NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-18, 07:03 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Spinning for trouts?

This may be an obtuse question, but I'm looking for tips on tossing spinning gear with success for them tailwater brown trouts. Mainly for Spencer. I know there is skill and finesse involved, but I'm not that sure of myself about it. We have a Bass pro ultralight, 4 pound test, a yellow rooster tail and a brown trout rooster tail, a small rapala rainbow and brown trout.
We will be bank or be very shallow wading fishing, like seven year old ankle wading. I've caught many fish on the fly, midges, nymphs, I've never tossed anything larger than an egg sucking leech, no streamers. Do we just toss and reel, like I might for bream and bass? Do I dead drift? Swing? Upstream cast, downstream cast?
All of the above?
Spencer has gotten a few small brownies and bows on the tenkara, but I'm hoping he might be able to get into something a little larger with spinning gear.
We will still take the tenkara and maybe even a small fly setup, but I want him to become a well rounded angler.
Advice welcome. Nothing is too elementary. I'm really trying to get this boy hooked up this winter.
Thanks y'all.
And have fun at "The Show" unfortunately with motocross, ice hockey, and the big game, we are unlikely to be able to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 07:32 PM   #2
erikclymore
Native

Throw around structure, seams, rocks, etc... Basically anywhere you would nymph. I would focus more on across and up stream presentations. I got the majority of my luck on rooster tails but rapalas, spoons, panther martins all work great.
Continuously reel rooster tails and other spinners, but give the rapalas, spoons, etc. some action from time to time whether it’s a jerk or pause. Mix it up.
Also, with some of the sinking lures play with depth. With standard 1/8 oz rooster tails I heard they sink about a foot a second, so every few casts play with the depth until you find a pattern.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 07:36 PM   #3
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
Throw around structure, seams, rocks, etc... Basically anywhere you would nymph. I would focus more on across and up stream presentations. I got the majority of my luck on rooster tails but rapalas, spoons, panther martins all work great.
Continuously reel rooster tails and other spinners, but give the rapalas, spoons, etc. some action from time to time whether itís a jerk or pause. Mix it up.
Also, with some of the sinking lures play with depth. With standard 1/8 oz rooster tails I heard they sink about a foot a second, so every few casts play with the depth until you find a pattern.

Super helpful.
Thanks

Old 02-02-18, 07:47 PM   #4
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Good questions, and I'm interested also...anything to get my kid off the XBOX.

I found a few threads with good info.

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ferrerid=30138

Old 02-02-18, 07:49 PM   #5
splatek16

thanks dude.
I guess I should've searched first

Old 02-02-18, 07:52 PM   #6
Jakkbauer
Native

For the type of fishing you are looking to do I would recommend a mepps Agila, just a personal preference. Gold or silver blades

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 08:18 PM   #7
WPrich
Native

Before I picked up the fly rod, I began catching trout with spinning tackle on the hooch. I can say the yellow and black panther Martin's and vibrax spinners in silver and a few other colors worked best as far as spinners. The browns that I was able to catch came on rapala countdowns and yozuri pins minnows. When retrieving them give them some steady twitches to make them seem erratic/injured. Fish them close to stucture and cast them slightly above and across the run your fishing is what worked for me. I got a few lures around the house, next time we fish together I'll pass you some of my faves for Spencer to use since I'm not using them.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 08:21 PM   #8
Dave375
Native

Little Cleo gold 1/8 oz
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 08:32 PM   #9
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Panther Martin guy here! They cost more but they are worth it. Black with gold blade is my go to color.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 10:13 PM   #10
del Monte chucker
Native

Definitely try rapala countdowns in silver with black back, and in my opinion the best spinner ever is a 1/8 or 1/16 oz panther martin in gpold blade black body with yellow spots (to spice it up, replace the stock treble hook with a #10 or #8 woolly bugger in black or olive). Heck, you can fish that woolly bugger with spinning gear with a little bit of split shot and/or a float.