NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-18, 06:07 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Bloopers reel

In the throes of all our bragging and slight exaggeration about our fish, I was wondering if anyone cared to share a few stream/river bloopers.

One (of the many) of mine happened last week. I was midstream, in moderately fast water. I was netting a small brown and he threw the hook. Well somehow the hook ended up catching the back of my vest. Rod under the arm, tip bending, line tangling among the zippers, trying to release the fish and after the release the net catches the current, ends up with the cord between my legs while I'm twisting around in the water trying to free myself. I'm sure I looked like a dog chasing his tail.

#blooper_reel
#AFV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 08:16 PM   #2
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
In the throes of all our bragging and slight exaggeration about our fish, I was wondering if anyone cared to share a few stream/river bloopers.

One (of the many) of mine happened last week. I was midstream, in moderately fast water. I was netting a small brown and he threw the hook. Well somehow the hook ended up catching the back of my vest. Rod under the arm, tip bending, line tangling among the zippers, trying to release the fish and after the release the net catches the current, ends up with the cord between my legs while I'm twisting around in the water trying to free myself. I'm sure I looked like a dog chasing his tail.

#blooper_reel
#AFV

I've had a few:
1) I hooked a fish at paces in the dh after having not gotten bit in a couple hours. I was not ready and it started running toward me before I could get a hold of my line. In order to keep tension, I take a few steps back and my heel catches on the only rock in an otherwise pebble filled bottom. My impeccable balance takes over and fifteen steps later I've stumbled my way to a good spot and resume reeling in a 10" trophy bow.
2) on a blue line one time I was trying to navigate up a tightly enclosed very fast run in high water. I put weight on my foot that was ankle deep and immediately slipped. Water was moving so fast that it pulled my entire body in and I'm neck deep in a mountain stream on a cold day hanging on with my elbows with my fly still prepared for a bow and arrow cast.
Old 02-07-18, 08:54 PM   #3
Streamside Sam
Native

At least 2 or 3 times I’ve looked up to see my rod floating quickly downstream while I was kneeled down admiring a wild bow, resulting in a mad dash to fetch it, including going airborne to dive after it. One of those times, I could only grab the rod near the tip, resulting in a break. Speaking of which, I’ve had several comical rod breaks, including getting fully geared up and within seconds of walking to the water, only to have a really strong gust of wind slam the door on my 2-wt. I’ve been known to scale small streamside trees to fetch squirmies, climb waterfalls, and slide butt-down on mud to a stream way below. I once caught a wild bow, safely unhooked it, but it fell in a little muddy 18” deep hole away from the main flow. As I felt that was a death sentence, I wasn’t quite sure how to get it out. I ended up getting down on all 4’s and just splashing most all of the water out of the hold so I could grab it and return it to the main flow. Anybody walking by on the nearby trail would have though I was mental. Lol. And, of course, the Hooch tailwater is perfect for comical episodes. My falls there haven’t been so much slipping as turning to walk and tripping on a huge rock I never saw. I average a fall like that ~50% of the time at certain sections, and I’ve ruined a few phones as a result. My standard gear now includes a change of clothes for wherever I fish, as I’m bad about getting so focused on fishing that I end up in a bad spot, and end up wading too deep, or having to dog paddle a little to get back to safety. I always feared having my fly box float downstream, but somehow that’s never happened, and now I even lash that with mono to my chest pack.
Old 02-07-18, 09:33 PM   #4
JerryG
Native

I have no shortage of bloopers. Add a boat to the mix and your potential for folly increases exponentially. Losing lures in trees...going back the next weekend with a polelimber to get them back, going down shakerag backwards (the wrong direction), or fighting a big striper on Lanier and trying to reposition the boat only to realize the trolling motor prop was gone.

Getting towed back to the ramp,...picking up broke down buddies downstream... its all part of the fun!
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:34 PM   #5
Sighter
Native (Formerly known as DoubleRainbow)

Biggest blooper was during my beginning year of fly fishing I accidentally hooked my gf in the shirt/shoulder on my backcast. I probably wouldn't be here if I had been using barbed hooks haha. In my defense, she crept up behind me trying to get an action shot with her DSLR
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:48 PM   #6
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Biggest blooper was during my beginning year of fly fishing I accidentally hooked my gf in the shirt/shoulder on my backcast. I probably wouldn't be here if I had been using barbed hooks haha. In my defense, she crept up behind me trying to get an action shot with her DSLR

Daaaaaaaang
That is bad!
All great stories

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:02 PM   #7
erikclymore
Native

Early on I had a bad habit of imbedding a fly deeply in my fro more often than I care to admit. It would take a solid 5+ minutes to get it untangled enough to rip out.
I’ve since learned to not step streamside without a cap of some sort.
Back when spin fishing from my kayak I cast out the top half of my rod more than once because I was to cheap to retire the worn out hand me down.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:11 PM   #8
I_got_skunked
Native

Forgot one.
3) third or fourth time out, got a tangle caught in the rod tip. Hold the rod in the middle to get the tangle out and when I finally get it out, I realize the bottom section of my rod has fallen off and my reel didn't have any drag on. If I pulled line really quickly, I'd make up ground faster than the drag would let it out. Only time I've been into my backing...
Old 02-08-18, 09:52 AM   #9
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Michigan Swim

Back in the last century I was smallmouth fishing with friends in Lake Michigan, way up near the Straits. It was mid-June, the water was very cold, and the fishing was great! I was using spin tackle and a borrowed pair of old Red Ball boot foot waders. I had gotten deep enough that I was hopping from rock to rock and barely keeping the top of the chest waders above the water line. Off to the last rock I could reach and hooked a nice smallmouth.

While playing the bass, I neglected to notice a freighter off shore and it was out of sight long before the wake arrived. Yep. Washed me right off my rock and with no wading belt I was under water. Pulled the straps down, kicked out of the waders and swam/walked to shore. I managed to keep the fish hooked and actually landed it!

As mentioned, they were borrowed waders so I was obligated to retrieve them. Swam back out, found the waders and emptied them out on the beach. By now I am near hypothermia so I got some driftwood, built a fire and stripped to my underwear and proceeded to dry out my clothes. Yes, a public beach but it beat freezing to death!
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 10:59 AM   #10
raptor
Native

Many, many years ago during a trip to Yellowstone with my family which included my young sons. I decided I was going to teach them how to cast a fly rod. Unfortunately, it was very windy on the stream near Roosevelt Lodge. As, I was talking and demonstrating a gust of wind placed the fly in my earlobe. This was a fairly large hopper fly with a barb. Of course I had to cut the tippet and walk back to wife for help in cutting off the barb to remove the fly. She laughed so hard at my new "ear ring" that she couldn't complete the task for quite a while. Kids got a good laugh as well..
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote