NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-18, 02:15 PM   #1
CookieMonster30
Stocker

Default Out of state fishing

My next birthday will bring me into my 3rd decade on this planet and I'm looking to take a fly fishing trip outside of GA to celebrate. Can't decide between going for Salmon or Bonefish/Tarpon down in FL. Looking for any info on reliable guides and different places people have been where they had a great time and were able to land some fish on the fly. All info appreciated.
Old 01-25-18, 03:18 PM   #2
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster30 View Post
My next birthday will bring me into my 3rd decade on this planet and I'm looking to take a fly fishing trip outside of GA to celebrate. Can't decide between going for Salmon or Bonefish/Tarpon down in FL. Looking for any info on reliable guides and different places people have been where they had a great time and were able to land some fish on the fly. All info appreciated.
If you want guarantee fish, go for Salmon. Fishing for bones/poons can be frustrating at times.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 03:31 PM   #3
CookieMonster30
Stocker

Nice suggestion. Do you have any specifics guides/locations?
Old 01-25-18, 03:36 PM   #4
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Post Depends

It depends at least in part on where your birth date falls. Salmon (and steelhead) are very seasonal as are bones and the big minnows. The obvious solution of course is to do both trips!

ps. Tarpon. So a few years back I toured the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. The ceiling of which is the famous series of paintings Michalangelo painted. Do you recall the story of Jonah and the whale who swallowed him? The depiction on the Sistine ceiling is a tarpon! Or at least a fish that looks a whole lot like a tarpon!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 05:05 PM   #5
CookieMonster30
Stocker

Well my birthday is in late March but I'm not really worried about going on the trip on my birthday. I'll follow the bite no matter what time of year so if you have any Salmon guides or locations just let me know and whenever the season is I can make it work. As far as the Sistine chapel is concerned I'm not surprised the Silver King showed up to the party. I fought one about two years ago for an hour and a half before a hammerhead had him for lunch...
Old 01-25-18, 08:55 PM   #6
Dylar
Native

A Florida tarpon trip will cost you a fraction of what a salmon trip would.
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 07:50 AM   #7
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
A Florida tarpon trip will cost you a fraction of what a salmon trip would.
Not really if you look at 7 days of fishing.
Old 01-26-18, 07:54 AM   #8
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster30 View Post
Nice suggestion. Do you have any specifics guides/locations?
That all depends on what you want. Are you looking for a full week of fishing or just one day? Want to fish some and then see the area on other days? And yes, what about budget?
Old 01-26-18, 11:21 AM   #9
CookieMonster30
Stocker

Not sure on how many day I want to fish but at least 2-3. As far as $ I don't know how much I would be looking at for each trip I would like to go somewhere and strictly fish so not worried about seeing the area I figured I would get plenty of view when I went fishing so touring the area isn't a factor. Suggestions?
Old 01-26-18, 11:59 AM   #10
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Salmon

For salmon (and brother steelhead) you pretty much have two options, the Great Lakes and the Pacific coast. You could drive to the Great Lakes salmon/steelhead water and maybe even some monster lake run browns. Parts of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and New York all have these waters. Never talked about much, but the same salmon options are on the Canadian side. If you do the Great Lakes and drive you will burn a full day each direction but you will have optimum stream to stream mobility.

Pacific northwest is a fly to trip. By the time you get a place like Medford, OR you will burn one day for travel each way. Medford is center point for the Rogue and the Applegate and just a couple hours from the coast. One weird thing for me was trying to get my brain to accept elk herds 200 yards from the beach! Lots of other Pacific options for salmon all the way to Alaska. For either the Great Lakes of the Pacific, do some research on seasons for all these species and see when the salmon are running in Oregon or Michigan and line this up with your travel plans.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote