NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-18, 11:19 AM   #1
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Default Lake Lanier filling - at least for now

Good to see Lake Lanier collecting some water:

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-08-18 at 11:33 AM.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:41 AM   #2
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Praying to the fishy gods this summer doesn't get torched like last year.

Summer bite 17 sucked in comparison to 16
Old 02-07-18, 01:30 PM   #3
Philhutch80
Native

Looks like the Headwaters got pounded again today!!! Could be pretty epic!!! We need more tactical rain deployment up north.
Philhutch80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 02:38 PM   #4
natureman
Native

Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at possibly more frequent and longer water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to. Having too much water in Lanier has its own negative consequences. It is near impossible to manage lake levels to hit that sweet spot where most everyone is happy.

Last edited by natureman; 02-07-18 at 02:45 PM.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 02:40 PM   #5
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at significantly more water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to.
Yes, it's good news, bad news. The good news is that a full Lake Lanier gnerally means the headwaters and feeder streams are doing well. The bad news...here comes the flood!
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 03:14 PM   #6
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Careful what you ask for. Although it has a ways to go to reach 1071, if it does so early in a wet spring, then you Hooch fishermen are looking at possibly more frequent and longer water releases from Lanier than you have gotten used to. Having too much water in Lanier has its own negative consequences. It is near impossible to manage lake levels to hit that sweet spot where most everyone is happy.
Iíll take too much water as good news all around. Maybe a few extra releases or a couple weeks of the Hooch ripping will remove some of the silt and extra weeds that have grown in south of Morgan Falls.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 07:02 AM   #7
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's actually the whole reason I am happy.

Big, long releases of gin clear water in the summer grows the trout better.

Finished at .66 feet up for the day yesterday.
Old 02-08-18, 08:56 AM   #8
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
That's actually the whole reason I am happy.

Big, long releases of gin clear water in the summer grows the trout better.

Finished at .66 feet up for the day yesterday.
On the down side when we go from a drought year to an over abundance of rain the is a correlation between increased water releases and the number of fatalities on the river. Mainly due to those unfamiliar with river conditions and the fact that it can change year to year. Also the sheer number of people recreating on the river and many for the first time due to rapid population growth. River safety is something the Corps has always wrestled with and has tried every information conduit available with limited success. Closer to the dam they are effective due to having a presence there but, further downstream not so much.

Last edited by natureman; 02-08-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 11:17 AM   #9
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
On the down side when we go from a drought year to an over abundance of rain the is a correlation between increased water releases and the number of fatalities on the river. Mainly due to those unfamiliar with river conditions and the fact that it can change year to year. Also the sheer number of people recreating on the river and many for the first time due to rapid population growth. River safety is something the Corps has always wrestled with and has tried every information conduit available with limited success. Closer to the dam they are effective due to having a presence there but, further downstream not so much.

Agreed!

You can't fix stupid though. I can't put a kid drowning after jumping off a 40 foot bridge into a 13k cfs flow on the Corps. Society seems too though.

I've noticed the people who get in trouble on high flows seem to think they aren't dangerous.

They are exceedingly dangerous, and you have to respect that and understand that in order to be safe.

Personally I probably use the river at high flows more than anyone, and with proper precautions I do not feel any less safe on the river.

This is the only tailwater I've ever fished where high flows are so taboo. Most places they rarely fish for browns unless they're turning water.
Old 02-08-18, 11:49 AM   #10
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Agreed!

You can't fix stupid though. I can't put a kid drowning after jumping off a 40 foot bridge into a 13k cfs flow on the Corps. Society seems too though.

I've noticed the people who get in trouble on high flows seem to think they aren't dangerous.

They are exceedingly dangerous, and you have to respect that and understand that in order to be safe.

Personally I probably use the river at high flows more than anyone, and with proper precautions I do not feel any less safe on the river.

This is the only tailwater I've ever fished where high flows are so taboo. Most places they rarely fish for browns unless they're turning water.
Yea, I knew you were a very experienced high flow guy and know what it takes to keep safe. Back in my park ranger days I did a lot of high flow rescue boating from the dam down to 20. No matter how many times I got on the water the initial rise was a real hair raiser. Currents are all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason and much more so with 3 units going wide open. After it settles down some it is more manageable.

Last edited by natureman; 02-08-18 at 11:56 AM.