NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Environmental / DNR > Environmental Issues / Conservation
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-18, 02:09 PM   #1
natureman
Native

Default Lake Lanier Full Pool Proposal

There is an interesting story over on the Lake Lanier Association facebook page concerning a proposal to raise Lanier's full summer pool elevation from 1071 to 1073. If adopted, which is very unlikely, there maybe some downstream consequences. In my conversations with them it seems to be just at the idea stage and mainly benefits the lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 04:00 PM   #2
Uncle Fun
Native

Default Lake Lanier Master Plan project update

Natureman you made an excellent post on their FB page.

If anyone attends the COE open house on The Lake Lanier Master Plan project update please post an update if possible.

The dates and locations are listed
https://www.facebook.com/lakelaniera...type=3&theater

https://lakelanier.com/2018/01/lake-...r-plan-update/
Uncle Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 05:45 PM   #3
natureman
Native

Thanks, although I didn't condemn the idea, I don't think folks over there liked what I had to say. I guess some think you can raise the lake 2 feet over full and there are no consequences. They definitely haven't thought things thru and IMO should spend some of their own money to do some preliminary research including downstream user impacts.
Old 02-15-18, 06:36 PM   #4
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
In my conversations with them it seems to be just at the idea stage and mainly benefits the lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses.
From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. But then again, that's who they represent.
Old 02-15-18, 06:44 PM   #5
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

My first thoughts when I saw “1073” was “what’s so special about that number? And would it make any difference in drier years?”

My next thought was “and what’s the impact to the shoreline, dam, and structure?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 09:38 AM   #6
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up What The EG Said!

" .... From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. ...

Amen, Brother. I was deeply involved with this issue via the old Chattahoochee Chapter TU. The Lanier Association was the group holding the view that the best place for the Gwinnett plant output was below the dam as rivers are 'self-cleaning'. It appears they still don't fully grasp the idea that the public owns Lanier, not the homeowners.
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 03:10 PM   #7
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

For those that are interested, The Corps is holding public meetings this month concerning Lake Lanier.

https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/new...k-gainesville/
Old 02-16-18, 03:56 PM   #8
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
" .... From what I have seen throughout the years going back to the Gwinnett County Water Works project on Lake Lanier, the Lake Lanier Association comes across as being only concerned with lakeside homeowners and recreation businesses on Lake Lanier. ...

Amen, Brother. I was deeply involved with this issue via the old Chattahoochee Chapter TU. The Lanier Association was the group holding the view that the best place for the Gwinnett plant output was below the dam as rivers are 'self-cleaning'. It appears they still don't fully grasp the idea that the public owns Lanier, not the homeowners.
Yes, and on top of that they do not actually own the property if recollection serves correctly. Isn't it a long term lease with the COE?
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:26 PM   #9
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Yes, and on top of that they do not actually own the property if recollection serves correctly. Isn't it a long term lease with the COE?

No, it is not a lease for the public property behind private homes down to the lake. It is a 5 year license permit to have facilities such a a dock, walkway, electric service etc. on public property. If the person doesn't pay the license fee or it is revoked for some reason then the facilities must be removed. The permit does not grant any exclusive use of the property. You would be surprised how many million dollar home owners around Lanier whine about paying the paltry amount for the permit.
The COE issues leases to marinas, quasi public clubs, county city parks and Lake Lanier Islands where long term agreements are warranted.

http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Portal.../Exhibit09.pdf

Last edited by natureman; 02-20-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:59 AM   #10
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...it's... Chinatown...

...follow the money...

Blessings!

Jimmy

P.S. ...great movie, btw...
Counslrman is online now   Reply With Quote