NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-18, 10:26 AM   #1
splatek16

Default HydroTherapy

After the ordeal with my truck, a near skunking at Dukes, and all the ice/snow storms keeping the college and elementary kids out of school, I'd not been in any water besides the bathtub in what seemed like a really long time (~a week or so). Yesterday, a really informed conversation with Dredger about barbs versus no barbs and state by state regulations, that changed. New schedule at the ol' "job" has me not teaching Tuesday and Thursday, and aside from the odd meeting (that I typically skip) these are good days for me to hit some water. Yesterday, I hit the 'Hooch TW. Man, was it windy (Jwole... knows!)! As usual, seemed calm as could be in the parking lot, but then as soon as my boots hit the water - enter gale force winds, ok, maybe 12MPH, but still. Anyhow, nothing was going to deter me and I am glad I stuck it out for some much needed hydrotherapy. When I could actually manage a decent cast to where I wanted it and that cast was able to get a decent drift, the trouts were biting. My first fish was a good sized 14-16 brown that barely moved after being hooked. Then I got a few smaller bows, then the bite seemed to slow.... Then it picked up again. I did catch one of the most beautiful rainbows I've ever caught, seen for that matter. It was all of 12inches; the entire cheek pad was bright bright red and the streak that pierced through the speckled side scales looked like someone had just hit him with a paintbrush! No pictures, because he ate a size 22 midge on my dropper tag and then proceeded to get tangled in my point fly tippet while twisting and turning in the net. (Side note/question: Has anybody else noticed that rainbows seem to twist and turn more in the net than Browns? That seems to the be the case more often than not; maybe it's the diff between stocked fish versus wild... Any insight is greatly appreciated.) In the interest of getting him back in the water I released him.
After him, a few more smaller browns ate and then I was out of there.

I did meet a nice fella from Miami in the parking lot. He has some amazing pictures of Peacock bass and other "exotic" invasive species such as Ciclids, etc. He was visiting family in marietta and had never fished for trout and was asking all sorts of good questions; he'd obviously done his research, but still needed a little pointing in the right direction (times like this you wish Big T's van was in the parking lot). He was using ultralight spinning gear and admittedly, I am not all that familiar with that technique, but gave him the little advice I could and sent him on his way. Later he was sitting on the bank watching me catch a few of the smaller browns as I was leaving the water and yelled to me "any chance you could grab my lure on your way out?" It was attached to a fallen tree branch. I waded over and got it; and also proceeded to hook myself right under my cuticle, which immediately made me reflect back to the conversation Dredger and I were having (and one that has been discussed on the Duke's Ck thread) and was hoping it was debarbed; nope. I ripped it out and then the blood came. No biggie; that's fishing sometimes.

Hoping to get back out Thursday, maybe after tying a few of those new bugs Big T has just posted vids of...
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 04:08 PM   #2
ChaChung
Native

Man, as I mentioned before, I'm so jealous of your schedule... May be some day I can grow up to be able to take Tuesdays and Thursdays off...

I bet that dude from Miami was freezing in the river...

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 06:38 PM   #3
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Last couple of outings have been tough to figure them out consistently and man I am over that wind!

My finger hurts thinking about that one.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 07:52 PM   #4
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChung View Post
Man, as I mentioned before, I'm so jealous of your schedule... May be some day I can grow up to be able to take Tuesdays and Thursdays off...

I bet that dude from Miami was freezing in the river...

I'm 100% certain you make more money and drive a nicer vehicle than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-18, 10:34 AM   #5
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

[quote=splatek16;891191](Side note/question: Has anybody else noticed that rainbows seem to twist and turn more in the net than Browns? That seems to the be the case more often than not; maybe it's the diff between stocked fish versus wild... Any insight is greatly appreciated.)

The real reason that they don't twist as flop as bad is because Big T has caught and released them so many time since they were fingerlings. He has them trained very well!!!! Those rainbow are new to the program.
Old 01-25-18, 11:54 AM   #6
Dylar
Native

Could be a size thing, too. Rainbows typically run smaller than browns, and small fish get overpowered by the gear and brought to the net green.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 01:15 PM   #7
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

IMHO it seems like rainbows basically have a freak out siezure at the net.

The big browns rage on the death roll though. Haunted memories....
Old 01-25-18, 04:54 PM   #8
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
IMHO it seems like rainbows basically have a freak out siezure at the net.

The big browns rage on the death roll though. Haunted memories....
Yeah. The freak out seizure in the net...
Size don't matter (in this case, anyhow). Bigger bows, do it, smaller bows, even wild stream bows, relative to browns. Again, in my limited experience.
Old 01-25-18, 10:42 PM   #9
txc35
Native

Default Ami trout

I should prob start a new thread but since I have the same problem as Splatek except that my problem is Th and F, instead of T/Th I thought I would add this here. My solution to my Th/F problem is solved by the following remedy. This remedy and 5 of his friends were administered this afternoon.

Last edited by txc35; 01-26-18 at 09:28 AM.
txc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 10:43 PM   #10
txc35
Native

I can see now that I have an even "bigger" problem. Maybe this is how big the fish felt when I caught it in fast water???

Help! How do I fix this?

Last edited by txc35; 01-25-18 at 11:08 PM.
txc35 is offline   Reply With Quote