NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-18, 11:52 AM   #11
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Terminator, and Rocky are all hard to beat. Surprised nobody has mentioned 007 though...

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 08:15 PM   #12
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
Gout mentioned this one and I'll agree with both of you. It's actually referred to as the man with no name trilogy and includes A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. The character in Unforgiven has a family and a name (William Munny). Unforgiven is great but not part of the trilogy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't forget Hang'em High, High Plains Drifter....all classics

And while we're on Eastwood, don't forget the Dirty Harry series

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 11:28 PM   #13
UncleJesse
Native

The Star Wars series and Indiana Jones are both excellent. Dirty Harry ranks up there. Clint's spaghetti group are personal favorites. Can't believe you youngsters haven't mentioned the 007 group of movies, the Sean Connery were the best, IMHO, but most very good.

Not exactly a franchise in my mind, but most of us baby boomers grew up with John Wayne, some are very average and some classics; True Grit, The Cowboys and the Shootist were three of his best. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence also very good.
Old 01-29-18, 11:41 PM   #14
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post

Haha I love when he literally paints the town red.

Jakkbauer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 07:18 AM   #15
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
Haha I love when he literally paints the town red.

Yeah, "a man doesn't rest until his grave is properly marked."

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 09:02 AM   #16
GoutUnlimited
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
Well, like it or not, the Star Wars franchise has been around since 1977 and shows no signs of stopping, especially since the rights are now owned by Disney.
Never really like Star Wars but you gotta give it credit. Star Wars dives into the universe of imagination and folklore and addresses some all inclusive fanciful subjects that have been available crosswise over humankind since the very beginning; you'll see that most societies on Earth share a typical folklore. Indeed the Greek Odysseus was known as Ulysses in Rome, the Greek Zeus was known as Jupiter in Rome, the Greek Poseidon was known as Neptune in Rome and you're discussing an account of a youthful farm boy from the center of nowheres that goes up against an awesome oppressor - and this story is available in a great deal of legends, for example, Davey and Golith. This touches a center human feeling that we as a whole need to investigate through the dreamland. Those ideas we can't acheive in our own existence world.

I find that the general overall acknowledgment of Star Wars is likewise grounded in this shared trait that we as a whole offer. Rather than being restricted through one edge of reference, the one point of convergence, we can see things in a culturally diverse way, maybe. Truth be told, to develop that a tad, I imagine that you'll see that the Star Wars Universe is relatable for any culture on Earth; any monetary standing, any economical caste on Earth in light of the fact that, once more, we are discussing topics that are center to the idea of mankind when all is said in done.

Compared to Star Trek (lesser fan of) are constrained to a specific arrangement of conditions that exist in just about a two-dimensional plane where in Star Wars you're truly investigating distinctive sentiments about humankind, joy, bitterness; all the different range of the human presence. Despite the fact that you're discussing characters that are regularly not real, we as individuals can distinguish through their battles. Most awesome narrating needs to manage a hero, a standard individual up against unprecedented chances. I surmise that on the off chance that you take a gander at the writing over the historical backdrop of recorded time, you'll see that a ton of the best stories have taken after that same subject. The storyline is relatively immaterial in light of the fact that you're discussing great subjects here, about human accomplishment when looked with impossible chances.

This we would all be able to concur upon, it is all something we would all be able to relate to and relatability is an idea that is important to have a group of people put themselves in the story that you're telling.

The Star Wars universe, while in some way or another is exceptionally extraordinary, had a melodic soundtrack grounded in nineteenth century Romantic music and, truth be told, I can relate Star Wars, its interest, towards a portion of the considerable Impressionistic works of art like Vinny van Gogh, since his artworks in spite of the fact that not photographic, maybe, or photograph reasonable motivated our own creative energy to lock onto the ideas exhibit in the canvas; for instance, on the off chance that you take a gander at van Vinny’s Starry Night you'll see that once more, while it doesn't really look precisely like a city and stars and the breeze blowing through the trees, you can feel the sentiment what it resembled to be in that circumstance. You know, not at all like taking a gander at a photo, which once more, gives you that two-dimensional portrayal, a brief moment - microsecond-in time, in the event that we will. As anybody realizes that is had a terrible photo take of them, a brief instant in time doesn't frequently speak to the entire picture.

Nonetheless, when you're discussing the possibility of a sketch (and absolutely an oil painting, an Impressionistic oil painting) you're not really catching all the moment subtle elements, you're catching an inclination. Presently, how would you put an inclination down on canvas? How would you put an inclination down on screen? Now that is the activity of the creative storyteller and, truth be told, the storyteller for this situation took his own human feelings, his own human battles and that of others and place them into a phenomenal condition which none of us could have encountered yet would all be able to take pride in, identify with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Listen any joker that can get Ruskies on their side should run for president. Oh.

Seriously, great choices. Rocky was a classic. Being from Philly clearly biases my judgement. One time my flight back to Jolly ol england was overbooked (I actually lived there for a few god awful years!) I took the free first class ticket to hold off and go the next day. So did two English natives, now great friends. Anyhow, we drank and had a good time at the expense of US Air. The next day I took them on the quick tour of Philly; cheese steaks and the art museum steps were on the obvious to do lists. It snowed and we saw the Rocky statue.

After arriving back in England the Rocky Balboa movie was released and we went to see that movie in Mancester, England after watching "football" (yawn). It was pretty cool.

Being nerdy, I also like the star wars, but only the original; that new sh*t is horrible, for the most part.

Spencer actually like Jaws... it worries me...
Once more, the youthful battling farm boy needing to be a piece of everything - these are things that were touched upon in Rocky. I'm discussing the first Rocky. It wasn't tied in with winning the battle. That pictures not a boxing film. That picture is around a conventional person set in uncommon conditions. A person, he was the underdog ( so much like your Eagles) you know, another regular idea you find in a considerable measure of writing. He was the underdog that needed to make great. All he needed to do was take care of business. He needed to make it to the Spectrum; it most likely has some corporate marked name now, however at the time - 1976, shot in 1975-it was known as the Spectrum. These theaters and fields, amphitheaters had genuine names in those days, you know. I think Fenway Park is still named in that capacity, Candlestick Park I'm certain has been renamed. I don't generally take after baseball games myself yet I've heard these terms said and I realize that a great deal of the first, as Shea Stadium resembles CitiBank Field or something. Be that as it may, that is not by any stretch of the imagination relelvant to what I'm discussing here, fascinating by and by.

I'm stating that for a craftsman to acurately depict an inclination on film or a canvas or whatever the medium, we could be discussing a hill of dirt, extremely the masterful medium is unimportant. At the point when an artist gets up and sings, you couldn't care less adjoin the vocal ropes vibrating at specific frequencies, you're attempting to partake in and identify with a specific feeling that a craftsman is endeavoring to pass on. At the point when an artist investigates a hunk of mud and cleans up specific segments to make this extraordinary stone monument ( hypothetical, not that stupid statue) of workmanship, again it's not about the minerals that are available in the mud, it's about the inclination that you're attempting to pass on:

The Pats are going to ( much like Zeus) eat lighting, and crap the eagles.
Old 01-30-18, 09:17 AM   #17
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Beautiful prose as always Gout and extremely insightful. My only argument is calling David and Goliath legend vs. a historical happening.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 09:22 AM   #18
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I just like watching folks get their hands cut off with light sabers.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 09:34 AM   #19
GoutUnlimited
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Beautiful prose as always Gout and extremely insightful. My only argument is calling David and Goliath legend vs. a historical happening.
Indeed a historic happening, I meant to use that as secular parable with modern undertones revealing the weakenesses of Splatek’s Phillystines
Old 01-30-18, 02:23 PM   #20
raptor
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post

How can you all mention an Eastwood film without the addition of "Josey Wales"? The film had some of the most classic lines of all time!
* Missouri Boat ride
* Pull them pistols or whistle Dixie
* Dyin' ain't much of a living.
and many more "I reckon"....
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote