NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-18, 07:49 AM   #11
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Of Hooch View Post
I wouldn't say old fiberglass rods are necessarily better than new fiberglass rods. Instead, I'd say the overall quality of some of the good old glass rods is really surprising. For trout fishing on medium to large streams, it's hard to beat a 6wt Fenwick in the 7.5-8' range made in the 60s or 70s. When you pair one of those rods with an old USA made Pflueger Medalist, there's definitely a nostalgic aspect if you think of all the fish that combo has caught over the years.

Like others have said, the introduction of S-glass has been a major development in fiberglass rods. Not only is it lighter in hand, but maybe more importantly, it allows new glass rods to be consistently produced in lighter line weights, which is especially useful on our small mountain streams. Anything below a 5wt in glass was not very common in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Some of the modern 2, 3, and 4 wt glass rods are just excellent to fish and perfectly suited for small stream fishing.

A few of the major companies like Orvis and Scott are making some great modern glass rods, but some of the best modern glass rods are being produced by a relatively short list of less than a dozen small makers who specialize in designing modern glass rods. One of the most highly regarded makers is Mark Steffen, who rolls his own glass blanks and builds rods based on custom orders in his Arizona shop.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to get out sometime and compare a few old and new glass rods - no matter the age, they're lots of fun to fish.

Great Post!

One other aspect that today's glass has over glass from yesteryear is consistency. Rods today are made to closer tolerances, beginning with the glass fibers. Rods from years ago that were marketed as 5-6 wt today are clearly 5 wt or 6 wt. I know some rods are still marked 5-6 wt, but more are marked solidly "6wt". The manufacturers have better control over quality, creating a more consistent rod.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 07:58 PM   #12
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Talked to a few Fenwick guys at the show....there was a consensus that old fiberglass was much more delightfully engaging than the fiberglass now. Not that they're worse. I cast a few and there is definitely a noticeable difference. They even hooked me up with a hat.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 10:54 PM   #13
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Question to Mog, I have my fathers old Shakespeare rod, wraps and cork are crap, but I remember the day he bought it. Can it be refurbished?
Of course. Just needs to be stripped down to the blank and rebuild it from scratch. New hardware can be bought in desired finish and a new cork or wood grip installed. If guides are in good shape they can be salvaged but I would replace them as well just so it is all new. The magic is in the blank so if you like it, go for it. It's a lot of work.
Old 02-07-18, 08:20 AM   #14
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

thanks Kurt

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:05 AM   #15
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Got myself a Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt that I'm going to try at Smiths tomorrow. I already have the 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5 wt but wanted to try some higher end glass for small streaming. I'll post a report when I get back Been meaning to post all the reports I've put off for a while as well
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 12:51 PM   #16
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Got myself a Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt that I'm going to try at Smiths tomorrow. I already have the 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5 wt but wanted to try some higher end glass for small streaming.....
The Eagle Claw anglers here may take exception to this statement, as they tell me there is nothing "higher" than a Claw in terms of performance, versatility, multi-use, aesthetics, and "cool" factor.
Old 02-07-18, 01:14 PM   #17
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Talked to a few Fenwick guys at the show....there was a consensus that old fiberglass was much more delightfully engaging than the fiberglass now. Not that they're worse. I cast a few and there is definitely a noticeable difference. They even hooked me up with a hat.
Well, anyone that gives me a hat or a t-shirt is good people, in my book!

Quote:
Got myself a Redington Butter Stick 7' 3wt that I'm going to try at Smiths tomorrow. I already have the 6'6" Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5 wt but wanted to try some higher end glass for small streaming. I'll post a report when I get back Been meaning to post all the reports I've put off for a while as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside Sam View Post
The Eagle Claw anglers here may take exception to this statement, as they tell me there is nothing "higher" than a Claw in terms of performance, versatility, multi-use, aesthetics, and "cool" factor.
Higher end? Really!? You hurt me John, you hurt me deep! As @Buckman1 has already pointed out there "is no other better rod" for small streaming than the EC Featherlight (length and actual weight is the only subjective variable in the equation!) I kid (sorta) about this, but I sure hope you aren't going to be climbing any waterfalls with that Butter, $200 stick of butter. Outside of the obvious performance characteristics of the "claw" @Streamsidesam's analysis left out one of those oft forgotten positives of the EC Featherlight: Cost. If I fall and break mine, while my heart and soul will effectively be crushed, for just a little more $ than Gout uses to procure hats from reps at "the show" you could get a brand spanking, shiny, new CLAW
#allhailtheclaw But good luck with your butter!
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 02:12 PM   #18
Sighter

Begone you brandishers of the margarine stick! The butterstick is far superior in every aspect!

Haha all jokes aside I am not bashing the eagle claw guys, y'all know I am on the Eagle Claw train. I have used the same claw since my first bluelining days, and its seen a great many number of falls, scrapes, and battles in the rhodo jungle. In fact, I have two of them in the case that my primary one breaks. However, I got a good deal on this rod and wanted to experience a nice upgrade on the fiberglass action. The warranty is lifetime so in the case I do break it, 30 dollars and a new one is sent. Now in regards to how I hurt you Steve, you know it's all on me and not you lmao

I'll let you guys know how it performs in comparison to the Eagle Claw and if I can convince Richard to join me, he can provide his input as well.

If anyone viewing this thread is trying to get into bluelining there was a good conversation on rods to use on small streams here.
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ferrerid=31680
Old 02-07-18, 09:28 PM   #19
Sighter

Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-18, 11:42 PM   #20
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a nice fish. I think I might just get a butterstick just so I can match it to my not-so-slim fit sharkskin.
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote