NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-18, 12:53 PM   #11
The Field and Fly
Native

Sweetwater Brewing also did a big stocking at Paces a few weeks ago with a bunch of big fish. I know we put in a dozen over 20" any reports on those being caught...and released?
Old 01-31-18, 02:23 PM   #12
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Field and Fly View Post
Sweetwater Brewing also did a big stocking at Paces a few weeks ago with a bunch of big fish. I know we put in a dozen over 20" any reports on those being caught...and released?
Yes, look at Jakkbauer’s avatar. That 20” bow came from downstream of where that stocking occurred less than 24hrs later. Fish move more than we realize sometimes.
Old 01-31-18, 03:17 PM   #13
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Yes, look at Jakkbauer’s avatar. That 20” bow came from downstream of where that stocking occurred less than 24hrs later. Fish move more than we realize sometimes.
This is true. She ate a mepps with two hooks cut off and took drag three times before she finally got in my net shaking her head violently the whole time. At first thought I was snagged until I felt the shaking. Was a nice surprise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-18, 05:18 PM   #14
mbailey729
Native

They’re out there but I agree that is has seemed slower than in past years. Did catch 3 small bows this AM at JB
Old 01-31-18, 07:56 PM   #15
trout1980
Native

Maybe the stripers are eating them all?
Old 01-31-18, 10:23 PM   #16
Daves deceiver
Native

Default bad fishing at Cochran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout1980 View Post
Maybe the stripers are eating them all?
Ive been told that they are not there in Winter.I believe that to be fake news I've fished every DH since they began and it has gotten really slow the last several years.There are also much fewer hatches.I have fished over the years every month of the DH and always caught some fish.Cochran is no bigger than it used to be.Something has definitely changed
Old 01-31-18, 11:11 PM   #17
troutbum69
Native

I thought DNR poisoned the stripers a few years back in West Point? Something about managing largemouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
Old 02-01-18, 12:32 AM   #18
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves deceiver View Post
Ive been told that they are not there in Winter.I believe that to be fake news I've fished every DH since they began and it has gotten really slow the last several years.There are also much fewer hatches.I have fished over the years every month of the DH and always caught some fish.Cochran is no bigger than it used to be.Something has definitely changed
Silt is literally killing that section but the responsible party said it is too costly an endeavor to fix. The times I have fished the DH you could certainly see the striper moving in the river.
Old 02-01-18, 01:48 AM   #19
jimbo
Native

Catching changed after the big flood bottom scoured vegetation was removed by flood and silt has envaded several areas and yes the stripes are there along with otters. You don't see the herrons fishing like before.
Old 02-01-18, 08:45 AM   #20
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Reasons that I think the DH trout fishing is poor compared to 10 years ago, in order:

1. Reduction in number of trout stocked. This is the main reason. I think you’re looking at a 5-10 fold reduction compared to the mid 2000s

2. Water temps and quality.

3. The big flood as mentioned above and it’s affects.

4. Cormorants. I used to see one in a rarity, now I’ve seen flicks of 30-40 that seem to follow the stocking truck. These fellas can eat some trout.

5. Food available to trout due to a variety of environmental reasons.

6. Land development runoff’s causing temp and pollution spikes.

1000. Stripers. These fish simply are not in the winter DH in a quantity and metabolism state high enough to greatly affect trout numbers. The last few weeks the river water temps were in the 30s. The stripes are all in West Point where the temps are high 40s, eating shad in great abundance, with no desire to travel 80 mile to ice cold water to look for trout. I have caught hundreds of stripers and hundred of trout in this drainage basin over the last 15 years, and have no first hand accounts of them destroying trout in the middle of the winter. It does make for a good ghost story though, so I suspect this rumor to be further perpetuated.
Closed Thread