NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-18, 06:11 PM   #11
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

Thanks for the update. Sounds like this will have a direct impact on my plans.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:26 PM   #12
Dtroutmann
Native

Good luck, actually getting one, they are backordered for over 12 months

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 10:20 PM   #13
UncleJesse
Native

A guy I know from another BB made rod holders out of pvc pipe and fashioned them to look like missiles. Red bullet noses and fins, they look cool and worked for a trip from Ohio to Idaho and back.
Old 02-18-18, 08:48 AM   #14
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwolek1971 View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on a car top carrier for my fly rods?
Yes, DO NOT BUY A FLY ROD VAULT UNLESS YOU WANT BROKEN TIPS!!! You will break rod tips. They are a very poor design. Check out the Big Sky Fly Rod Box. Itís all metal construction with a hinges top and foam on the inside everywhere to protect your investments. Made of metal but still light enough to take on and off of a vehicle.
http://www.flyrodbox.com
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 09:01 AM   #15
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Yes, DO NOT BUY A FLY ROD VAULT UNLESS YOU WANT BROKEN TIPS!!! You will break rod tips. They are a very poor design. Check out the Big Sky Fly Rod Box. Itís all metal construction with a hinges top and foam on the inside everywhere to protect your investments. Made of metal but still light enough to take on and off of a vehicle.
http://www.flyrodbox.com
What about the design do you not like? I will admit, I have broken one rod tip in my rod box, but it was entirely my own fault when it happened. As I was pulling the rod from the vault, I had about the last foot still in the vault when I dropped the rod, cleanly snapping the last foot of of the rod. However I can't blame the design for this. What about the design haven't you liked?

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 11:08 AM   #16
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrulewax View Post
What about the design do you not like? I will admit, I have broken one rod tip in my rod box, but it was entirely my own fault when it happened. As I was pulling the rod from the vault, I had about the last foot still in the vault when I dropped the rod, cleanly snapping the last foot of of the rod. However I can't blame the design for this. What about the design haven't you liked?
Itís a bad design and you found out the hard way. Many many anglers in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming reiterated the same story and they got rid of theirs for that reason. Thereís really no logical argument if you have hundreds or thousands of dollars in a fly fishing setup and you have to be aware of this issue every time you use it. You literally have zero control over the length of the rod while extracting it and if itís a sectional rod a piece can also get stuck in their which takes time away from fishing. More cons than pros all around.
Plus the construction and design features are more thought out and more robust on the Big Sky Box. Itís just more secure.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 04:53 PM   #17
KeithO
Native

I had a Titan rod vault for three years and absolutely loved it (sold it when I bought an SUV). I kept striper rods rigged up in it and never had an issue. Some people claim that they get hot inside if you leave your rods in them with your car sitting in the sun. I tested this by putting a thermometer in the tube and closing it up for an hour and it did not get significantly hotter than the outside temp. I highly would recommend it if you fish a lot; beats the heck out of having to constantly break down rods and re-rig all the time. If you leave your rods rigged there is no way you can lose a section inside the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeithO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 07:52 PM   #18
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
You literally have zero control over the length of the rod while extracting it

I mean, the grip/reel is in your hand the whole time right?

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 08:33 PM   #19
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
I mean, the grip/reel is in your hand the whole time right?

My thoughts exactly. I have fished out of mine for about a year now (bought KeithO's above) and had it on some very bumpy roads and have had no problems except a personal fault. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I did have a buddy that guides in Montana whose brackets eventually stripped and caused the vault to come halfway off his roof. His rods were fine, but he will have to order new brackets.... Keep in mind, this is after like 5 years of use and daily drives down rutted western roads.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 08:58 PM   #20
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

*Takes one look at the price*
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote