NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-18, 02:22 PM   #1
Groundhog
Native

Default Pre Spawn?

Bear w/ me...

Started fly fishing for bass late last spring- stumbled upon access to a semi- private 4-5 acre healthy little pond, 5 minutes from my house ( Vinings area ) and haven't really looked back. Kicking myself for countless hours spent chasing SNIT's down at Paces/ WW when I could've been going after bucket mouth's.

Getting somewhat familiar w/ bass life cycle, feeding patterns, etc... With the recent warm weather, I've been excited for the apparent pre spawn feeding frenzy. Hit my spot yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, as well as on Wed. No strikes, no nothin'- saw a few small bass and some bluegill's in the shallows where I put my kayak in but that was it.

Threw everything in my box ( crawfish, baitfish, grim reaper, worm fly, meat whistle, etc... ) and tried very possible retrieve I could think of. I was stumped- very healthy pond w/ some big fish in it. I wore it out last summer/ fall.

Obviously, pre spawn is gonna vary across every body of water. Temp. wise, is it warm enough? When fishing pre spawn, where are you targeting the big boys preparing to do their thing? Deep or shallow? Near structure or along the banks? They more active during a certain part of the day?

Any help/ thoughts/ input is much appreciated? Side note, bugs everywhere. Not sure what was hatching but there were a lot of 'em...

Old 02-24-18, 03:16 PM   #2
JerryG
Native

Fished a similar, maybe slightly larger, pond in Crawfordville Ga this morning. Didn't get a water temp but I'd suspect its a little warmer than your spot.

Most beds were on the bank that had the morning sun, so the west bank, just about every 10 or 15 ft. I guess bigger fish havent worked there way up yet because the biggest we caught was about 3.5 lbs. Still, it was non stop action for 3 hours bouncing crawfish imitations off the bottom, as well as throwing crankbaits and sebiles around points and parallel to the bank.

Next few weeks should be primo!
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 05:42 AM   #3
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

I think a first hand recon of this pond is required to know for sure why they weren’t biting for ya.

It’s hard to say. Did you try any deeper areas or any “staging areas”? Have you ran around in your yak with a depth finder to see what’s out there structure and depth wise? Are there any deep channels or structure close to the bedding areas that they may still be hanging in and around? Were you throwing a floating line and possibly they were still down a little deeper?

If it’s a pond in the Vinings area there’s a high probability I know it and will see you there at some point. I live in that area.

Feel free to PM me as small pond locations are about as pure gold as Brookie creeks.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 07:28 AM   #4
jjbeno
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Bear w/ me...

Started fly fishing for bass late last spring- stumbled upon access to a semi- private 4-5 acre healthy little pond, 5 minutes from my house ( Vinings area ) and haven't really looked back. Kicking myself for countless hours spent chasing SNIT's down at Paces/ WW when I could've been going after bucket mouth's.

Getting somewhat familiar w/ bass life cycle, feeding patterns, etc... With the recent warm weather, I've been excited for the apparent pre spawn feeding frenzy. Hit my spot yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, as well as on Wed. No strikes, no nothin'- saw a few small bass and some bluegill's in the shallows where I put my kayak in but that was it.

Threw everything in my box ( crawfish, baitfish, grim reaper, worm fly, meat whistle, etc... ) and tried very possible retrieve I could think of. I was stumped- very healthy pond w/ some big fish in it. I wore it out last summer/ fall.

Obviously, pre spawn is gonna vary across every body of water. Temp. wise, is it warm enough? When fishing pre spawn, where are you targeting the big boys preparing to do their thing? Deep or shallow? Near structure or along the banks? They more active during a certain part of the day?

Any help/ thoughts/ input is much appreciated? Side note, bugs everywhere. Not sure what was hatching but there were a lot of 'em...

Down here in Brunswick the spawn is on fully but the last few weeks I’ve had huge success stripping a regular old size 12 wooly bugger weightless (same thing used for trout) and letting it “die” and sink SLOWLY over shallow brush piles. Watch the connection between fly line and leader for the bite and set the hook hard! Before the spawn I was getting about 50/50 bass and SLAB 15+ inch crappie. And surprisingly I caught a couple in the 4-5 lb range even on a size 12 bugger. Those fish are fun on my 4 wt!!!
All this is on an EXTREMELY pressured pond (the only public one in brunswick), but I think these fish have never seen a fly which gives success even when there’s 5 people fishing the pond at once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jjbeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 08:52 AM   #5
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...used to fish for largemouth in Lake Eufaula years ago when I had a bass boat...when the redbuds bloomed, they were staging late and bedding in some cases...water hasn't been that cold here, except for a few days in a row once or twice this Winter...I fished dropoffs and flats near shallow water in the creeks entering Eufaula...used to tear them up on salamanders...various colors...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 10:12 AM   #6
Jakkbauer
Native

If it's a small pond in the Vinings area most likely no need to get too technical with it. My neighborhood lake is on fire right now, im in Acworth. Sounds like you are maybe hitting the water at unlucky times when they have already feasted just keep hitting it and you will get them. The bugger suggestion sounded like the best advice so far to me. Anything that looks like a decent meal let sink slowly until you see the line move. If no action for 30sec lift up rod tip and let sink again one more time, if nothing twitch or hop back to you and recast. I really don't think you're doing anything wrong as the bass are eating whatever right now. Just figure out the feeding times. Good luck dude!

P. S. Play with colors based on water conditions, this is huge sometimes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 10:18 AM   #7
Jakkbauer
Native

One more thing. Not sure if there's any points or small docks but if you can find something like that with the wind pushing the water into a corner of a dock or off the bank of a point cast into these corners and the ends of points. Bigger fish will be chilling waiting to vaccum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 02:38 PM   #8
Groundhog
Native

Thx folks- much appreciated. Headed back over to the pond, here in a few, to give her another go.

On Friday, I mainly fished around the riser/ spillway which I figured to be the deepest section of the pond ( could very well be wrong about this... ). Fished the deep section ( or what I thought was deep ) all the way to the bank- killer little cove right there w/ tons of cover. Ain't got no depth finder but do have a brick tied to about 8-10 ft of string which I use as my anchor- hit bottom, in that area, w/ maybe a foot or two of slack. I was using a floating line w/ about a 4-5ft mono leader- maybe my flies weren't getting down far enough?

I'll report back later on, hopefully w/ a better outlook. Curious as to if, and how, this change in weather/ temp. will affect the fishing. I didn't think the conditions could've have been any better on Friday ( sunny, 82 degrees, slight breeze ) and we all know how that turned out...

Old 02-26-18, 10:50 AM   #9
UncleJesse
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I didn't think the conditions could've have been any better on Friday ( sunny, 82 degrees, slight breeze ) and we all know how that turned out...
Don't let the weather fool you, the prettiest weather can be the worse fishing. High pressure, blue bird days, require hard fishing to do well. Weather seem to affect fish in still water more than in moving from what I have seen. Best weather a slow dropping barometer.
Old 02-26-18, 11:05 AM   #10
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Pre-spawn is tough, especially in ponds. Because they warm quickly, you don't get that nice 2-3 week transition period of fish gorging themselves to get ready. It can go from cold/dead to fish having spawning on their minds in a matter of days. On small water, fish will usually pig out during warm spells in December and January and jump straight into a spawning mindset when it warms up. Once that happens, you pretty much have to sight fish to them until they come off beds.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote