NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-18, 03:09 PM   #21
Philhutch80
Native

Default GREAT Conversation All!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Any thoughts that perhaps since these are devoid of stockers they may be candidates, in the extreme headwaters, for purr strain SABT reintroduction?

For that matter can we please get something going in GA to rival what TN is doing to return these fish?
BOTH Tennessee and North Carolina have been extremely aggressive in doing this as it is THE native fish. The lack of such a program just shows how low on the totem pole cold water fishing and conservation is in Georgia which is a dang shame considering the diversity of fisheries we could possess if there was more money and care given to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
In my estimation, those streams today would be strictly hatchery supported. Who knows, maybe a token trout carries over but I'd think that's the exception. I would be more open to the quality of those creeks before logging and development silted everything in? Perhaps they were more legit back in the day?
That is a great question Joey but one that is hard to figure out simply from the lack of data from that time period. Could always do a survey of them now and see what they look like!

Quote:
There are some outstanding candidate streams on the two most northern tracts of Dawson Forest, over 2,000 ft elevation.
LOL, now you got me researching! I always wondered why none of the streams coming off of Pine Log Mountain were not more cared for considering the elevation of that mountain is over 2300ft. Truly must be right on the edge of habitable waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
I know of a few near Tallulah Falls that I've always felt should have brookies. I wish we lived in a world where a bunch of conservation minded anglers and some researchers could work together to make it happen. Unfortunately, the feds would have an absolute conniption fit
Feds would not have a conniption fit. It is more of a state issue. Regarding the federal viewpoint though, out west the BLM controls most everything and seem to be far more responsive and open minded to trying things to help the environment where as on the east coast it seems the NPS's approach is FAR more conservative and not as beneficial to the environment here. The policies instituted by both tend to bear this kind of thing out. It is proactive(western) vs reactive(eastern) from what I have experienced. I would kindly ask for @natureman's perspective on this one as he has loads of experience from his former employer and always provides great insight.

Quote:
The streams on DF I'm referring to had Brookies until the late 90's when development in the headwaters silted them out. Also messed up the bow fishing in the main creek for a while. The bows have made a comeback. The Brookies will need a little redneck creativity in the form of a cooler in the winter, a minnow bucket, and a few buddies. Shhhh. Just our little secret.
And whose backyard are the raceways in for breeding purposes Joey?!?
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:17 PM   #22
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I'll do it for 200K
Just an FYI....
HAHA
I only say 300 because that's what the application I looked into asked for. I'd do it for grilled cheese and a place to stay if someone put up the funds to actually do it =)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:18 PM   #23
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Feds would not have a conniption fit. It is more of a state issue.
I have to respectfully disagree. In TN and NC they are working with the NPS, who can jump thru the federal hoops much easier. There certainly are factors at the state level that play a significant role, but the federal regulations are beyond archaic, and they really handcuff what state agencies can do.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:29 PM   #24
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. In TN and NC they are working with the NPS, who can jump thru the federal hoops much easier. There certainly are factors at the state level that play a significant role, but the federal regulations are beyond archaic, and they really handcuff what state agencies can do.
Yes which is why I included the statements after the one you cherry picked. I 100% agree that the archaic mentality that is so pervasive within the NPS is actually costing us time and opportunities to right these environmental issues that our ancestors created and left for us. The logging as well as the gold rushes truly changed the environment here nearly beyond repair. Clear cutting and the use of water monitors for mining washed all the nutrients away. An interesting study would be to compare the nutrient viability of old growth forests vs logged and mined and reforested areas. Could provide some good perspective data points that have not been realized yet, but again you have to jump through hoops to even get permission to try to help the environment which simply is befuddling. If you were to try to get a SABT restocking program going here, how would you go about?
Old 02-01-18, 03:46 PM   #25
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
I only say 300 because that's what the application I looked into asked for. I'd do it for grilled cheese and a place to stay if someone put up the funds to actually do it =)

I'd be right there along with you!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 03:59 PM   #26
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I'd be right there along with you!
Count me in as well!!! Sounds like a threat of a serious good time!!!
Old 02-01-18, 04:57 PM   #27
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Actually We Do

Actually we do have, "a bunch of conservation minded anglers and some researchers could work together to make it happen."

It's called Trout Unlimited
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 05:13 PM   #28
I_got_skunked
Native

What exactly is everyone agreeing to do for 200k?

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 06:25 PM   #29
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Actually we do have, "a bunch of conservation minded anglers and some researchers could work together to make it happen."

Yeah johnkies is right. TU is at least somehow involved in most stream renovation projects if not all. I've never been to a meeting but I think I'm at the point in my life where I might start attending some and see how I could be of help. Sounds like we need to make a carpool.

Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 10:33 PM   #30
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post

TU certainly does a lot of great work for brookies. They have never worked to put Brook trout in drainages that are secondary trout streams, which was the original point. They simply do not have the ability to do so

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote