NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-18, 05:58 PM   #1
richf7
Native

Default GA Secondary Trout Streams

The state defines a secondary trout stream as "streams with no evidence of natural trout reproduction but capable of supporting trout throughout the year."

There are a number of these streams not far from my home in Cherokee Co. Does anyone know if they actually contain trout?

1. Bluff Creek watershed upstream from Cherokee County Road 114.
2. Boston Creek watershed.
3. Murphy Creek watershed.
4. Pine Log Creek watershed.
5. Salacoa Creek watershed.
6. Soap Creek watershed upstream from Cherokee County Road 116.
7. Stamp Creek watershed.
8. Wiley Creek watershed.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 06:11 PM   #2
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
The state defines a secondary trout stream as "streams with no evidence of natural trout reproduction but capable of supporting trout throughout the year."

There are a number of these streams not far from my home in Cherokee Co. Does anyone know if they actually contain trout?

1. Bluff Creek watershed upstream from Cherokee County Road 114.
2. Boston Creek watershed.
3. Murphy Creek watershed.
4. Pine Log Creek watershed.
5. Salacoa Creek watershed.
6. Soap Creek watershed upstream from Cherokee County Road 116.
7. Stamp Creek watershed.
8. Wiley Creek watershed.
I've gone up a ways on Boston and Stamp, you will not find trout except for the portion of stamp by pine log wma where they stock it. I normally catch spots in those two creeks. As for the other places you mentioned I don't know but you should venture out and see what you find! Last time I was on Stamp this past November I forgot about hunters and came across one with a rifle, I quickly announced my presence and walked back to my truck as I was not wearing orange!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 06:31 PM   #3
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

It's not likely. If there were rainbows, you'd catch some small ones down around where the access is easy. In theory, you could find a rogue population of brookies way up in the headwaters of a secondary trout stream. Practically speaking though, there's pretty much no way...

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 07:22 PM   #4
richf7
Native

Thanks guys.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 08:51 PM   #5
buckman1
Native

In my estimation, those streams today would be strictly hatchery supported. Who knows, maybe a token trout carries over but I'd think that's the exception. I would be more open to the quality of those creeks before logging and development silted everything in? Perhaps they were more legit back in the day?
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:12 PM   #6
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Any thoughts that perhaps since these are devoid of stockers they may be candidates, in the extreme headwaters, for purr strain SABT reintroduction?

For that matter can we please get something going in GA to rival what TN is doing to return these fish?
Old 01-31-18, 09:31 PM   #7
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Any thoughts that perhaps since these are devoid of stockers they may be candidates, in the extreme headwaters, for purr strain SABT reintroduction?

For that matter can we please get something going in GA to rival what TN is doing to return these fish?
Back in college I was developing a GIS model to predict potential brookie reintroduction success based on elevation and drainage size. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to devote to it, and it's all gone now. That being said, I think there are drainages w/o trout that could support brookies, but they are only mediocre candidates for reintroduction, so I would be shocked if you got the state or feds to waste resources trying...

Old 01-31-18, 09:53 PM   #8
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post

There are some outstanding candidate streams on the two most northern tracts of Dawson Forest, over 2,000 ft elevation.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:55 PM   #9
splatek16

I know at least two streams that are fishless that are really good candidates, as well. Would be a neat experiment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 10:05 PM   #10
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

I know of a few near Tallulah Falls that I've always felt should have brookies. I wish we lived in a world where a bunch of conservation minded anglers and some researchers could work together to make it happen. Unfortunately, the feds would have an absolute conniption fit