NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-18, 05:47 AM   #1
erikclymore
Native

Default Colored beads?

Iíve been tying a couple months now and at first I ordered nothing but silver beads to go along with the hooks. On my next order I figured Iíd vary things a bit by going with some black nickel and copper. I like the black nickel for most applications. Itís my go to bead. I feel if I need flash I can add it in the form of a hot spot or some flashy ribbing, and the copper is just a nice alternative. Iíve pretty much quit using the nickel silver. Now Iím torn. Part of me is content with the three colors already listed, but another part of me is really wanting to try some colored beads to very things up even more.
I was curious if anyone felt strongly either way about colored beads and their impact on a flies success.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 06:43 AM   #2
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Unless you get the anodized beads the color will eventually get knocked off. My go to beads were always copper, silver, and black. I have used colored beads but you get frustrated when you see them mostly chipped away with just patches of color left on them here and there.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 07:10 AM   #3
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
Unless you get the anodized beads the color will eventually get knocked off. My go to beads were always copper, silver, and black. I have used colored beads but you get frustrated when you see them mostly chipped away with just patches of color left on them here and there.

In my limited tying experience, I tend to agree. I stick with the basics
Black nickel, nickel, silver, gold, copper
Although, once come to like black and coffee,/brown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 08:39 AM   #4
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

I go along with the consensus here. 90% of my tying is done on Copper, silver and black. I do order flourescent orange specifically for my candy corn and florescent yellow specifically for a sparkle leech that I use on dh section but other than that it is black, copper and silver.

Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 11:40 AM   #5
ferrulewax
Native

I'm on the other side. I think that colored beads can make a huge diffrence. Think of how many fish see a copper/silver/ gold bead. Now think about a pink bead, blue bead, etc. You are showing the fish something very different from the average person. Changing bead colors also allows you to cover diffrent water colors. The sheen from a bead can be seen much farther away than anything on a fly, so I think bead color > rib color, dubbing , Hotspots, ect.

The color does wear off. Its just a part of it.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 12:11 PM   #6
erikclymore
Native

Tanks fellas.
I went a little overboard on hook buying at the fly fishing show, so I need to get some corresponding beads. That’s what spurred this question.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 04:25 PM   #7
WPrich
Native

I have a few colored beads that I bought when I first started and thought I needed every color bead for tying. Now I pretty much only use a few of the color beads florescent orange/metallic orange, pink, and some coffee/brown colored ones for some of the eggs,worms, and walts/pheasant tail variants I like to carry. Overall I think you can't go wrong with silver, black nickel, and copper for most flies. If you really feel you need the colored beads try tying in a hot spot of the same color on your fly, may get similar results as you think the bead would give you.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 06:33 PM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
I'm on the other side. I think that colored beads can make a huge diffrence. Think of how many fish see a copper/silver/ gold bead. Now think about a pink bead, blue bead, etc. You are showing the fish something very different from the average person. Changing bead colors also allows you to cover diffrent water colors. The sheen from a bead can be seen much farther away than anything on a fly, so I think bead color > rib color, dubbing , Hotspots, ect.

The color does wear off. Its just a part of it.
I agree and find certain colors super effective in certain watersheds and water conditions. Browns on the hooch dig metallic orange, pink works great in turbid water, and blue is effective deep etc.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 10:06 PM   #9
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

I like chartreuse!

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 10:40 PM   #10
FlickNdip
Native

As others have stated. WTer conditions will dictate if a change is needed. I have a whole bunch of colors that over the years, I have learned work better here and there. I like the approach also of giving the fish something they haven't seen before.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

www.thesoaringeagleoutfitters.com
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote