NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-18, 08:23 PM   #1
Jakkbauer
Native

Default How to teach a proper net job?

I consider myself an excellent net man. I do not consider myself an EXPERT net man. The reason is because I fail to grasp the words or wisdom to impart this skill unto another.

I net fish for work, I net fish for play. At work I make a game to see if I can get all the fish in one fell swoop. Over time I have learned to anticipate the movements of whatever fish I am trying to net whether it is on a line or not. Nobody taught me, and I just instinctively know how to go about the proper angles and whatnot of netting these things. It all happens so fast and is so instinctive in the moment that I fail to find the words to explain this to another.

The reason I am asking is that a few days ago I had on a large rainbow on a 4wt while I was teaching my girl to catch fish. She had caught a few, her first trouts, and I was feeling froggy. I hollered at her to come over and tossed her the net and said go net that thing for me. I thought it would be fun, couple goals, thats a thing right? Well, let me tell you... She proceeded to get into almost every wrong direction and lets just say it wasnt pretty. I broke the 5x and fish was gone, she started to chase him for just a second which was pretty funny looking back. At the time she asked me what she could have done better and I just couldnt figure out what to say lol. (Not related but the day before this she had a 6 or 7lb bass jump over her head in the yak and spit the senko which was also hilarious and sad )

Anyways, any help from another angler who has had to teach someone how to net fish would be great

Jakk

Last edited by Jakkbauer; 02-25-18 at 12:00 PM.
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 08:03 AM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Hemmingway

Earnest Hemmingway was a fabulous author but he was unable to teach anyone how to be a writer. There are some things at which an individual has tremendous innate skills but struggles trying to pass it on. Personally, I think the best teachers of any subject are those who had to work very hard to learn it themselves.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 09:12 AM   #3
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Earnest Hemmingway was a fabulous author but he was unable to teach anyone how to be a writer. There are some things at which an individual has tremendous innate skills but struggles trying to pass it on. Personally, I think the best teachers of any subject are those who had to work very hard to learn it themselves.
I agree with that. Hard to teach when you didn't have to have step by step revalations that you can provide as examples.

For now I have managed a crude diagram that helped her to understand at least the positioning aspect.

If you imagine a circle around the angler, the fish on the line is the diameter. Determine the radius and stay outside of that. In other words, keep the fish between you and the angler. Let the angler position the head and move left or right depending. Stay patiently on the outside of the radius and let the angler guide the fish to your position only moving thoughtfully anticipating the fish to be spooked.

So far this is what I've come up with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-18, 09:38 AM   #4
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

It's all feel baby, all feel.

The things I think are most often missed:

#1 Have a big enough net.
#2 Do not try to scoop them from behind.
#3 One quick stab and lift. Don't try to slowly scoop them.
#4 Make sure that fish is ready to net.
#5 Don't go for them if you can sense them tensing up.
#6 If you miss the first time, don't chase them. You can't make up ground. Just reset and hit it again on the next turn.
#7 DO NOT try to pull a bigger fishes head out of the water and lead him to the net trout style. All you will do it make him headshake, and losing a fish to a headshake or hook that is hung up in the netting from a headshake is torture.
Old 02-22-18, 11:15 AM   #5
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Jakkbaur

Love the diagram! That one picture speaks volumes as to positioning the netter, then add the words of Browniez and it's about 99% there! The only thing I would add is don't try to chase the fish. Just spooks the fish and it's a good way to earn yourself a slip-slam. --jk--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 06:57 PM   #6
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
It's all feel baby, all feel.

The things I think are most often missed:

#1 Have a big enough net.
#2 Do not try to scoop them from behind.
#3 One quick stab and lift. Don't try to slowly scoop them.
#4 Make sure that fish is ready to net.
#5 Don't go for them if you can sense them tensing up.
#6 If you miss the first time, don't chase them. You can't make up ground. Just reset and hit it again on the next turn.
#7 DO NOT try to pull a bigger fishes head out of the water and lead him to the net trout style. All you will do it make him headshake, and losing a fish to a headshake or hook that is hung up in the netting from a headshake is torture.
Thanks man, all great points especially #6. So important to let the netter know its OK to let it swim back out and go for it again. This would have solved my issue specifically. The stab and lift is excellent wording as well. Just what I was looking for.

Old 02-22-18, 06:58 PM   #7
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Love the diagram! That one picture speaks volumes as to positioning the netter, then add the words of Browniez and it's about 99% there! The only thing I would add is don't try to chase the fish. Just spooks the fish and it's a good way to earn yourself a slip-slam. --jk--
Haha thanks man. I think you are right, this combo is a great start for someone looking to learn how to net fish!

Old 02-22-18, 07:22 PM   #8
JerryG
Native

I can't really add anything that Alex hasn't already said, but I'll stress the importance of a big net if you're fishing somewhere with even a remote chance of hooking into a big un.

Been there. Never again. Not worth the heartache.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 10:19 PM   #9
UncleJesse
Native

Something I may have overlooked but did not see of the utmost importance! KEEP YOUR HAND OFF THE LINE! About 35 years ago I had a friend grab my line and break off the largest crappie I have ever seen in person. A honest 3-1/2 lb. fish. I guess I should try to get over that.
Old 02-23-18, 01:36 PM   #10
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

Keep your legs together - so the fish can't swim between them.
Don't ask me how I know this lovely tidbit? ::: Mumbling ::: wrapped the line around my leg twice and then broke me off.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote