NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-18, 12:41 PM   #11
richf7
Native

Until my late teens the only fresh water fishing I ever experienced was in ponds and small lakes, and it spoiled me for life. No boat, no electronics, just basic bank and dock fishing using popping bugs for bluegill, live minnows or spinners for crappie, plastics and a floating Rebel for bass. There was no such thing as fishing pressure and we never got skunked.

I miss those days.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 12:52 PM   #12
jonmo
Native

Pretty much the way I started my life of fishing too Rich..Eventually waders, boats etc came along, but there is something about those simple days..No reason you can't continue them though..Hit up a local pond and relive and create new memories.

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 02:26 PM   #13
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
One more thing. Not sure if there's any points or small docks but if you can find something like that with the wind pushing the water into a corner of a dock or off the bank of a point cast into these corners and the ends of points. Bigger fish will be chilling waiting to vaccum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

...before I had a boat, back in the 60's, me and my buds used to fish river docks and piers adjacent to boat launches...we'd use old Ambassadeurs with 20-25 lb test mono and jigs...Mann's Jelly worms made great jigs...once the top of the worm was chewed up or torn, we'd break the tail off and rig it on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig head...bump it and down next to rip-rap or dock pilings and ...WHAM !...

Blessings!

Jimmy

...wish I was 10 again...
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-18, 11:22 PM   #14
Groundhog
Native

Had much better luck on Sunday during the rain. Hooked into a nice fish but lost him somehow- bout 3 to hand and lost a few more. Buddy I was with tore it up on a crank bait. Def. reassuring...
Old 03-02-18, 07:40 AM   #15
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Had much better luck on Sunday during the rain. Hooked into a nice fish but lost him somehow- bout 3 to hand and lost a few more. Buddy I was with tore it up on a crank bait. Def. reassuring...
Nice. Im curious what the cooler temps will do to the pond Im fishing. I should have some info tomorrow if you wanna let this be a running pre spawn thread.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 08:10 AM   #16
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I have had a great deal of success using a gold floating Rapala on ultralite gear in ponds during the transition to Spring...let it sit til the ripples from its landing on the water subside...twitch it a few times, and see what happens...we are bound to have a March cold snap...not planting garden yet...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 08:16 AM   #17
jonmo
Native

Yeah Jerry, keep this thread going..Always interesting how spawning in smaller ponds can vary so much, even when they are in relatively close proximity..

Doc
Old 03-02-18, 11:57 AM   #18
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Check out your county's Parks & Rec's website....if there's water, there's fish.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Last edited by Windknot; 03-04-18 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Can't spel crap.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 04:02 PM   #19
JerryG
Native

Got on the same pond today around 830 or 9 and immediately noticed the beds were much less defined and no bass were seen on the bed. Last weekend they were all over the crawfish jig but today they'd hardly touch it. Total numbers were down slightly from last weekend but we still boated a pretty good many bass, mostly on jerkbaits with some good fish busting top water as well.

Best fish today went 3lb 12oz.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 07:44 AM   #20
jonmo
Native

That sounds like a pretty good day Jerry..The bass in our ponds are just starting to wake up..Certainly not on the beds yet, but every so often you can see them pinning some small bream up against the bank..They can be caught in the 'deeper' water (still only few feet deep) but not really in the shallows at this point..I'm hoping to get some time out there today..

Doc