NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-18, 06:56 AM   #1
CTA Mike
Native

Default New to Rowing - Suggestions

Have picked up a clackcraft Eddy. Any advice would be appreciated on options for a new rower to get his oars wet. Headed to the White in a month. I have a few days rowing on big waters out west; nothing complicated or difficult.

I have searched the forums and see several floats on the Hooch. Little research on the Watagua sounds like I need experience, or maybe that is just a specific float/section. Like to fish S. Holston. Have a little fishing experience on the Tuck and French Broad which look like good options for later.

I'm 62 so if I am going to get best use out of the boat I need to "get on it". Any advice on rivers/sections/shuttle options would be appreciated.

thnx
CTA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 10:49 AM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Lessons?

Someone recently had rowing lessons in the Swap Shop.
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 08:18 AM   #3
CTA Mike
Native

Got the boat wet, floating a section of the Hooch down from McGinnis Ferry. Next trip with is the upper Hiwassee (dam to Towee). Can it be run on 1 generator?
CTA Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 04:45 PM   #4
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA Mike View Post
Got the boat wet, floating a section of the Hooch down from McGinnis Ferry. Next trip with is the upper Hiwassee (dam to Towee). Can it be run on 1 generator?

From my limited experience you'd want 2 generators for that run in a hard boat. Might be doable with one though, just a little sporty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 03:33 PM   #5
WadingThroughLife
Native

Good first rows:

Hooch - anywhere - watch that hwy 20 rapid

Tuck in Dillsboro on both generators is a nice one to get your boat orientation in swifter water that the Hooch down. (I might not recommend the Bryson City part with 2 or 3 pretty interesting and possibly consequential areas until you feel more comfortable on the sticks)

Soho wasnt too bad in a raft, but haven't rowed my hard boat there. Saw a bunch on pretty low sluicing flows.

Watauga through the "quality fish section" wasn't bad on what the site said was sluicing minimum flows. Again, this was a raft, but there was never a spot i felt the hard boat wouldn't be just fine for. A couple of "exciting" areas you'd need to be pretty alert for.

Maybe do the Toccoa on falling water, but pick your sections carefully and do your research on them well. There's a few consequential obstacles to be aware of. I can't be a great there resource since I've only been through it a raft.
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 08:13 PM   #6
Bfish
Native

I would suggest hiring out guide Mark Scarborough for rowing lesson on the full Hiwassee. Everything else in the region will be a piece of cake after that.

PS one gen can be done to Towee, but it is very tight lines.
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote