NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-18, 11:18 AM   #1
Philhutch80
Native

Default Chatooga River Fishing Beautifully!!!

So I was feeling the itch to get up in the mountains and fish some freestone streams. I set my sights for the Chatooga River Fly Shop first to pick up the 'flavor of the week' and met the owners. Great shop and really enjoyed their passion for the fishing as well as passing info along. Some of the happiest shop owners/ guide services I have ever met!
Made my way down to Burrell's Ford and began the hike in, going several miles up before I even wet a line. I finally got to a bend in the river with a nice upper pool and a good chute that had fast water moving quickly in the main channel and a big rock upstream that created a secondary channel coming in from river right as well as some shoal water on river left. Third cast in and BAM! Something powerful took and started pulling drag. Great feeling for sure until I realized she was heading downstream through the next rapid. I quickly adjusted and was able to swing her through the current into the eddy and work her into my waiting net!!!

I caught two other small rainbows out of this same area and then kept moving upstream looking for my first elusive Chatooga River brown. Lots of good water fished, lots of active fish feeding. They mainly wanted to window shop though.
Finally that changed though as I got even further up the main stem and in a gorgeous long run with great bottom features I got another small bow. Then it quieted down for a good 30min. I was doing my cast countdown I mandated for when I am wrapping up for the day and on my third to last cast I struck gold -er butter!!!
3/4-rd a cast upstream river left above this rock I could see and I saw a flash and then felt the tug! It was on!!! Stout fish that knew how to work the current very well as she got into faster water and was trying to use that and her body to pull drag and get off the line running downstream. It was to no avail as again I netted her!

The river was up and crystal clear the entire time. It will definitely get more visits by me in the future!!!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 01:14 PM   #2
splatek16

Dang good report!
Gorgeous fish!
Nice job.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:39 PM   #3
Lumis
Native

I assume by up, you mean upstream?
I've been to burrells ford a few times and after parking near the bridge, I've walked up a decent bit and down a little bit, but never farther than maybe a mile from the bridge.
Do they stock that far up? Are they picky eaters?
I'd like to visit again but fly fishing is definitely going to make it a tougher experience than before.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 04:19 PM   #4
Hilljiger
Native

Beautiful fish, I love fishing that river
Hilljiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 05:20 PM   #5
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post

I assume by up, you mean upstream?
I've been to burrells ford a few times and after parking near the bridge, I've walked up a decent bit and down a little bit, but never farther than maybe a mile from the bridge.
Do they stock that far up? Are they picky eaters?
I'd like to visit again but fly fishing is definitely going to make it a tougher experience than before.
I was not near the DH as personally those fish are not the challenge I desire. Upstream would be the correct direction, especially if you want a slam!
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 06:04 PM   #6
Lumis
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
I was not near the DH as personally those fish are not the challenge I desire. Upstream would be the correct direction, especially if you want a slam!
I assume you mean upstream of burrells ford nearing north Carolina. Unless I'm stupid confused

Sounds like a good hike.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 07:20 PM   #7
buckman1
Native

Good post, Phil!
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 07:50 PM   #8
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Great post, beautiful fish and pics!
Old 02-24-18, 06:55 AM   #9
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...something's screwy about that map...SC is on the East aide of the Toog up near NC border...GA shoud be on the West bank...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Last edited by Counslrman; 02-24-18 at 09:01 AM. Reason: omitted info
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 07:59 AM   #10
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Good report and nice pictures. And kudos to you for getting out there man! I have had some magical days on that river in my life.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote