NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-18, 10:07 PM   #1
Alexander.Foti
Native

Default Guide Recommendations Bozeman September Timeframe

A buddy and I are headed to Montana flying into Bozeman and targeting Sept timeframe. Can you all please provide guide recommendations?

I tried to go through some of the old post and did see one for Joe Moore Big Sky Anglers...

Others would be appreciated!

Also we are planning to float 2 days and basically ask the guide to take us wherever is fishing best...hopefully that is a wise plan.

Any other thoughts on places to eat or specific spots to fish on a 2-3 day trip would be appreciated! I am a first timer out there so if there is a not to miss river for that timeframe that would be great to know.

Thank you!
Old 02-20-18, 11:33 PM   #2
Junk Fly
Native

Joe and the guys at BSA are great, but they're primarily based out of West Yellowstone. There are too many good guides in Bozeman to really justify hiring someone that's 90 miles away. Montana Troutfitters is probably my favorite shop in Bozeman and their guides are good. I've used Gallatin River Guides in Big Sky as well and they're awesome.

If it were me and you wanted the full experience, hire someone in Bozeman/Big Sky and float the Madison one day and the Yellowstone another. Two totally different rivers and both should fish well in September. Hopper fishing on the Yellowstone especially ought to be really good, and the Paradise Valley is the prettiest place I've ever laid eyes on. The Gallatin south of Bozeman is super consistent and accessible as a wade spot. Tons of willing fish and easy on the eyes. The Madison around Ennis isn't far from you either and September is oftentimes the best month to wade fish in the Braids upstream of the lake.

Oh, and eat at the Roost in Bozeman. It's basically the Southern embassy in Montana

Team USA Youth/Team Dead Drift
Junk Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 06:59 AM   #3
Alexander.Foti
Native

Sounds like great advise thank you!
Old 02-21-18, 07:59 AM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

You might want to see if Dave Corcoran is still guiding out of Bozeman. I used him quite a few years back and he was great!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:06 AM   #5
narcodog
Native

Are you gonna stay in Bozeman?
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 11:35 AM   #6
cane and cork
Stocker

Call Cam Coffin, owner of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. If it's not too late, try to get Doug Pope...the man is a legend and the best guy you can spend a day with on the rivers!
cane and cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 12:21 PM   #7
Alexander.Foti
Native

We havenít figured out where we are staying yet. Just was planning to fly in to bozeman and was going to ask the guides best place to stay for easy pick up
Old 02-21-18, 04:29 PM   #8
narcodog
Native

I asked the question about where you were going to stay. It's an 80 mile trip from West Yellowstone to Bozeman along a two lane road a long the river. So you would not IMO want to get a Bozeman guide or even one from four corners, ( Belgrade) which is west of Bozeman.

To get to The Lamar or that side of the Park it's a long drive. To fish the Yellowstone in Livingston I think it's about an hours drive. From Bozeman to Ennis it's about and hour. Then the Ruby is about an hour.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 04:58 PM   #9
Philhutch80
Native

Go up to Galloup's Slide Inn if you are not staying in Bozeman. His spot is directly on the Upper Madison and the fishing is just ridiculous. I spent five months in Montana for work and spent A LOT of time exploring.
If you stay around Bozeman, check out the River's Edge. Guy that works there named Luke. Heck of a fisherman and took me out on the Yellowstone with great success!!!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 06:59 PM   #10
bluesky
Native

Ok. The west yellowstone area is great. The Madison the park the Gallatin and the Henry fork

I love big sky anglers. They have a number of good guides . They also have access to the Henry fork which is a special place and just outside west yellowstone

Now you may want to hit the Missouri in Craig area. About an hour and a half north of bozeman. That river is the best in Montana in my view. If you go there try and get Greg Falls. He is the best guide just incredible. You will get tired of catching big fish. I have fished with Greg a number of times and referred friends there. All say he is the best.

The Missouri has so many big fish it is sick
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote