NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-18, 05:24 AM   #11
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
In my estimation, those streams today would be strictly hatchery supported. Who knows, maybe a token trout carries over but I'd think that's the exception. I would be more open to the quality of those creeks before logging and development silted everything in? Perhaps they were more legit back in the day?
You never know if they might not be there, who would have thought Stephens county would be such a prolific Brookie destination?

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 06:43 AM   #12
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
I know of a few near Tallulah Falls that I've always felt should have brookies. I wish we lived in a world where a bunch of conservation minded anglers and some researchers could work together to make it happen. Unfortunately, the feds would have an absolute conniption fit
Habitat fragmentation may actually be their death knell over all else.

We could always stoop to reservoir/spot/bluebacks bucket biologist skullduggery... I never would, but I'd certainly feel better about in that instance.
Old 02-01-18, 06:44 AM   #13
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
You never know if they might not be there, who would have thought Stephens county would be such a prolific Brookie destination?
This is true...

The streams on DF I'm referring to had Brookies until the late 90's when development in the headwaters silted them out. Also messed up the bow fishing in the main creek for a while. The bows have made a comeback. The Brookies will need a little redneck creativity in the form of a cooler in the winter, a minnow bucket, and a few buddies. Shhhh. Just our little secret.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 07:15 AM   #14
richf7
Native

Quote:
This is true...

The streams on DF I'm referring to had Brookies until the late 90's when development in the headwaters silted them out. Also messed up the bow fishing in the main creek for a while. The bows have made a comeback. The Brookies will need a little redneck creativity in the form of a cooler in the winter, a minnow bucket, and a few buddies. Shhhh. Just our little secret.
Adult beverages in that there cooler?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 08:21 AM   #15
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
This is true...

There are; however, some large mudpuppies that skirt out of the way just right to fool you for a few seconds if you're far enough away. One steep walk out if you're going back up.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 09:57 AM   #16
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Any thoughts that perhaps since these are devoid of stockers they may be candidates, in the extreme headwaters, for purr strain SABT reintroduction?

For that matter can we please get something going in GA to rival what TN is doing to return these fish?
I was looking into it and we have had some work done in the past 10 years but it was expensive. If anyone had 300k to spare I'd be happy to head up a project =)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 10:09 AM   #17
natureman
Native

For those of you who enjoy exploring streams you need to read Mark Oleg's trail reports. Great informational resource for getting into remote areas. This young man goes more places in a year than most of us do in a lifetime. Here is his Georgia list https://www.hikingtheappalachians.co...tegory/georgia
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 10:55 AM   #18
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
Adult beverages in that there cooler?
Absolutely. They help keep the water cold.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 11:09 AM   #19
mudrun
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
For those of you who enjoy exploring streams you need to read Mark Oleg's trail reports. Great informational resource for getting into remote areas. This young man goes more places in a year than most of us do in a lifetime. Here is his Georgia list https://www.hikingtheappalachians.co...tegory/georgia
Seconded - he goes way off the map, so be ye warned (and prepared) with an overnight kit, water filter, compass, map, etc.

There are other communities of people out there who search for "undocumented" waterfalls in remote places, which are good places for finding specks ... and the waterfall hunters often maintain discretion comparable to here. So there is still the joy/frustration of the searching...
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:05 PM   #20
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
I was looking into it and we have had some work done in the past 10 years but it was expensive. If anyone had 300k to spare I'd be happy to head up a project =)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'll do it for 200K
Just an FYI....
HAHA
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote