NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-18, 04:00 PM   #11
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I need new glasses or contacts......I thought this thread was going to be about me.
Instead of "How to teach a proper net job?"
I read "How to teach a proper NUT JOB?"

Oh well, back to my hole. I only get out every once in a while.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 06:38 AM   #12
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Something I may have overlooked but did not see of the utmost importance! KEEP YOUR HAND OFF THE LINE! About 35 years ago I had a friend grab my line and break off the largest crappie I have ever seen in person. A honest 3-1/2 lb. fish. I guess I should try to get over that.
Oh man that made me chuckle that you are still salty about that crappie. I would be too!

So far I've seen lots of great do's some great dont's. Words like torture and heartache have been used and stories shared of lost big ones. It's serious stuff this fishing game we play with our hearts on the line just as much as any fly or lure

Thanks for all the wisdom my friends =)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 10:13 AM   #13
Dylar
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
It's all feel baby, all feel.

The things I think are most often missed:

#1 Have a big enough net.
#2 Do not try to scoop them from behind.
#3 One quick stab and lift. Don't try to slowly scoop them.
#4 Make sure that fish is ready to net.
#5 Don't go for them if you can sense them tensing up.
#6 If you miss the first time, don't chase them. You can't make up ground. Just reset and hit it again on the next turn.
#7 DO NOT try to pull a bigger fishes head out of the water and lead him to the net trout style. All you will do it make him headshake, and losing a fish to a headshake or hook that is hung up in the netting from a headshake is torture.
Netting for others

1. First, do no harm.
2. Stay out of the @#%&#*# way
3. Talk to me Goose!
Dylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 10:32 AM   #14
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylar View Post
Netting for others

1. First, do no harm.
2. Stay out of the @#%&#*# way
3. Talk to me Goose!
THIS RIGHT HERE

Old 02-24-18, 08:35 PM   #15
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Something I may have overlooked but did not see of the utmost importance! KEEP YOUR HAND OFF THE LINE! About 35 years ago I had a friend grab my line and break off the largest crappie I have ever seen in person. A honest 3-1/2 lb. fish. I guess I should try to get over that.
This is a big one for someone who doesn't have experience netting big fish. They always want to grab the line and pull the fish in the net. That means no drag, no rod flex, just straight tension on the line. You'll break a decent fish off every time.

Trying to net too soon is a classic net man mistake, even for guys that have experience netting their own fish. As Dylar pointed out, communication is key here. The only guy that really knows if that fish is ready is the angler. The angler should be saying "ok, give it a shot when he comes back around this time", and the net guy shouldn't be trying to net the fish before that happens....

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 09:39 PM   #16
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Love this thread, netting fish is probably the most important aspect of fly fishing that doesn't get enough attention. I have nothing to add in regards to the mechanics as almost everything has already been stated (great drawing Jakk ). Something to keep in mind though is to always have the net wet before netting the fish (I find myself forgetting to do this on bluelines) and that rubber mesh protects the fish's slime coat better than nylon netting. Also the rubber snags your hooks less.. Anyone who has dealt with a barbed hook stuck in nylon mesh knows the pain haha.
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 10:37 AM   #17
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Love this thread, netting fish is probably the most important aspect of fly fishing that doesn't get enough attention. I have nothing to add in regards to the mechanics as almost everything has already been stated (great drawing Jakk ). Something to keep in mind though is to always have the net wet before netting the fish (I find myself forgetting to do this on bluelines) and that rubber mesh protects the fish's slime coat better than nylon netting. Also the rubber snags your hooks less.. Anyone who has dealt with a barbed hook stuck in nylon mesh knows the pain haha.
Getting the net wet before?? Do you have some magical way to net without dipping it in the water?? You must teach me! (just kidding I know what you mean, for those little guys where you barely have to scoop them)

Old 02-25-18, 10:43 AM   #18
Jakkbauer
Native

Here's a pretty solid net job

Old 02-25-18, 12:08 PM   #19
Stinkbait
Native

She may have known exactly what she was doing and knocked the fish off on purpose to keep you humble. Runner doesn't let me anywhere near his fish with a net. And vice versa.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 10:56 AM   #20
pbertell
Native

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVaSAlEOnb0
pbertell is offline   Reply With Quote