NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-18, 02:10 PM   #31
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Dang good question. Still though until the silting in issue can start to be resolved it is kind of a moot point because if the trout go, what will the striper feed upon? Plus shoalies just look dang cool!
I agree that I'm not sure we would have a resident population throughout the year without the snacks being dumped into the water in the winter.

The fish are still there at that time because there is still a food source worth staying for. Take that away and they will simply leave and come back to spawn.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-18, 02:34 PM   #32
trout1980
Native

Shoalies are being stocked again below Morgan Falls.

It might be time to just realize the habitat has changed below Morgan Falls and is no longer favorable to trout and the quality of fishing may decline as a result.
Old 02-02-18, 02:41 PM   #33
gau16
Native

I like the idea of an upper (above MF) tail water being a great trout fishery and then the lower being more "natural". Shoals, stripers, etc.

A more diverse hooch seems really cool.
Old 02-02-18, 02:44 PM   #34
trout1980
Native

This might be controversial but the state might actually be "wasting" trout by stocking them below Morgan Falls anymore.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-18, 02:45 PM   #35
djangofly
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
I like the idea of an upper (above MF) tail water being a great trout fishery and then the lower being more "natural". Shoals, stripers, etc.

A more diverse hooch seems really cool.
Plus 1 on this - still looking for my first bass on the fly
Old 02-02-18, 03:33 PM   #36
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

I think there is some sort of uniformed misunderstandings going on:

1. Stripers are stocked, in abundance, much further downstream. The genetics are actually native to the drainage system. There is some debatable successful spawning. Hybrids are also stocked and are considered to be sterile.

2. Shoalies are native and spawn in the river in the DH section, among other places. The DNR has performed numerous supplemental stockings to maintain the population.

3. Trout below Morgan Falls do not have a sustainable population and are widely accepted to not survive the summer. They are stocked as a novelty (IMO) in the Nov 1 - May 15 dates to improve angler interest and accessibility to keep up some interest in the sport as well as some positive economic benefits such as licenses sales and fishing gear sales.

4. There is no striper "magic" in this river. Much like probably 15 other rivers in the state, many fish swim some distance upstream from lakes.
Old 02-02-18, 04:31 PM   #37
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis View Post

4. There is no striper "magic" in this river. Much like probably 15 other rivers in the state, many fish swim some distance upstream from lakes.
This is true. They do come up to spawn but the eggs don't make it in the flows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-18, 05:11 PM   #38
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout1980 View Post
This might be controversial but the state might actually be "wasting" trout by stocking them below Morgan Falls anymore.

Thoughts?

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
Old 02-02-18, 06:24 PM   #39
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

You dont catch many pure shoalies down there. You catch Alabama bass (what people think is a spot) X Kentucky bass (actually a spot) X Shoalie X Smallmouth mishmash hybrid mostly.

It's a Petri dish cesspool of genetic drift and hybridization.

Sad what damming and trout did to the Shoalie.

I'm actually of the opinion nowadays that they are a superior gamefish to browns.
Old 02-02-18, 07:03 PM   #40
mlewis
Hall of Fame Member Formerly Known as lewdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
You dont catch many pure shoalies down there. You catch Alabama bass (what people think is a spot) X Kentucky bass (actually a spot) X Shoalie X Smallmouth mishmash hybrid mostly.

It's a Petri dish cesspool of genetic drift and hybridization.

Sad what damming and trout did to the Shoalie.

I'm actually of the opinion nowadays that they are a superior gamefish to browns.
For sure. Unless you catch a dnr stocked shoalie in the hooch, you are getting one with its own unique genetic thumbprint. I am very fond of the shoalie in the hooch and flint, and I intent to visit the upper hooch to chase some one day. I have caught some pretty spectacularly colored up ones from the DH in the last few years, although not likely either genetically pure or of the thorphy size such as in the flint.
Closed Thread