NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-18, 04:02 PM   #1
split shot
Native

Default Smith Creek

Thinking about heading up to fish the Smith Creek DH next weekend. Iíve never fished this stream so I was wondering about the size and depth of the stream as well as structures or patterns to fish. Any advice would help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
split shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 05:19 PM   #2
StayFly
Stocker

I was up there towards the end of January and had a great time fishing 0.5+ miles downstream from the dam. I had luck with size 16-20 hares ears, black stone flies, and zebra midges. I used 1 to 2 split shot to get the flies to depth.

StayFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 05:58 PM   #3
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Hey Ben! I'm pretty sure I met you at the stream restoration at #!%#+=~%\ Creek a summer or two ago.

In terms of size, smiths on average is about 7-10 feet wide and the depth is fairly shallow... although there are deep pools. Basically there are only 2-3 spots where the water is deep enough for you to worry about water getting into your waders. Also, don't be shy to add some weight as already mentioned above.

Structure is abundant there and smiths/DNR added some more access points and structure recently which was a pleasant find. Since the water is relatively short in width it's pretty obvious where you'd find the trout. The hard part is not spooking them and also adjusting your cast or hook set to avoid the overhanging branches. I personally use the bow and arrow cast a lot there.

Patterns are pretty varied. I'd honestly say go with your confidence flies and if those don't work, change weight first before the flies itself. If that doesn't work then change out one of the flies to the exact opposite "type" of fly until you find what works well (think natural imitation vs junk fly, large fly vs small fly, soft hackle vs no soft hackle, etc.) my go to flies there are a heavy glo bug on bottom and a hot spot walts worm.

Don't forget to check in at the lodge after you pass the Dam to get a 5 dollar parking pass unless you have the annual states pass.

Hope this helps and am looking forward to a successful report in the future.

- Sighter

Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 06:42 PM   #4
buckman1
Native

I've had good luck with GR Hares Ear and Peach Eggs on Smiths. Don't overlook the egg, it works!
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 06:43 PM   #5
split shot
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Hey Ben! I'm pretty sure I met you at the stream restoration at #!%#+=~%\ Creek a summer or two ago.

In terms of size, smiths on average is about 7-10 feet wide and the depth is fairly shallow... although there are deep pools. Basically there are only 2-3 spots where the water is deep enough for you to worry about water getting into your waders. Also, don't be shy to add some weight as already mentioned above.

Structure is abundant there and smiths/DNR added some more access points and structure recently which was a pleasant find. Since the water is relatively short in width it's pretty obvious where you'd find the trout. The hard part is not spooking them and also adjusting your cast or hook set to avoid the overhanging branches. I personally use the bow and arrow cast a lot there.

Patterns are pretty varied. I'd honestly say go with your confidence flies and if those don't work, change weight first before the flies itself. If that doesn't work then change out one of the flies to the exact opposite "type" of fly until you find what works well (think natural imitation vs junk fly, large fly vs small fly, soft hackle vs no soft hackle, etc.) my go to flies there are a heavy glo bug on bottom and a hot spot walts worm.

Don't forget to check in at the lodge after you pass the Dam to get a 5 dollar parking pass unless you have the annual states pass.

Hope this helps and am looking forward to a successful report in the future.

- Sighter

I remember #$&@/%^* creek. Good times. Thank you for the advice I look forward to trying it in the near future!

split shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 09:49 PM   #6
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Fished Smith several times over the past few weeks, with pretty good success most of the time. Dredging bottom with all sorts of beaded junk flies, with extra weight if necessary to get them down worked for me. I used a strike indicator most of the time, but also I euro nymphed some, with success both ways. My buddy had good success dry dropping. I probably caught most on hot pink squirmies and green squirmies. Also, caught a bunch on white eggs and green eggs. Caught a few on a green weenie, girdle bug, black wooly, red sucker spawn, yellow and orange sucker spawn, and tan mop. Caught some on copper johns and hares ears. So, caught some on just about everything I threw at them, but again squirmies and eggs fished deep were the most productive. I believe most of the flies that worked were either size 14 or 16, except the girdle bug and wooly buggers were larger. Good luck.

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 02-11-18 at 09:53 PM. Reason: to clarify
HILLIS LANIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 11:33 PM   #7
Lumis
Native

Sounds like they ate everything you threw! I'm taking notes.

Now that i think about it, do beginner friendly flies exist? This may be a dumb question.
Lumis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 07:48 AM   #8
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf_74 View Post
Thinking about heading up to fish the Smith Creek DH next weekend. Iíve never fished this stream so I was wondering about the size and depth of the stream as well as structures or patterns to fish. Any advice would help!

Smiths is one of the most fun places to fish: small stream feel, big fish tug! You will have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post

Yeah, don't get a ticket! And I agree with all the patterns; you can euro Smith, but I think a dry-drop rig might also be optimal given the warmer weather that's creeping in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
I've had good luck with GR Hares Ear and Peach Eggs on Smiths. Don't overlook the egg, it works!
I concur; especially with stocked fish; the only thing I might add here is vary the color if they aren't taking peach. For whatever reason, I've never caught a fish on peach egg, but have on red, orange, and pink! I mean, that just doesn't make sense....

Also, last DH season, I had some of the most aggressive strikes on a yellow and orange and a pink and red Y2K - One fish hit so hard it just bit right through my tippet....
I also like a pheasant tail, frenchie - I've had great success (last year) with that fly just dead drifting right into their noses.

Since Smith is fishing well it means there has been a fair bit of pressure up there; don't be afraid to add a little life to your flies. Dance a stone, wiggle a worm, entice a bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
Sounds like they ate everything you threw! I'm taking notes.

Now that i think about it, do beginner friendly flies exist? This may be a dumb question.
I'll let others chime in about "good beginners flies" but will say that I DO NOT think midges are good beginner flies. The fish will certainly eat the heck out of them, but the hook being so small means that setting it becomes difficult. I am still struggling with midge sets.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 01:14 PM   #9
trout1980
Native

Don't overlook San Juan worm patterns for DH fish as well
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 04:57 PM   #10
Lumis
Native

I too plan on going to smith soon. Followed some advice from all Smith posts I found and bought a few flies.

https://m.imgur.com/a/WTVuj

Hopefully enough to catch my first trout or two on the fly.
Lumis is online now   Reply With Quote