and then put in a baking soda water solution which neutralizes the bleaching.

I do use Rit on my dyed quills I will try and post a pic some time.
The color came out good, I did a 25/75 bleach to water. Did the baking soda rinse and even used good quills from the eye. Did a vigorous shake but didn't need to go that long, maybe because it was just one eye.

I did use warm water with the bleach then rinsed with cold water so maybe this attributed to harding the molecules and causing them to become more brittle or just crappy peacock that I got from Joannes. Probably both.

Also, just remembered I started by tying in the wider end first, and it would break of as the taper got thinner towards the eye, noticed you did the opposite which makes sense with the tension. Futhermore, the rit was very old from back when I made tie-die shirts MAAANNN! and I may have overdid it. Will have to try again and maybe dilute it.

Awesome video as always, learned a lot.
Old 01-23-18, 04:31 PM   #6
splatek16

Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
Thoughts?

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 05:04 PM   #7
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Good looking fly and I'm super glad it won't make my pee an smell. Phew, or PU!

At any rate, anyone try shortening their Euro leader to toss dry drop in the windy City, I mean the hooch tailwater?
Got a couple today, about eight, 4 and 4, but the wild was a Cray.
Thoughts?

I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.

Old 01-23-18, 05:32 PM   #8
GoutUnlimited
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I put a cassette reel on my Syndicate 3 weight and I am going to take a traditional set up with weight forward line and a 9 foot leader to use when it gets way windy, that way I can change from nymphing to regular line in a matter of minutes.
Whats a cassette is that like from the 80s?

Been doing the traditional way since someone stole my Nymphing setup at the dam. It work and you don't need to carry extra stuff cept a few leaders.