NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-18, 10:21 PM   #11
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Spinners are like trucks. Most folks are die hard Ford (Roostertail) or Chevy (Panther Martin) fans with the occasional Toyota (Mepps). At the end of the day, it's really a matter of what you're comfortable with.

You can definitely catch them on the swing or reeling across current, but the rule of thumb is cast upstream and reel just enough to keep the blade spinning. Work the seams. They are especially useful on those "churning seams" around rocks and ledges, where a fly tends to just suspend in one place.

I learned to trout fish dead drifting a nightcrawler, very similar to highsticking a nymph. By the time I picked up a fly rod, I already had a decent understanding of good drifts, reading water, and how trout feed. I don't remember off the top of my head where bait is/is not allowed on the tailwater, but that might be something to think about as well.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 08:18 AM   #12
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
This may be an obtuse question, but I'm looking for tips on tossing spinning gear with success for them tailwater brown trouts. Mainly for Spencer. I know there is skill and finesse involved, but I'm not that sure of myself about it. We have a Bass pro ultralight, 4 pound test, a yellow rooster tail and a brown trout rooster tail, a small rapala rainbow and brown trout.
We will be bank or be very shallow wading fishing, like seven year old ankle wading. I've caught many fish on the fly, midges, nymphs, I've never tossed anything larger than an egg sucking leech, no streamers. Do we just toss and reel, like I might for bream and bass? Do I dead drift? Swing? Upstream cast, downstream cast?
All of the above?
Spencer has gotten a few small brownies and bows on the tenkara, but I'm hoping he might be able to get into something a little larger with spinning gear.
We will still take the tenkara and maybe even a small fly setup, but I want him to become a well rounded angler.
Advice welcome. Nothing is too elementary. I'm really trying to get this boy hooked up this winter.
Thanks y'all.
And have fun at "The Show" unfortunately with motocross, ice hockey, and the big game, we are unlikely to be able to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I can round up a some tackle to get the young man started off right. I'll PM you later after I pull the tackle together.

There are lots of ways to fish spinning tackle in the hooch and drifting a Crème Worm can be deadly.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:05 AM   #13
natureman
Native

Trout magnet and BB shot. http://troutmagnet.com/trout-magnet.html
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:09 AM   #14
splatek16

Thanks y'all.
Super helpful.
Might be a little chilly today, but we are going to try what y'all have recommended.
Really appreciate the help.
I imagine he'll be slaying brown hooch beasts before too long.

splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:09 AM   #15
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post

I've heard of these trout magnets. Do you toss them on fly or spinning gear, they look small

splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:40 AM   #16
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
I've heard of these trout magnets. Do you toss them on fly or spinning gear, they look small

You could put one on the fly rod but they are made for light spin tackle. Try a bobber (play with depth) cast upstream, let it float the run all the way down and swing, slowly reel back up, could get bit on the swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:47 AM   #17
natureman
Native

Walmart has them if you are interested. TMs are my go to when fishing with a spinning rod. My brother uses a fly rod with them. The assortment color pack is about $10.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 09:54 AM   #18
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Walmart has them if you are interested. TMs are my go to when fishing with a spinning rod. My brother uses a fly rod with them. The assortment color pack is about $10.
Just to add, I like pink or white for trout magnet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 10:28 AM   #19
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Trout magnets are killer (great for crappie to!). You can jig them thru a slower pool, or dead drift them under an Indy. I imagine a trout magnet with a splitshot or two and a thingymabobber would be quite castable. Think of it as a mop for a spinning rod.

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 10:30 AM   #20
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Cannot Do It Wrong

You cannot do any of this wrong. Some ways may be easier to learn, but you are getting your kid out there on the water and spending time with him which will only grow more precious over time. My father died when I was eight years old and I till remember going fishing and hunting with him. Great Job There Dad!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote