NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-18, 11:19 AM   #1
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member
 
Trout8myfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 6,897
Default Lake Lanier filling - at least for now

Good to see Lake Lanier collecting some water:

__________________
"What's his offense?"
"Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-08-18 at 11:33 AM.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:41 AM   #2
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,361
Default

Praying to the fishy gods this summer doesn't get torched like last year.

Summer bite 17 sucked in comparison to 16
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 01:30 PM   #3
Philhutch80
Native
 
Philhutch80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The GreATL!!!
Posts: 894
Default

Looks like the Headwaters got pounded again today!!! Could be pretty epic!!! We need more tactical rain deployment up north.
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 02:38 PM   #4
natureman
Native
 
natureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cumming
Posts: 853
Default

Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at possibly more frequent and longer water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to. Having too much water in Lanier has its own negative consequences. It is near impossible to manage lake levels to hit that sweet spot where most everyone is happy.

Last edited by natureman; 02-07-18 at 02:45 PM.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 02:40 PM   #5
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member
 
Trout8myfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 6,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at significantly more water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to.
Yes, it's good news, bad news. The good news is that a full Lake Lanier gnerally means the headwaters and feeder streams are doing well. The bad news...here comes the flood!
__________________
"What's his offense?"
"Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 03:14 PM   #6
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame
 
baldea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Smynings
Posts: 5,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at possibly more frequent and longer water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to. Having too much water in Lanier has its own negative consequences. It is near impossible to manage lake levels to hit that sweet spot where most everyone is happy.
Iíll take too much water as good news all around. Maybe a few extra releases or a couple weeks of the Hooch ripping will remove some of the silt and extra weeds that have grown in south of Morgan Falls.
__________________
I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!


baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 07:02 AM   #7
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at possibly more frequent and longer water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to. Having too much water in Lanier has its own negative consequences. It is near impossible to manage lake levels to hit that sweet spot where most everyone is happy.
That's actually the whole reason I am happy.

Big, long releases of gin clear water in the summer grows the trout better.

Finished at .66 feet up for the day yesterday.
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 08:56 AM   #8
natureman
Native
 
natureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cumming
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
That's actually the whole reason I am happy.

Big, long releases of gin clear water in the summer grows the trout better.

Finished at .66 feet up for the day yesterday.
On the down side when we go from a drought year to an over abundance of rain the is a correlation between increased water releases and the number of fatalities on the river. Mainly due to those unfamiliar with river conditions and the fact that it can change year to year. Also the sheer number of people recreating on the river and many for the first time due to rapid population growth. River safety is something the Corps has always wrestled with and has tried every information conduit available with limited success. Closer to the dam they are effective due to having a presence there but, further downstream not so much.

Last edited by natureman; 02-08-18 at 10:59 AM.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 11:17 AM   #9
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame
 
browniez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton Mill
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
On the down side when we go from a drought year to an over abundance of rain the is a correlation between increased water releases and the number of fatalities on the river. Mainly due to those unfamiliar with river conditions and the fact that it can change year to year. Also the sheer number of people recreating on the river and many for the first time due to rapid population growth. River safety is something the Corps has always wrestled with and has tried every information conduit available with limited success. Closer to the dam they are effective due to having a presence there but, further downstream not so much.

Agreed!

You can't fix stupid though. I can't put a kid drowning after jumping off a 40 foot bridge into a 13k cfs flow on the Corps. Society seems too though.

I've noticed the people who get in trouble on high flows seem to think they aren't dangerous.

They are exceedingly dangerous, and you have to respect that and understand that in order to be safe.

Personally I probably use the river at high flows more than anyone, and with proper precautions I do not feel any less safe on the river.

This is the only tailwater I've ever fished where high flows are so taboo. Most places they rarely fish for browns unless they're turning water.
__________________
I like em big fat and sloppy.
browniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 11:49 AM   #10
natureman
Native
 
natureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cumming
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Agreed!

You can't fix stupid though. I can't put a kid drowning after jumping off a 40 foot bridge into a 13k cfs flow on the Corps. Society seems too though.

I've noticed the people who get in trouble on high flows seem to think they aren't dangerous.

They are exceedingly dangerous, and you have to respect that and understand that in order to be safe.

Personally I probably use the river at high flows more than anyone, and with proper precautions I do not feel any less safe on the river.

This is the only tailwater I've ever fished where high flows are so taboo. Most places they rarely fish for browns unless they're turning water.
Yea, I knew you were a very experienced high flow guy and know what it takes to keep safe. Back in my park ranger days I did a lot of high flow rescue boating from the dam down to 20. No matter how many times I got on the water the initial rise was a real hair raiser. Currents are all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason and much more so with 3 units going wide open. After it settles down some it is more manageable.

Last edited by natureman; 02-08-18 at 11:56 AM.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved