NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-18, 06:55 PM   #1
JakeAllenRobinson88
Stocker

Default 1/27/18 Smith Creek

Headed up to Smith Creek with my little cousin Saturday morning and I havenít been since last November and Iím looking for any advice... was thinking dry dropping and keeping it natural looking but any advice is much appreciated thanks 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JakeAllenRobinson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-18, 10:04 PM   #2
WesMac
Native

I have been having success on nymphs in the 16-20 size range Pheasant tails, Lighting bugs, prince nymphs and midges. Almost all your strikes will be subsurface. You can run a dry dropper or a nymph rig under a indicator, I would recommend doing whatever you are most comfortable with. About any place that looks deep enough to hold fish probably has fish in it. The main thing is to get your flies down close to the bottom.
WesMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 10:58 AM   #3
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Have 2 droppers! One junk one natural (recommend a small soft hackle for the natural and an egg for the junk). Then find which the fish like better and keep that one and switch out the non producing one to large or small junk/natural. Hope that made sense and best of luck

Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 01:10 PM   #4
JakeAllenRobinson88
Stocker

caught 6 of the like this on Y2Ks!!!

Old 01-28-18, 08:32 AM   #5
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Beaded junk flies fished in deeper holes, with extra weight on the line, under a very small strike indicator, dredging the bottom, worked for me on Tuesday of last week at Smith. Caught a bunch on a tan mop, green egg, pink squirmy, big olive and green girdle bug, green weenie, orange sucker spawn, red sucker spawn, and others. Friday was another story. Tried same flies, had several on, but none in the net. Maybe time to try something other than junk flies at Smith. Left Smith at noon on Friday and went to Ami, nothing, nada, until just before 4 when I caught a few on green egg and pink squirmy just above the Hwy 53 bridge. No luck at the hole in front of the handicap parking area. Wasn't able to try my favorite hole upstream because there were several people already fishing there.
Old 01-28-18, 08:56 AM   #6
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
Beaded junk flies fished in deeper holes, with extra weight on the line, under a very small strike indicator, dredging the bottom, worked for me on Tuesday of last week at Smith. Caught a bunch on a tan mop, green egg, pink squirmy, big olive and green girdle bug, green weenie, orange sucker spawn, red sucker spawn, and others. Friday was another story. Tried same flies, had several on, but none in the net. Maybe time to try something other than junk flies at Smith. Left Smith at noon on Friday and went to Ami, nothing, nada, until just before 4 when I caught a few on green egg and pink squirmy just above the Hwy 53 bridge. No luck at the hole in front of the handicap parking area. Wasn't able to try my favorite hole upstream because there were several people already fishing there.
Nice job Jake!!
Old 01-29-18, 11:36 AM   #7
JakeAllenRobinson88
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout "R" View Post
Nice job Jake!!

Thanks Randy we had a good time. He will be with me at the show this weekend