NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-18, 11:25 PM   #1
Bruceja
Stocker

Default Upper MTC come hell Or high water

Well I have decided that I am going to get to upper mountain town creek just about hills lake if itís the last thing I do. I used my brother in laws account earlier to ask a question about upper mountain town creek because my account wasnít active yet. But Iím going in March. I AM GOING TO FIND A WAY. I have to get back here in honor of my dad who helped put these structures in. He is better suited for easier fishing with less hiking these days and I want to fish where he fished 20 years ago! Any help appreciated but if not....Iíll let you know if I made it in and out!!
Bruceja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 03:08 PM   #2
Bruceja
Stocker

Got a date! March 17th... if yall hear from me it will be because I got there Found it, Fished it, and made it back. If you don't hear from me ill still be looking!
Old 02-21-18, 03:30 PM   #3
random_lengths
Native

Get the Chattachoochee NF map or the Dyer Gap USGS quad. Park on a public road (county or FS). Navigate cross country - MAKING SURE TO STAY ON FS LAND - using map and compass or GPS. As long as you stay off private land you'll be fine. Your Dad would be proud.
random_lengths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 04:11 PM   #4
Upstream
Native

Bruceja,
Are you also pacollier? Because I just sent a PM to hat user from a few posts below?
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 04:27 PM   #5
Bruceja
Stocker

He is my brother in law. I used his account because my accounts by was messed up. I am pretty sure he forwarded me that email
Old 02-21-18, 05:01 PM   #6
mudrun
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceja View Post
Got a date! March 17th... if yall hear from me it will be because I got there Found it, Fished it, and made it back. If you don't hear from me ill still be looking!
Happy Saint Patricks Day! Sasquatch will be in town picking up some corned beef and Guinness, one less thing to worry about.

Good luck!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:10 PM   #7
I_got_skunked
Native

Have fun!! Sounds like you got the PMs. Nat Geo 777 map would be handy to have with you. If BIL is going to tag along, you have a great opportunity to use two cars and have a really fun mostly downhill hike.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 09:14 PM   #8
Bruceja
Stocker

Awesome! Thanks! I also just realized That I can download the area on google maps and save it for offline/no service areas and itís a Topo map!
Old 02-21-18, 11:19 PM   #9
Znorton
Stocker

Local yokel here from Gilmer County. I've always wanted to fish upper MountainTown. Would love to hear a report. It looks to me like you could park at the Bear Creek Campground where BC flows into MT and hike upstream on the left side of the creek until you get close to the lake. Private property around the lake, but the ridge on the left side of the creek is only 1,900ft compared to 1,600 at the lake. If you went over the top of the ridge it'd only be 0.9 mile hike from parking lot to the creek upstream of Hills Lake. Other option would be staying left on the FS road that accesses Bear Creek Campground, follow it 'til it ends, and head due east over one ridge (2,000 ft.) and down the other side. That way is actually shorter at about 0.6mi, but probably going to be a lot more trailblazing. The only other legitimate option, IMO, would be to take the Pinhotti trail south from Buddy Cove Gap on FS64. That trail is mostly downhill and follows Crenshaw Branch to its confluence with Heddy Creek where they form MTC. Best I can tell its roughly 4miles from Buddy Cove Gap to the confluence. From the confluence, it's 2.5 creek miles downstream to Hills Lake.

I'm curious as to how big the creek is from Hills Lake to the confluence. Also curious as to when the lake was created, and how it changed the fisheries both upstream and downstream.
I don't know if you've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but caltopo.com is another option for mapping besides Google.

Tight lines!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (22.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (20.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by THE EG; 02-22-18 at 10:35 AM.
Znorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 11:24 PM   #10
Bruceja
Stocker

Thatís awesome man!!! Thanks a ton I will definitely report