NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-18, 02:45 PM   #11
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

I've started experiencing the same thing T. I've gotten a pair of readers for occasional use but am still trying to be in denial for needing them. I haven't taken them fishing yet because I'm still able to make the knots for now (but getting more difficult).
But I'm also tying with a lot larger line and hook that's easier to see than what you are using.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 04:10 PM   #12
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Flame

Step by step process:

1. Admit you need them (Skibum, this one is for YOU!)
2. Go to Walgreen's, buy 3 packs of $15/3 pairs of readers
3. Sprinkle reading glasses everywhere you might need them, ie, in the truck, on the coffee table, in your vest, etc.
4. Be thankful you don't need glasses all the time (Skibum, this one is NOT for you!)

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 04:22 PM   #13
retiredmp
BOD Member, Hall of Fame Member

I have prescription trifocal sunglasses. I still need a pair of the magnetic readers that Ferrulewax referenced.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 05:04 PM   #14
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I will summarize what I have found out for those who might be in the same boat.

I could get (most expensive) progressive lensed sunglasses that correct your long range vision up top then transition into mid range correction then close up on the lower end. It is a smooth transition unlike bifocals. However, it will create a blur in your peripheral vision. The more expensive the lens the less blurry area, but still more than I think I want fishing.

Then there are less expensive bifocals, which either you have to work to find the sweet spot for magnification to see the close up stuff or have a large magnification area down low that would most likely drive me nuts when I am not using it.

Since my long range vision is still good except for driving at night I am getting a pair of glasses to help with that and stick in the vehicle. I will see if readers or the flip downs work best for my knot tying.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 08:08 PM   #15
Swimmer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I will summarize what I have found out for those who might be in the same boat.

I could get (most expensive) progressive lensed sunglasses that correct your long range vision up top then transition into mid range correction then close up on the lower end. It is a smooth transition unlike bifocals. However, it will create a blur in your peripheral vision. The more expensive the lens the less blurry area, but still more than I think I want fishing.

Then there are less expensive bifocals, which either you have to work to find the sweet spot for magnification to see the close up stuff or have a large magnification area down low that would most likely drive me nuts when I am not using it.

Since my long range vision is still good except for driving at night I am getting a pair of glasses to help with that and stick in the vehicle. I will see if readers or the flip downs work best for my knot tying.
On the really little stuff, I tie a length of tippet on the fly at home and then just double surgeon's knot the thing onto the leader at the river. And... you're not old. You're younger than my boys. ,😁

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-18, 08:45 PM   #16
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I've been down this road many years ago. Started out with straight prescription, then progressives. One of the best investments I ever made was a pair of prescription sunglasses. JahLive! here on the board hooked me up with a pair of Costa progressives that I still use today. Expensive, but worth every dime. But the best thing I ever did as far as eye optics was contacts. I have two different scripts, right eye is set for distance, left eye is set for close. I have a pair of flip down magnifiers for on stream use. They are especially useful in shady, low light areas. You would be surprised at how much difference a ray of sunlight makes when dealing with 6 or 7x leader and #18 hooks.

I understand your concerns with high end, high priced optics. You have only one pair of eyes. Choose wisely. Having just been through eye surgery to repair a vitreous detachment, I learned to take nothing for granted when it comes to eye care.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 12:24 PM   #17
Bboyd
Native

I wear contacts and bring along 3x readers I tie around my neck for knots and stuff. It works great.
Bboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 01:34 PM   #18
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboyd View Post
I wear contacts and bring along 3x readers I tie around my neck for knots and stuff. It works great.
2.5's or 3's for me as well Bob, works just fine even on dam sized flies

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 05:55 PM   #19
NetBoy
Native

My rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glasses.jpg (28.7 KB, 19 views)
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 08:39 PM   #20
Swamp Angel
President

T, I realized I needed readers about seven years ago. When Meaux and I geaux out fishing on the 'Hooch I wear polarized sunglasses with +2.5 bifocals to tie my flies on my line. I also use +2.5's to tie my junky, trashy, ugly flies in the basement. For regular reading, I only need +1.25. But let's face it, there are multiple magnifications for multiple uses in our old age.

Get several variations and test them out for each use. Some will be good for reading that menu at a restaurant while others will be better for tying flies.

Welcome to old age the years of wisdom.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote