NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-18, 12:06 PM   #1
jkwolek1971
Native

Default I feel violated

Got out after the big release this am. Caught consistent fish on a red or brown midge sizes 18 & 20. Caught the pictured bow and he proceeded to violate my hand and waders with his ‘stuff’. Never had one do that before. Can someone comment on this and do you think they are actually reproducing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4700C50E-74A4-4202-AC6F-1FCF62DE7425.jpg (20.5 KB, 156 views)
jkwolek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 12:59 PM   #2
Sam_MTB
Native

I've had a few larger (brood) stocked fish try to get frisky with me before. I always thought it was because they spent their entire hatchery life with two functions: grow and reproduce, and the excitement of seeing a human got the juices flowing. Again, I've only seen this with larger fish ( in NC, not GA waters), and I really don't know why, but sure can speculate.
Old 02-06-18, 01:11 PM   #3
I_got_skunked
Native

As a matter of fact, a year ago yesterday at paces I experienced the same thing except I remember it primarily being with recently stocked brown trout. I don't remember if any of the rainbows I caught that day did.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 03:25 PM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Default Super Bowl Sunday

I caught three browns on the upper tailwaters going towards the dam. The first one was the biggest and 14" in spawning colors and he shot milt EVERYWHERE when I got him out of the net. Seems a bit odd that a streamborn fish would still be in spawning mode in February.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 04:17 PM   #5
jkwolek1971
Native

The numbers and placement of the spots on this bow seemed to me that it was a holdover or a stream-born bow. But I am not a biologist, I just play one on TV.
Old 02-06-18, 05:41 PM   #6
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Ah good old milt. Ain't lived till a trout has attempted to paint you with love juice.

Was the fish in question caught anywhere in relation to a creek? They definitely reproduce in the hooch, but not in the main branch, the secondary streams.
Old 02-06-18, 06:12 PM   #7
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 06:31 PM   #8
Killer Kyle
Native

I've had that happen quite a number of times. I remember one day at Smith Creek DH years ago where that happened twice, and I caught females that just shook out eggs the moment I touched them all in the very same day. All browns I think.
I never usually fish it until Dec or Jan, which is late for the spawn. I was wondering if the social stress of the raceways, or the stress of being stocked created some sort of delay in reproduction. That year on a different trip I watched browns executing spawning behavior in the creek in Dec or Jan also. Somewhat strange!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 06:39 PM   #9
jkwolek1971
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Ah good old milt. Ain't lived till a trout has attempted to paint you with love juice.

Was the fish in question caught anywhere in relation to a creek? They definitely reproduce in the hooch, but not in the main branch, the secondary streams.
It was about 50 yds down from Haw Creek. So not really close.
Old 02-06-18, 06:45 PM   #10
JerryG
Native

#metoo
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote