NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-18, 10:55 AM   #1
Philhutch80
Native

Default Chattahoochee Riverkeeper Pollution I.D. Program

All,
Had a question. After speaking with the Technical Programs Director, Jessica Stirling, from the CRK she informed me they have a program where they come out and instruct fishermen how to watch for both point and non-point pollution on the Chattahoochee. My question is why is this not a standard at every NGTO fling event?
There are many, including myself, who spend hours upon hours on the river each week and with better identification of these issues it could bring more light to getting the river some of the help it needs. Most of us are aware of some of the identification required just through common sense but I feel this would greatly aid in promoting a cleaner river and also build a bridge between NGTO and the CRK folks. The more people united to protect the river, the stronger our voice for conservation becomes. Thanks!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 11:53 AM   #2
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

You might be surprised about the # of times fishermen/boaters have reported source discharges. Get with the Board and arrange for a presentation at the next fling.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 12:21 PM   #3
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
All,
Had a question. After speaking with the Technical Programs Director, Jessica Stirling, from the CRK she informed me they have a program where they come out and instruct fishermen how to watch for both point and non-point pollution on the Chattahoochee. My question is why is this not a standard at every NGTO fling event?
There are many, including myself, who spend hours upon hours on the river each week and with better identification of these issues it could bring more light to getting the river some of the help it needs. Most of us are aware of some of the identification required just through common sense but I feel this would greatly aid in promoting a cleaner river and also build a bridge between NGTO and the CRK folks. The more people united to protect the river, the stronger our voice for conservation becomes. Thanks!
Set it up. Can't hurt.

However, were you at the last Fall Fling? We lined up Jason Ulseth, THE Chattahoochee River Keeper, to speak at the Fall Fling last November. Of the approximately 75-100 folks that attended, about 6 came and listened to his talk. You can lead a horse to water...

I did speak with Jason at the Fly Fishing Show (he was there on Friday) and we discussed CRK coming back to the upcoming Spring Fling April 14th. He seemed enthusiastic about it. I was setting up BBQ so I also missed if he spoke specifically about this program. Maybe a talk specifically promoted in advance to fishermen about how to watch for point and non-point source pollution would be better received.

One last thing, NGTO always has and still does strive to be a guilt-free zone. It is a conduit for information from a diverse group of folks that have many perspectives. Feel free to promote whatever you want but don't go getting negatively preachy if the horse doesn't want to drink. Honey works much better than vinegar here.

If you are interested in water quality, you could also work on getting these folks to the Spring Fling also. The more at the Flings the better.

https://adoptastream.georgia.gov/getting-started

Last edited by THE EG; 02-12-18 at 12:27 PM.
THE EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 01:20 PM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
You might be surprised about the # of times fishermen/boaters have reported source discharges. Get with the Board and arrange for a presentation at the next fling.
Actually not at all considering what I have seen and reported regarding questions of the construction at Suwanee creek. I am with you on speaking with the board and that is why I posted bout it sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
Set it up. Can't hurt.

However, were you at the last Fall Fling? We lined up Jason Ulseth, THE Chattahoochee River Keeper, to speak at the Fall Fling last November. Of the approximately 75-100 folks that attended, about 6 came and listened to his talk. You can lead a horse to water...

I did speak with Jason at the Fly Fishing Show (he was there on Friday) and we discussed CRK coming back to the upcoming Spring Fling April 14th. He seemed enthusiastic about it. I was setting up BBQ so I also missed if he spoke specifically about this program. Maybe a talk specifically promoted in advance to fishermen about how to watch for point and non-point source pollution would be better received.

One last thing, NGTO always has and still does strive to be a guilt-free zone. It is a conduit for information from a diverse group of folks that have many perspectives. Feel free to promote whatever you want but don't go getting negatively preachy if the horse doesn't want to drink. Honey works much better than vinegar here.

If you are interested in water quality, you could also work on getting these folks to the Spring Fling also. The more at the Flings the better.

https://adoptastream.georgia.gov/getting-started
The fall fling I was out of town for so there was no way I could attend. You are totally right about leading a horse to water but why not put this talk outside where the annoucements for the raffle winners and iron skillet competition occur? Everyone's attention would be held by food and that is usually a great time to engage in activities like this and it would be a good parlay into the conversation of conservation. Also, does NGTO have an award or could one be created for a member who puts their time and effort in for conservation? Just a thought. I do like your idea of a more focused talk though.
Honey always catches more flies than vinegar for sure. I have not been negatively preachy sir. Just either uneducated or misinformed on some things because there is little info out there. I do my best to try to be as informed as I can and ask questions. I will voice my opinion as many others have based upon my current perspective and sometimes it is not all sunshine and rainbows but rather the reality I see. It may come across as harsh but at least it is in integrity.
Always enjoy your perspectives sir! Thank you and look forward to seeing you at the Spring Fling or perhaps on the water!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote