NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-18, 01:16 AM   #11
baldfish
Stocker

Wouldn't mind catching a walleye. Have boat but don't know what to bring ifn yall would have me.
baldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 07:46 PM   #12
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldfish View Post
Wouldn't mind catching a walleye. Have boat but don't know what to bring ifn yall would have me.
I dont know either. Never caught a walleye, and only fished Lanier a handful of times.

Shad patterns?
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 06:28 PM   #13
Crawfish
Native

I assume kayaks r welcome?
Old 03-04-18, 08:28 PM   #14
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
I assume kayaks r welcome?
I would certainly welcome 'yaks, but it's a long paddle up river to the shoals! We've never had paddlers with us before. It's mostly small boats with outboard motors of 25HP and lower (except for when Jakal03 ran with us and had a 35HP on his stern).

I have a feeling, though, that we might not have must luck with walleyes this year. (Not that we really ever did.) The spawning run has been taking place for the past few days with the most recent full moon. We'll be hitting it on just the other side of a new moon phase and the walleyes will pretty much have finished their wild, passionate vacation from the lake.

There are other fish to be had though. Bass, sac-au-lait (that's "crappie" to y'all Georgians), yellow perch. . . possibly even a striper.

Even if the fishing is off - and it usually is pretty tough in this section - the scenery is very different from the tail water section of the 'Hooch and it is stunningly beautiful. Come check it out if you get a chance.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 04:45 PM   #15
Crawfish
Native

Im not familiar with the river to far upstream of Lula Bridge. How far up are the shoals?
Old 03-05-18, 08:20 PM   #16
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
Im not familiar with the river to far upstream of Lula Bridge. How far up are the shoals?
I would estimate about 5 miles. Launching from Belton Bridge would cut that to about 2 miles. Belton Bridge ramp, however, is a little exposed to pilfering. I haven't heard of too many problems there from folks who have parked and launched there, but it has a bit of an odd feel being right next to a main road with an open parking lot.

If you have google earth, here are the coordinates we'll be plotting:

Lula Bridge:
34 24' 54.93"N
83 42' 28.02"W

Belton Bridge Ramp:
34 26' 14.93"N
83 40' 50.91"W

Uppermost Shoals we can reach with motors:
34 27' 59.11"N
83 41' 11.20"W

Normally, I wouldn't give out exact coordinates, but it's no real secret where Lula and Belton Bridge ramps are, and a little search up the river on google earth will pretty much pinpoint where the upper shoals are at.

The upper shoals won't necessarily be our target point, but they will pretty much be the upper limit of our operations since it's difficult to navigate boynd this point with a motor and a propeller. If you decide to join us with a kayak, you'll probably be able to get a good bit further up stream if you feel like pushing it.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Old 03-05-18, 09:13 PM   #17
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Google maps says it's 6.0 miles from Lula bridge to the shoals, following the river (or as the fish swims).

Lula to Belton is 2.8 miles, so from Belton to the shoals is 3.2 miles.

Looks like a nice stretch of water. Ya'll have fun!
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:57 AM   #18
Swamp Angel
President

Okay. So I’m off by 20% and 35% respectively.

Thanks for working out the mileage for us, George. Why don’t you join us? You know I catch fish the same way you do. (Actually, you’re probably a bit better than I am.)
Old 03-06-18, 09:03 AM   #19
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Id love to join yall but for two factors:
- I dont got a floaty thingy with motor
- I will be in Wheaton MD working that day.

I wasnt trying to poke at your calculations - I was just playing with the google distance measuring doohickey.

As for catching fish....ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 03:25 PM   #20
Trouty Mouth
Native

Do you have a Mapquest address for your GPS guys? (Just to be sure I get to the right place?)
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote